Trevorrow: out of Episode IX

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/colin-trevorrow-as-director-star-wars-episode-ix-1035463

Star Wars directors are dropping like flies. Can they just get Rian to do this one too? Sounds like he hasn't had the issues clashing with Disney that others have.

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I saw lots of people on Twitter happy he was leaving. Is that just cause he directed Jurassic World or is he an actual bad guy?
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i enjoyed safety not guaranteed
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    That's a great movie! I'm a big ol fan of Aubrey Plaza.
  • I saw lots of people on Twitter happy he was leaving. Is that just cause he directed Jurassic World or is he an actual bad guy?

Yea I think a lot of people didn't like Jurassic World and were skeptical about him helming another big nostalgia property, and then his most recent movie The Book of Henry, was apparently awful and tanked in the box office, so that pushed it over the edge.

I liked Safety Not Guaranteed as well, but who know how that translates to directing the finale of the biggest movie trilogy if the century. If Return of the Jedi is good I'd prefer Johnson to bring it in for a landing, if he has the will to do it.
    GredalBeeMurderbear
  • @MrX don't you mean Last of the Jedi ;)
    MrX
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited September 6
    Trevorrow is hit and miss with me so I'm neutral to this news, although it's concerning the number of problems the Star Wars franchise is having with directors recently. I really think they need a new Lucas type to influence the series in the background while the individual directors do their own takes, I mean you can't replicate Lucas, but you need someone with an idea of where all this is headed. Otherwise I fear the franchise is going to devolve into a series of somewhat connected movies, some of which are great and some of which are not depending on who's directing them.
  • KingKobra said:

@MrX don't you mean Last of the Jedi ;)

My brain must have mistakenly auto-corrected, lol

KingKobra
  • Alkaid13 said:

Trevorrow is hit and miss with me so I'm neutral to this news, although it's concerning the number of problems the Star Wars franchise is having with directors recently. I really think they need a new Lucas type to influence the series in the background while the individual directors do their own takes, I mean you can't replicate Lucas, but you need someone with an idea of where all this is headed. Otherwise I fear the franchise is going to devolve into a series of somewhat connected movies, some of which are great and some of which are not depending on who's directing them.

I think they do have someone in Kennedy who has a grand "vision" of what the studio wants done with the series. It seems however that a couple of the most recent directors didn't share that vision or at least couldn't execute on it fully. Kennedy and the studio know how important this franchise is. Sometimes, what sounds good on paper (xyz director) just dosent work when it gets to doing the work. We'll see what happens, but this far I haven't been disappointed.
  • KingKobra said:

Alkaid13 said:

I think they do have someone in Kennedy who has a grand "vision" of what the studio wants done with the series. It seems however that a couple of the most recent directors didn't share that vision or at least couldn't execute on it fully. Kennedy and the studio know how important this franchise is. Sometimes, what sounds good on paper (xyz director) just dosent work when it gets to doing the work. We'll see what happens, but this far I haven't been disappointed.
    I think Lawrence Kasdan has been heavily involved in guiding the story for the new trilogy as well ... and he certainly also is deeply invested in this thing being made the right way.
    KingKobra
  • From a Vulture article:

“During the making of Jurassic World, he focused a great deal of his creative energies on asserting his opinion,” the executive explains. “But because he had been personally hired by Spielberg, nobody could say, ‘You’re fired.’ Once that film went through the roof and he chose to do Henry, [Trevorrow] was unbearable. He had an egotistical point of view— and he was always asserting that.”

Then, during preproduction on Episode IX, Trevorrow’s relationship with Lucasfilm top brass became reportedly “unmanageable” over the course of “repeated stabs at multiple drafts” of the script.

“When the reviews for Book of Henry came out, there was immediately conjecture that Kathy was going to dump him because they weren’t thrilled with working with him anyway,” the executive continues. “He’s a difficult guy. He’s really, really, really confident. Let’s call it that.”

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/star-wars-episode-8-colin-trevorrow-firing-explanation.html
    Murderbear
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    DaveyMac said:

From a Vulture article:

“During the making of Jurassic World, he focused a great deal of his creative energies on asserting his opinion,” the executive explains. “But because he had been personally hired by Spielberg, nobody could say, ‘You’re fired.’ Once that film went through the roof and he chose to do Henry, [Trevorrow] was unbearable. He had an egotistical point of view— and he was always asserting that.”

Then, during preproduction on Episode IX, Trevorrow’s relationship with Lucasfilm top brass became reportedly “unmanageable” over the course of “repeated stabs at multiple drafts” of the script.

“When the reviews for Book of Henry came out, there was immediately conjecture that Kathy was going to dump him because they weren’t thrilled with working with him anyway,” the executive continues. “He’s a difficult guy. He’s really, really, really confident. Let’s call it that.”

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/star-wars-episode-8-colin-trevorrow-firing-explanation.html

The nerve of a director asserting his opinion!
  • I think episode 9 should be the end of the Skywalker saga. Not the end of Star Wars. I know he's not a great director but he created it and I would find it satisfying for George Lucas to direct episode 9 and officially end the Skywalker saga.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Alkaid13 said:

Disney's always been amazing about branding. I'm not worried about this. All my princess movies are usually on point. :)