Over the counter antidepressants?

sean.raysean.ray Texas
edited September 4 in General
google can only tell me so much. Anybody recommend anything for depression?

Thanks!

Comments

• emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA

Thanks!
    I recommend seeking help from a reputable licensed professional prior to beginning any mood altering medication. I am not aware of any over the counter medicine for clinical depression.
    Vasilnate1jazzminawa
  • K. Thanks I'll ask my doctor.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)

Thanks!
    I recommend seeking help from a reputable licensed professional prior to beginning any mood altering medication. I am not aware of any over the counter medicine for clinical depression.

Ditto

You can buy herbal supplements that say they help with depression, but in my experience they do not work.

You can talk to any primary care doctor about depression nowadays and they know what to do. It's not as big a hurdle as you might think; it's a common condition. And I only know what I take, but what I take is super cheap (Fluoxetine, generic Prozac).

Good luck to you!
  • St. John's Wort and 5HTP have been shown to help some people with mild depression, especially when combined with a proper diet, good sleeping patterns and exercise.  Clinical depression needs mood stabilizing drugs and therapy.
    Dee
  • Thanks for your recommendations. I've been feeling depressed and stressed for a few months, and thought I could just power through it, but that hasn't worked, and now I'm starting to feel it physically. (Mood swings, just under the weather dreariness for no apparent reason sort of stuff.)
    akritenbrink
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    sean.ray said:

Thanks for your recommendations. I've been feeling depressed and stressed for a few months, and thought I could just power through it, but that hasn't worked, and now I'm starting to feel it physically. (Mood swings, just under the weather dreariness for no apparent reason sort of stuff.)

Depression is hard to white knuckle through. 
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited September 4
    sean.ray said:

Thanks for your recommendations. I've been feeling depressed and stressed for a few months, and thought I could just power through it, but that hasn't worked, and now I'm starting to feel it physically. (Mood swings, just under the weather dreariness for no apparent reason sort of stuff.)

I don't know what the health care situation is like where you are, but if you're covered - talk to a doctor.  It's something that can be very, very treatable and the sooner that it's dealt with the better.  The best odds of recovery come from combining drugs with some form of counseling.  There's no shame in getting help, it will help you get back on track.   You wouldn't try to white-knuckle your way through a broken foot right?  If you need help, get it...you're not weak or whatever else you might think.  Recognizing that you need help and getting it is an affirmative action of strength, you're not giving in - you're reclaiming control that the illness is trying to take from you.
    Murderbear
  • Thanks everyone. I will talk to my doctor.
    CretanBullKingKobraakritenbrinkTaraC73
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    If it makes you feel better to air it out here then do it. Or PM me and I'll listen. Not a professional but I'm a good listener. Passion flower is a good herbal remedy for the stressed and down that's easy to get.
    CretanBullMurderbear
  • It's not a medication and shouldn't be taken in place of prescription drug (or whatever your doctor recommends) but drinking Chamomile tea is good to calm nerves.  It won't address depression, but will take the edge off of your stress (and help you sleep at night).
  • Vitamin B-12, Thiamine, Vitamin D.  Vitamins in general are good. Other than that dont put any chemicals in your body without a prescription.  If you drink alcohol you should try and stop, cut back on caffeine, and try to get more exercise.  And if you take a sleep aid like tylenol pm, try and stop that too
    Murderbear