Hurricane Irma Watch

Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
edited September 6 in General
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/06/548835758/hurricane-irma-pushes-toward-puerto-rico-with-florida-in-its-sights

Here's to the people in the Caribbean and Puerto Rico, hopefully this one turns away before it hits Florida because it looks real bad. If you're in the path of this one you should seriously consider evacuating and fully stock up on all supplies if you can't. Stay safe, stay smart.
TravisgguenotMichelleDancesWithWookiesweeniegirl

Comments

• I can't believe it. Another one, already. Yeah, stay safe everybody.

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

• MrXMrX CO
    edited September 6
    I stayed in Saint Martin a few years ago, that island looks totally devastated form the first pictures coming out. Islands like it rely on tourism and the a lot of the locals live in poverty, it's gonna be a really tough recovery.

Best of luck to those in Florida and anywhere else in the path, stay safe!
    TravisMichelle
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    So scary, and for people living on those islands, there's nowhere to go.
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• For those wondering about the devastation that is occurring. This was a video with an interview of the PM and those that live on the island. We can only hope Jose does not hit them as well.

https://www.facebook.com/abstvradio/videos/1505370289562190/

I really hope those in FL heed the warnings and do not take this storm lightly.
    Michelle
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    Unfortunately these once every thousand years storm turning into one every decade storms (and droughts), won't change our administrations outdated view on climate change.
    cdriveMichellejazzminawaDaveyMacElisaweeniegirl
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited September 7
    My mom right now is visiting my younger brother who lives in Ft Lauderdale. Talked to them today. Can't help but worry. My mom flies back mid-day Friday but I'm afraid of delays. My brother is hunkering down with some coworkers and his boss. They're outside the mandatory evacuation zone.
    Michelle
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    @cdrive geez buddy your family has had a tough couple of weeks, hope they are safe. From the predictions they are right in the firing line, do they have an option to get out earlier, that Friday flight seems almost too late but if that's the only flight than there isn't much more they can do. 

I listen to the Lebatard show based in Miami and they were saying they are for the first time in a long time actually scared of this storm. They also mentioned that there are already areas running out of bottled water and other necessary items. I guess that's the issue with South Florida because you can only head North. 

A little bit ignorant on this but is South Florida prone to flooding? it would seem with all the inlets, rivers, canals wetlands etc it should flood. Is that likely to be the issue here more than wind?
  • @davemcb i have a friend that has family in Miami. Miami area is prone to flooding. His family has already been through a Cat 5 so they are staying.
    davemcb
  • My cousin recently moved to Jamaica, they (think) they're going to be fine there but she was on her way to the Dominican Republic and her flight was cancelled - they're expecting to get hit hard.
    KingKobra said:

@davemcb i have a friend that has family in Miami. Miami area is prone to flooding. His family has already been through a Cat 5 so they are staying.

I thought it would be likely to flood given all the water that is already there. 

Hope your family stay safe @KingKobra and hopefully it turns east and doesn't directly drill South Florida
    edited September 7
    @davemcb, yeah it's some crap luck right? East of Federal Hwy is mandatory evacuation cause of the storm surge. My brother is west of that road and Dixie Hwy. He and his group are also half a mile from a Hospital. I urged him to not hesitate to go to a shelter or go to that big hospital if he has to. I looked up his address on an elevation site. 1.8 meter. It didn't make me feel great. Cat 5 Andrew in '92 completely rewrote the building codes in that area. I looked at Andrew aftermath photos and freaked myself out.

It should be in Cuba when my mom flies out. Rain bands around the airport but nothing too torrential yet.

Hopefully it calms down to a Cat 4 or 3 before Florida.

He's with a group and they have supplies. I'm going to keep telling him to go to the nearest shelter, that hospital if he has to, if it doesn't lose strength and maintains its path.
    davemcb
  • Besides the loss of life and culture that these large scale storms entail, if we keep having to endure this every year or so we're not going to be in a good state financially either, I mean we can't not pay to rebuild but also we can't spend billions literally twice a year every year. I don't know it seems like this pattern is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
    Elisa
  • I really feel bad for the Caribbean islands in the path who don't have a large government like the US to support them, it'll take them years to rebuild and some of them may not have anywhere to relocate, if all of the Cubans lose their homes it's not like they can move in with relatives in another state until their house is rebuilt.
    jazzminawadavemcbDaveyMacElisa
    @cdrive yeah I would hope at only 1.8m elevation he should probably try and either leave or get to the highest safe point around. Hopefully it does drop back to a cat 4 or 3, Andrew's biggest impact was wind wasn't it whereas Harvey seems to have been the volume of rain and Katrina was the storm surge. The code improvements since Andrew should hopefully give you some hope that the newer buildings are up to code. It looks like Irma has a lot of Andrew about her but its a massive storm. 

