701 - Election Night

Director: Bradley Buecker
Writer: Ryan Murphy & Brad Falchuk

Cecily and I will begin our Season 7 coverage with a podcast coming out this Thursday! Send feedback here and at ahs@baldmove.com!
KingKobraCecilygguenotcdriverealityzealotElisaTaraC73

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Yus! We got an intro!
    KingKobra
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    I have sooooo maaaany thoughts and we're only halfway through with a whole 24 hours until we can talk about it!!!

Consider this your trigger warning ;)
    Joe_BearrealityzealotKingKobraFrakkin TCodyHarris821
  • Wow. This opening. Cheeto Jesus. Fuck you Nate Silver! Hilarious.

And tense. And frightening. Off to a good start.
    Frakkin T
  • This shit cray. It's impossible for me to see it outside of AHS's evolution though. It must be completely outrageous to someone who doesn't know the show.
    Frakkin T

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Haha, wow. Man, Murphy is trying to piss off alllllll the people.
    KingKobraFrakkin Talina_mac
  • That went by quick, the one thing I do know is that Evan Peters girlfriend needs to die a slow painful death.
    Frakkin T
    edited September 6
    Stasi-style Zersetzung!!!! Gang Stalking! Scientologists and JWs do it also!
    AHS returning to form. Strong performances by Peters and Paulson. Newsroom actor is a major addition. I'm not creeped out by Clowns but some of the scariest costumes are these Deep Swamp LA Mardi Gras style fuckin True Detective S1 freaky ass masks.
  • I've enjoyed all (most) of the AHS seasons, but this pilot has me most excited!
  • Embarrassing part was that I said pretty much everything the liberals said on election night regarding Huffington Post, Nate Silver, etc lol
    realityzealotalina_macjazzminawa
  • Soooooo stoked for all the political discussion this season's promising!
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City

"Was there blood? And poop?"

I could not stop laughing at the line for some reason. The weirdest most serious questions I've heard.

"I know nothing..."
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 6
    Really great episode, scared the crap out of me. I can't handle clowns, so I was feelin' it (not on the same level though of course) right along with Sarah Paulson (who, btw, can we just give the Emmy to now?). That title credit sequence though... scary AF. So glad it's back! Can't wait for next week.
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • I skipped last season, but, I am back, all-in.  This was fantastic.  It felt very John Carpenter with the addition of social commentary.
    So what? No f*kin ziti now?
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I noticed a much more imposing score than in recent seasons, very John Carpenter like @tom_g said, especially with the big houses and suburb settings.

I'm not gonna lie, I've got serious Trump fatigue at this point, but if the first episode used the election as a starting off point for some more separated crazy shit to go down then I'm cool. Had to love Murphy sticking it to the Jill Stein congregation, especially after presumably spending most the last year with Susan Sarandon making Feud!
  • amyja89 said:

I noticed a much more imposing score than in recent seasons, very John Carpenter like @tom_g said, especially with the big houses and suburb settings.

I'm not gonna lie, I've got serious Trump fatigue at this point, but if the first episode used the election as a starting off point for some more separated crazy shit to go down then I'm cool. Had to love Murphy sticking it to the Jill Stein congregation, especially after presumably spending most the last year with Susan Sarandon making Feud!
    It also had that trumpet-y presidential feel to it-- similar to the House of Cards opening score.
    alina_mac
  • man... the trypophobia is being laid thick
    gguenotTaraC73
  • I am excited for this season. The election is being used as a backdrop for Ryan Murphy get out what some of us have been thinking/feeling. Although, I have to admit Sarah Paulson's character is already grating on my nerves. I am excited to see where this season takes us though.

ElisaTaraC73
  • alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    tom_g said:

It felt very John Carpenter...

I agree! The scene in the supermarket felt very old school horror movie. Like Kubrick in The Shining, we got the down low wheel turning perspective and and the random costumed sex scene. 

I think Winter (Billie Lourd, Carrie Fisher's daughter) and Kai (Evan Peters) are brother and sister, possibly twins. They seem to be two sides of the same exaggerated coin. 

The color schemes and costumes seem reminiscent of The Purge and The Strangers, I'm really excited to see where the story goes. 

Question to the community: Is the clown gang real?  Was Ally having a psychotic break in the market? Was Oz having a similar delusion after reading about Twisty and watching snuff films on the Dark Web?
    Elisa
  • I wasn't sure - brother/sister or lovers.  Leaning brother/sister.
    TaraC73
    So what? No f*kin ziti now?
    I wonder if we'll see Denis O'Hare this season?  I have loved him in everything he's done on this show.  I still have a love for his Elizabeth Taylor character in 'Hotel'.  I think it's my favorite of the roles he's done.  

I can't help but to hear @A_Ron_Hubbard say this with the prolonged 'flowwweeerrrrsssssss' (from the Hotel podcast).  Ha. :)

Now - back to 'Cult' - @tom_g, you may be right about Kai and Winter being brother/sister.  There is some deep connection there.  Speaking of both, I can't wait for their demise.  They are both horrible, horrible people.

