Best Hypotheticals/ Would You Rathers

gguenotgguenot CA
edited September 2 in General
I loveeee coming up with interesting hypothetical questions that push imagination and put people in weird moral dilemmas.

No low haning fruit like "would you rather watch your parents have sex everyday for a year or join in once to make it stop" -- those are lazy and unnecessarily gross.

Here's one I like:

Would you rather live a continuous 1000 years at any age of your choosing or 10 separate 100 year lives (you retain the memories from each life).

What do you guys got?

Michelle

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Nice! I would say I'd live in 10 separate lives. Living for a 1000 years would be cool but damn it would be hard to just live on and on and on.

Would you rather be able to speak to all animals or speak any language?
    gguenotMichelle
  • Nice! I would say I'd live in 10 separate lives. Living for a 1000 years would be cool but damn it would be hard to just live on and on and on.

All animals for sure. I feel like there would be huge advancement in their lives and our lives as a result.

BUT if insects were invloved, the world would be really scary cause I feel like it could be used to raise insect armies against your enemies.
    Murderbear
  • Would you rather gain the ability to
    1. Travel anywhere in space instantaneously (teleportation).
    2. Travel anywhere in time. You can only travel backwards, and you automatically enter an ethereal plane in which you can't affect anything around you.
  • Definitely #2! Even if you can't affect anything, you can still make some decent money traveling back in time. Plus, just traveling back in time would be awesome.

What about you?
    Shum said:

Would you rather gain the ability to
    2. Travel anywhere in time. You can only travel backwards, and you automatically enter an ethereal plane in which you can't affect anything around you.

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 2
    gguenot said:

I loveeee coming up with interesting hypothetical questions that push imagination and put people in weird moral dilemmas.

No low haning fruit like "would you rather watch your parents have sex everyday for a year or join in once to make it stop" -- those are lazy and unnecessarily gross.

Here's one I like:

Would you rather live a continuous 1000 years at any age of your choosing or 10 separate 100 year lives (you retain the memories from each life).

What do you guys got?

I'd definitely live 10 separate 100 year lives.  

Nice! I would say I'd live in 10 separate lives. Living for a 1000 years would be cool but damn it would be hard to just live on and on and on.

I feel like having the ability to speak any language would be super beneficial in several ways, whereas talking to animals would only lead to you hearing "throw the ball throw the ball throw the ball throw the ball throw the ball" 100 times a day.  lol
    DeeKingKobraNoel
    Shum said:

Would you rather gain the ability to

This seems like a known vs. unknown to me.  Traveling anywhere in space places you in unknown territory, and what would you do there?  Would you be floating around space, or would you choose to exist on a planet (if you had that ability)?  On the other hand, traveling backward through time is somewhat safer just in terms of knowing where you are and having two feet on the ground.  Since the time you travel back to is of your choosing, you can go 'safe' vs. risky/dangerous/unsafe.  I would definitely choose to go back in time.  There are so many eras that I would go back to, although I'd love to go back to the '40s or '67-'69 San Francisco (I'd totally be a flower child).

Along this same line of thinking, would you rather have the ability to change the past or dictate the future?
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Music or Movies. You have to give up one.
  • 100 years in 10 consecutive incarnations. A. It essentially proves that reincarnation is legit, B. If I was a 1000 year immortal and no one else was I'd have to keep it a secret, people can reasonable be expected to live 100 years and reincarnation is an easier excuse since a lot of people currently believe in it.

Speak any language, I don't want to know what cows think, I already have enough problems eating them as it is, having deep conversations with animals I might have to kill some day sounds deeply troubling to me.

Teleportation (provided you can account for space/time warping) to anywhere on earth dramatically cuts down on my travel time and has fewer potentially catastrophic repercussions than time travel.

Dictate the future, once again influencing past events seems way to easy to mess up and wind up with a total human extinction event. It's relatively easier to be able to predict the future and act upon things that might happen, it's essentially just choosing which one of a multitude of possibilities you'd prefer to happen.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited September 2
    Limitless precognition though sounds like a good way to end up like Douche Bran, cold and unfeeling, I'd prefer my precognition to work in short intervals, just tell me what's going to happen like 5 minutes from now not 50 years. That would be an easy superpower to win bets with.
  • wasiwasi Melbourne, AU
    I heard this at the pub the other night....

Would you rather watch your parents have sex every day for the rest of your life or join in once?
    akritenbrink
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    edited September 2
    I would go ve up music, no contest

I'd rather watch them get busy every night (could maybe blank out or something)

100 years times 10 - I couldn't imagine living 1000 years and watching loved ones die over and over

Teleport

Speak any language

• edited September 2
  • Would you rather be able to read minds or be the most beautiful person on the planet?
  • Give me 1000 years at one age (There can be only one!!)

