Favorite conspiracy theory? And how do you deal with believers

This thread is two questions:
1) What are your favorite conspiracy theories? 
2) How do you deal with people that are seriously convinced that the conspiracy theory is true? Do you try to convince them otherwise or just block and move on?

I have a guy in my mentions on Twitter right now arguing that hurricanes and other storms are created by the government. A certain segment of Black Twitter seems to think that "hurricanes follow the paths of slave ships" and "are named after the people who made them" - all apparently in a plot by the government to try and kill us off. I finally got frustrated and blocked him but I was wondering if anyone had any success with this lol. 

Sorry if there's already another conspiracy theory thread I couldn't find one!

Comments

• I definitely believe in some conspiracy theories but I don't feel like being labelled a nut so I'm gonna respectfully decline... ;)
    KingKobragguenotTaraC73
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Aliens. Aliens are real and we have been visited in some way shape or form. But I try to apply logic to this too, even though its a conspiracy theory.  I think its as simple as looking at it like this: is it more likely that we are the only intelligent/sophisticated beings in the universe or is more likely there are other intelligent life forms out there. I guess the conspiracy part would be the government cover up aspect of it.
  • @Hatorian lol this is a safe space! Sometimes they're fun. The ones I like are the silly ones, like the NBA rigging the draft, or that Avril Lavigne actually died after her first album and has been replaced by a lookalike for the last ~15 years.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited September 5
    Katy Perry is actually JonBenet Ramsey is a very weird one. The fact that NASA wants us to believe the Earth is round is a hilarious one. And of course Cnemtrails are a fan favorite.

Pretty much anything Alex Jones spouts out of his disgusting hate hole is funny but in a sad kind of way. Like, "the chemicals they put in our water is making the frogs gay!" is a funny statement but when you listen to him on the Joe Rogan podcast and he goes on for a half hour about how our government is run by inter-galactic lizard vampire pedophiles who feed on children, it gets kind of sad after a while.
    gguenot
  • That's interesting; I wonder if the "hurricanes follow the paths of slave ships" has something to do with the fact that ships in the Triangle Trade followed "trade winds" that presumably also influence the formation of storms.

The single most mind-boggling "theory" I've ever heard was when a coworker stared right into my eyes and with deadly seriousness said "did you know that every Jew in New York called in sick on 9/11?" He was also convinced that the government was monitoring his phone lines and hacking his computer (it started to run slower after he torrented a bunch of stuff, you see) because he'd learned the ancient cure for cancer from his Native American girlfriend. Interesting guy.
    jazzminawa
  • It's hard for me to get into too many conspiracy theories given how many people actually believe in them in a way that ruins their lives and others, but I can generally get behind harmless, impossible to prove theories like Andy Kaufman faked his death as an elaborate prank.
    DaveyMac
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    The Royal Family having Princess Diana murdered is always one that comes up in the tabloid press every now and then in the UK.
  • My son was a 9/11 truther for a few months when he was like 13 or 14 after falling down some YouTube rabbit hole, but he grew out of it thankfully.

Most of the good old ones are becoming harder to support with the prevalence of phone cameras (Bigfoot, Nessy, alien abductions, etc.). You have to jump through some pretty spectacular hoops to explain the lack of increased pictorial evidence to correspond with the increase in cameras.
  • @Hatorian lol this is a safe space! Sometimes they're fun. The ones I like are the silly ones, like the NBA rigging the draft, or that Avril Lavigne actually died after her first album and has been replaced by a lookalike for the last ~15 years.