@Alkaid13 its not only that the governments don't have the money to support the people its that they use the money to help themselves rather than the people. The building codes also probably aren't as stringent as other countries that are impacted by hurricanes/cyclones. 
    cdrive
  • Alkaid13 said:

Besides the loss of life and culture that these large scale storms entail, if we keep having to endure this every year or so we're not going to be in a good state financially either, I mean we can't not pay to rebuild but also we can't spend billions literally twice a year every year. I don't know it seems like this pattern is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Yup, and that's not to mention the cost of the wildfires currently burning out West.

davemcbElisa
    Alkaid13 said:

Besides the loss of life and culture that these large scale storms entail, if we keep having to endure this every year or so we're not going to be in a good state financially either, I mean we can't not pay to rebuild but also we can't spend billions literally twice a year every year. I don't know it seems like this pattern is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

I think the long term solution is going to be human migration away from these types of danger zones. You already see this happening in some of the hottest places on Earth. It's a political consequence to climate change that I don't know if everyone really thinks about. 

I'm kind of wishing I had money for real estate in Canada right now haha.

Angie Kritenbrink

Going to Gulf Coast side now. Stay strong, my Gulf Coast Brothers and Sisters. Worried about Sanibel, Captiva, Cabbage Key.

davemcb said:

@cdrive yeah I would hope at only 1.8m elevation he should probably try and either leave or get to the highest safe point around. Hopefully it does drop back to a cat 4 or 3, Andrew's biggest impact was wind wasn't it whereas Harvey seems to have been the volume of rain and Katrina was the storm surge. The code improvements since Andrew should hopefully give you some hope that the newer buildings are up to code. It looks like Irma has a lot of Andrew about her but its a massive storm. 

@Alkaid13 its not only that the governments don't have the money to support the people its that they use the money to help themselves rather than the people. The building codes also probably aren't as stringent as other countries that are impacted by hurricanes/cyclones. 
    My mom got back to H-Town. She extended her stay a few days at her hotel for my brother to stay at. Big concrete building with hurricane windows. He's 25 ft up now. He's much safer now. The hotel is even keeping their piano bar open all thru the storm.
    Michelleakritenbrinkdavemcb
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm about 1 hour south of ATL and mildly freaking out. The eye (or what's left of it) is currently projected to go right over us. I'm surrounded by trees. Between the gusts and tornadoes, we are definitely losing power for at least a day, probably more. I went through Ike in Houston in 2008 (or 2009?) and lost power for 3 weeks, so I'm tetchy about this. ;)
    cdriveElisa
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited September 9
    I'm about an hour north of ATL, I think it'll downgrade to tropical storm before it reaches Georgia but there might be some chance of tornados so make sure you have a good storm shelter nearby just in case. Power outage is probably a guarantee though so stock up on flashlights.
    JaimieT
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    My dad is in Daytona beach and he is sticking it out. He's about 30 miles from the beach. I think he's fucking crazy but he says he's safe. He couldn't find bottled water anywhere but since he's a Diet Cokeaholic he has some empty two liters, he's washed them and filled them with tap water. He waited almost 4 hours for gas. He is the manager at a storage facility and lives in the apartment above the office. He has his windows taped, drapes and blinds drawn and has a safe spot if there ends up being any tornados.

He said don't worry, my car is parked in an empty 10x15... I'm not worried about your car, dad. Ugh so stubborn. He WILL evacuate if a mandatory evac is issued for his city/county. But otherwise sticking it out. Stubborn, stubborn old man.
    cdrive
    Don't tell me what I can't do!
  • Well, maybe if the hurricane sticks to the gulf side Daytona won't be hit as hard as, say, Tampa or Miami. Though I know if I lived anywhere in Florida by the coast I'd be moving far north right now.
    TaraC73
  • By the way if anyone is the storm path you should check this site regularly.
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/cyclones/
    TaraC73
    @Alkaid13 me too! It's the wind that scares me most for him... not so much water/rain. Thanks for that site it's very helpful!
    Upstairs is not a great place to be during tornadoes.
    TaraC73

Angie Kritenbrink

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited September 9
    Do people hide upstairs during tornados? Every around here gets as far underground in as secure of a bunker as possible.
    Alkaid13 said:

Do people hide upstairs during tornados? Every around here gets as far underground in as secure of a bunker as possible.

She said her dad lives in an upstairs apartment. I'm hoping he's not riding it out up there.

Yeah, basements are ideal, unless there's a chance your basement will flood.

Angie Kritenbrink

He lives in an upstairs apartment, yep. But he's a 15 second sprint to the steps that lead to the inside of the cement walled office without windows, and the back half of it is somewhat underground (hard to explain)... no basement.
    akritenbrink
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Any of you who live in the affected areas, or if you have friends and/or family there - I hope everyone is safe!  Tara, let us know how dad fares!
    TaraC73cdrive
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
    Will do!