I couldn't help but wonder if maybe Ivy has a hand in Ally's tormented visions of the clowns and the (worms, I think it was?  Blood?) coming from the food that she'd served her.  I mean, she probably doesn't - but it wouldn't be beneath Murphy to add some weird twist to this relationship.  @alina_mac, I definitely think this insane clown posse is real but I also think they have a way of invading one's headspace, i.e. Ally's visions in the grocery store.  Or, they are real but can only be seen by those who have a legitimate fear of clowns or who have a connection to them (Winter, I'm lookin' at you!), which is maybe why the store clerk didn't see them and the police had no reason to believe that they were in the neighbor's home at all.

I have to say though, as much as clowns scare the bejesus out of me, it was kind of cool to see another Twisty makeout-sesh-in-the-park scene.  He's really got an issue with people having sex.  I'd like to see Cheyenne Jackson's therapist character sit down with Twisty to really uncover why that's a hot button issue for him and to dive into the scary dark place that is Twisty's head.  Of course, that will never ever happen, but ya know.
    Cecilyalina_maccdrive
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I haven't done my homework, is Kathy Bates set to be in this season at all? Both her and Angela Bassett would be two big presences to lose, terrible accents regardless!
    Michelle
    I haven't done my homework, is Kathy Bates set to be in this season at all? Both her and Angela Bassett would be two big presences to lose, terrible accents regardless!
    I agree.  I love Kathy Bates.  Unfortunately she won't be back for this season.

amyja89
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    From wikipedia:

Main

Supporting cast

Michelle
  • I wasn't sure - brother/sister or lovers.  Leaning brother/sister.

Given this is AHS, I am expecting both!!

I'm really glad Bald Move will be covering this show again! It's one of my favorites, even when it's not so good. Just some of thoughts about this first ep...

Was Winter's work on the Hillary campaign a reason Hillary lost (in AHS world)?

Mr. Chang (the city council president/Ally's neighbor) said what many of us in the "liberal bubble" wish we could say to the radical Trump supporters/white nationalists. I, too, am tired of Internet trolls fucking with people's lives for the lols and to create chaos and gain power. Unfortunately, it didn't end well for Mr. Chang...

Old-school scary movie vibes, especially in the grocery store. I 100% would have been turning my ass around and leaving the deserted store when the grocery store clerk leered at me while putting on a Trump hat. And why you did keep picking up the rosés, Ally? That's my wine of choice!

Is Ally hallucinating or are the clowns all real? Could it be a supernatural thing -- maybe they transmit their spirits while a cult trance or something? 

Is Ivy involved in the cult? Does she have something to do with the clowns?

Winter questioned Oz about his bio-dad. Maybe the sperm donor was involved in the cult and the cult is trying to kidnap Oz back? Or, if Ivy is involved with the cult, she made some deal with the devil to get pregnant? I also haaaated the dark web scenes, poor baby Oz! He's too little for that shit. I hope the actor was seeing a blank screen when they recorded that, I always worry about the child actors in scary movies.

Is Billy Eichner going to scream at everybody like he does in the other roles I've seen him in before? Was he in this episode? I didn't notice if so, maybe he's a clown?
    Elisa
  • bertnee said:

I wasn't sure - brother/sister or lovers.  Leaning brother/sister.

Was Winter's work on the Hillary campaign a reason Hillary lost (in AHS world)?
    I was under the impression that it was a lie and she was just pandering to their liberalness and embellishing her "resume" to secure the nanny job
    Elisa
  • Wasn't really impressed with the premiere. Just felt so stereotyped.

Like the democrats and non whites are LGBT snowflakes who need trigger warnings and the republicans are racist bigot assholes. I know it's the first episode but I really hope they show some diversity in characters and their political beliefs.

Also I'm sure there will be some deeper meaning around the "cult" title that refers to how brainless and robotic some political party followers are and how stupid it is to have 2 parties and such a black and white political system in such a grey world.
    Elisa
    No Half Measures....
  • @Hatorian isnt that the entire point? (the stereotypical portrayals) it was meant to portray the extreme "examples" that one side calls the other side.
    Elisaalina_mac
  • KingKobra said:

@Hatorian isnt that the entire point? (the stereotypical portrayals) it was meant to portray the extreme "examples" that one side calls the other side.

after 1 episode I can't say what the point is. I hope Ryan Murphy has a much more intelligent story to tell than what I saw so far.
    No Half Measures....
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 7
    Personally if the season is all about democrats being victims and republicans being evil it would be pretty disappointing. I'm independent myself and have no affiliation. So I have no cards in the game. It would suck if this is just the creators way to push their own political agenda. But like I said it's only 1 episode and who knows where they go.
    mwspiak
    No Half Measures....