That's exactly what they say before slowly slipping the knife in your back :p
    akritenbrinkHatorianNoel
  • I've rid myself of almost all conspiracy theories once my eyes were opened to the pseudoscience bs, but one that's stuck with me was the JFK assasination. I'm not as rabid as I was before, but there's a bunch of questionable stuff that went on that day. Not all consiracies are tin foil hat conspiracies, but most are.
    darwinfeeshyTaraC73
  • I would guess the closest thing is Aliens, but really I just believe they exist, not that tbey have visited us.
  • I guess I also accept the possibility of alien life forms existing, it seems like given the almost infinite expanding universe some other life would exist out there and also that our current definition of what constitutes life may be flawed and non Carbon based life may be a possibility we've been unable to comprehend at this point in our scientific developments. On the other hand it was also a real long shot statistically that life on Earth even exists in the first place so who knows maybe we are actually just an anomaly in spacetime.
  • wasiwasi Melbourne, AU
    As Ali G said to Buzz Alrdin - 'Does the moon really exist?'

alexander.klassen
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    amyja89 said:

The Royal Family having Princess Diana murdered is always one that comes up in the tabloid press every now and then in the UK.

I wouldn't say it's true, but if it was ever revealed that it was, I would not be surprised.
    TaraC73
  • I'm always willing to believe in federal sponsored assassinations but I think the sheer number of people that would have to be involved in that sort of thing and not spill the beans on it seems incredibly unlikely in the modern world. Conspiracies work better the fewer number of people know about it.
    DaveyMac
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    "I have a guy in my mentions on Twitter right now arguing that hurricanes and other storms are created by the government."

Well, considering how reluctant your government (and ours) is to even acknowledge that climate change is a thing, let alone do something about it, he's not entirely wrong.

I don't think I believe in any conspiracy theories (and I'm not above getting into whacky bullshit - I read my stars in magazines). The one that always really confuses me is flat earthers. My daughter's friend's mum is full on about it. I just... why? How?

As for how to deal with them, I don't get into it. There's no reasoning with someone who is convinced that "they" are hiding something.
    Doctor_NickAlkaid13
  • Like I wouldn't be entirely surprised to learn someone in government was involved in the JFK murder but I really have know idea how something that big wouldn't have gotten out by now given all the other crazy shit we know the FBI and CIA were up to around that time.
  • Conspiracy theories are cool alternative fiction. Meeting people who fervently believe despite evidence is scary.
    DaveyMac
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Religion... Ignore
    gguenotamyja89
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Dee said:

amyja89 said:

I wouldn't say it's true, but if it was ever revealed that it was, I would not be surprised.
    Never made any sense to me personally. It's an unpopular opinion in these parts but I happen to think if Diana was still alive now she would be a tabloid laughing stock and embarrassment akin to the kind of antics that Sarah Ferguson got up to in her heyday.

Her death was a tragedy no doubt, but it also cemented a reputation and legacy that I never really felt was that genuine, or a reputation that she would have been able to uphold with growing distance to the Royal Family.

With the 20 year anniversary just gone the TV has been plagued with countless documentaries and I'm so fucking over it at this point lol. Just my opinion of course!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @amyja89 Oh, she was a trainwreck when she was alive, I've no doubt that would have just gotten worse. But I kind of get it - she wasn't that smart and she was way out of her depth with the insular royals, not to mention Camilla lurking in the background.
    amyja89
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA

That's interesting; I wonder if the "hurricanes follow the paths of slave ships" has something to do with the fact that ships in the Triangle Trade followed "trade winds" that presumably also influence the formation of storms.

The single most mind-boggling "theory" I've ever heard was when a coworker stared right into my eyes and with deadly seriousness said "did you know that every Jew in New York called in sick on 9/11?" He was also convinced that the government was monitoring his phone lines and hacking his computer (it started to run slower after he torrented a bunch of stuff, you see) because he'd learned the ancient cure for cancer from his Native American girlfriend. Interesting guy.

Alkaid13 said:

I'm always willing to believe in federal sponsored assassinations but I think the sheer number of people that would have to be involved in that sort of thing and not spill the beans on it seems incredibly unlikely in the modern world. Conspiracies work better the fewer number of people know about it.

Compartmentalization. Each person only knows what they need to know to carry out their part of the conspiracy.