Speak to animals (some may have useful information since they have been alive so long).

Travel anywhere in space

Change the past (as that would also dictate the future)

Give up music (not even close) I grew up on a lot of talk radio, so music while big, would "hurt" less than movies. Plus I can get music IN movies :p

• voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited September 2
    Would you rather have the ability of bird-speed flight or that of at-will invisibility?

10 100yr lives, human languages, teleportation, i'd give up movies, give up favorite food, ... hmm...  read minds, i think, although that's a tough one for me because i can see that (either of those really) as potentially being a bit of a curse too.
  • Movies, I'll just read screenplays instead.

Be really beautiful, reading minds intoduces too many complications to ever have a genuine interaction with people, way easier to be pretty and use makeup or something to look less attractive than to stop reading minds when you don't want to.
  • Actively reading someone's mind to me sounds like the ultimate invasion of privacy and seems like it would get really creepy really fast, also it would probably make you more of a sociopath than just being beautiful, attractiveness can get you places but if someone's not attracted to your gender it's useless, reading someone's mind means you can have the perfect reaction to literally any question they have an manipulate them on basically every level, which sounds very super villain ish.
  • Human shapeshifter (Aka Mystique): turn into any human at will regardless of height or weight.

Or

Animal shapeshifter (Aka Animorph): turn into any animal at will regardless of height or weight.
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    TaraC73 said:

100 years times 10 - I couldn't imagine living 1000 years and watching loved ones die over and over

Teleport

Speak any language

Not only that, but could you ever truly love and appreciate every successive family you're born into if your perceptions of love in a family context were set by the first family?

Plus all the memories you retain will be obsolete by the next life, although this might make an interesting prequel novel to "the giver"

gguenotTaraC73
  • Variation to the Trolly Problem:

You're standing next to a train track and see a train barreling towards a group of 6 blindfolded people who are strangers to you. On a separate track is a non-blindfolded acquaintance looking at you. You have the ability to divert the train to the other track to kill the aquaintance or do nothing and let the 6 strangers die
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    gguenot said:

Variation to the Trolly Problem:

You're standing next to a train track and see a train barreling towards a group of 6 blindfolded people who are strangers to you. On a separate track is a non-blindfolded acquaintance looking at you. You have the ability to divert the train to the other track to kill the aquaintance or do nothing and let the 6 strangers die

My response to the trolley problem is that it is so contrived it is not really a great gage of ethics

But since you want an answer

I would leave the train on its course, if the engineer can't stop it then tough for the people on the track. If we reversed the scenario and my friend is in the original track same answer. Clearly so many safety breakdowns have occurred to this point that I cannot be held at fault
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited September 2

gguenot said:

My response to the trolley problem is that it is so contrived it is not really a great gage of ethics

But since you want an answer

I would leave the train on its course, if the engineer can't stop it then tough for the people on the track. If we reversed the scenario and my friend is in the original track same answer. Clearly so many safety breakdowns have occurred to this point that I cannot be held at fault
    It may be contrived, but it's not irrelevant and it's going to be something our society has to agree on, specifically when it comes to the advancement of self driving cars.

And the question assumes there is no conductor, no safety breakdowns occurred
  • gguenot said:

Save the strangers it's a numbers thing 6 vs 1.
    gguenotTaraC73

TaraC73 said:

Teleport

Speak any language

Not only that, but could you ever truly love and appreciate every successive family you're born into if your perceptions of love in a family context were set by the first family?

Plus all the memories you retain will be obsolete by the next life, although this might make an interesting prequel novel to "the giver"

So you would rather live 1000 years? Your reasoning is just as tough (perceptions being shaped by your previous 100-year life) as mine (living 1000 years and outliving all your loved ones)
  • TaraC73 said:

TaraC73 said:

Teleport

Speak any language

So you would rather live 1000 years? Your reasoning is just as tough (perceptions being shaped by your previous 100-year life) as mine (living 1000 years and outliving all your loved ones)
    The thing is with memories carried over, you'd still lose those loved ones. The only difference is that you are born, grow old and die 10 times. Give me one long good life at a certain age, I only "want" to die once ;) plus I could live like McCloud.....
    TaraC73
    Who wants... to live... FOREVERRRRRRR ;)
    KingKobra
  • edited September 2
    Between the Would You Rathers and the AMA... I think some Bald Move fans just really want to hook up.  I suspect we'll see an ASL thread by next week.
    DeeTaraC73phoenyx1023voodooratMichellejazzminawa
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    edited September 2
    Since football season just started, would you rather have to watch an entire baseball game every day for the rest of your life, or not be able to watch any football games live on TV or in person ever again?