The accountant only sees numbers, the supplier only sends supplies, the helicopter pilot only flies helicopters, they only know their task, then the number of people who know the true scope of what's occurring is very limited

That's interesting; I wonder if the "hurricanes follow the paths of slave ships" has something to do with the fact that ships in the Triangle Trade followed "trade winds" that presumably also influence the formation of storms.

Alkaid13 said:

I'm always willing to believe in federal sponsored assassinations but I think the sheer number of people that would have to be involved in that sort of thing and not spill the beans on it seems incredibly unlikely in the modern world. Conspiracies work better the fewer number of people know about it.

Compartmentalization. Each person only knows what they need to know to carry out their part of the conspiracy.

The accountant only sees numbers, the supplier only sends supplies, the helicopter pilot only flies helicopters, they only know their task, then the number of people who know the true scope of what's occurring is very limited

There is not many I believe, but the biggest conspiracy theory I believe in, I believe the Government covered up TWA 800. To refresh TWA 800 was the Boeing 747 en route to Paris that exploded and broke up off the coast of Long Island back in... 96 I want to say?

Anyway there were so many witnesses who say they saw an ascending smoke trail like that of a missile heading towards the sky prior to the incident, other witnesses out at sea said they saw a warship leaving the scene after the aircraft exploded.

The FBI agents reportedly harassed several witnesses claiming they didn't actually see the smoke trail, the NTSB report later said the smoke trail was debris from the accident flight traveling towards the water even though the witnesses who saw it all said the trail was ascending and before the explosion. The NTSB report claimed that the cause was a wire shorting inside the fuel tank, a type of accident which had never previously occurred on any type of airliner by any manufacturer and Boeing had been making that plane for 20 years at that point.

I believe the aircraft was downed with a missile and the government for reasons no one yet knows covered it up
  • My nephew has been posting the Flat Earth theory on Facebook, and trying to patiently explain it to his friends.  He's 23, too old to believe this rubbish.  Its really bothering me that he's on this bandwagon, but I am keeping my mouth shut.
  • can't remember the exact saying but it goes something like this.

"People love to believe in conspiracy theories and fear the master plans of evil controlling powers, but in reality the truth is that the world is just a place of chaos and no one being in control is actually much more scarier"

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 6
    i will go with a relatively harmless one. HH Holmes was actually Jack the Ripper. Its basically the first bunch of google sites when you google HH Holmes. 

a little less harmless, the potential that Hitler did escape Germany. I really enjoyed Hunting Hitler even though i didn't really believe it. Some of the stuff they found was pretty cool and to hear that almost every government had an open case on him was intriguing. but most likely he died as originally thought, and then body was burned to avoid being displayed as a trophy. 
  • edited September 6
    "I have a guy in my mentions on Twitter right now arguing that hurricanes and other storms are created by the government."

Well, considering how reluctant your government (and ours) is to even acknowledge that climate change is a thing, let alone do something about it, he's not entirely wrong.

I don't think I believe in any conspiracy theories (and I'm not above getting into whacky bullshit - I read my stars in magazines). The one that always really confuses me is flat earthers. My daughter's friend's mum is full on about it. I just... why? How?

As for how to deal with them, I don't get into it. There's no reasoning with someone who is convinced that "they" are hiding something.
    @dee

True - I wouldn't disagree with a measured argument correlating the possibility of our countrywide refusal to take actions that could slow or reduce climate change in turn having an impact on why storms, sea levels, etc. are so devastating lately. 

That's not what he was saying. His argument was that our government has secret weather machines that somehow create hurricanes and other storms and drop them on cities at will, for (African-American) population control reasons. 
    DeeKingKobra
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    looks like we have another 'Hurricane's are a Liberal conspiracy'  fella on our hands...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rush-limbaugh-hurricane-irma-powerful-205856331.html
    Chinaski said:

looks like we have another 'Hurricane's are a Liberal conspiracy'  fella on our hands...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rush-limbaugh-hurricane-irma-powerful-205856331.html

I actually heard that monologue this morning, to say the author of the article is creating a straw man would qualify for understatement of the month