Anyone do any fun lawn work projects this summer?

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
edited September 6 in General
I got really into lawn work this summer after my lawn mowing guy quit and I decided to do it myself. I did have to buy a lawn mower, a trimmer, and a bunch of smaller cost items but I think I did  save money in the long haul... (?)

We had some bare patches in the lawn and through a bunch of internet research and a DIY soil test, I determined the soil was acidic, and put down some lime. I bought some grass seed to overseed but haven't put it down yet as grass seed needs a lot of water, and we have had basically zero rain throughout July and August and it doesn't look like fall rains will start for at least another week. 

My favorite project this year - I had a downspout that wasn't draining well- it was just pooling around a rhodie that was there. So I filled in the hole where it was pooling with rhodie clippings when I pruned it (and eventually put mulch over top of that) and later in the summer I built a little drainage ditch/dry creek. 

Before:
After:
Michelle

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 7
    I didn't really do any lawn work this summer, but I did plant more flowers in decorative half-barrel planters in my back yard. I also planted and grew my very first tomato - which is not such a huge feat, but it made me happy. :)

akritenbrink
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    @Michelle Fun, I have some tomato plants too, but they are just now starting to ripen. 
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California

@Michelle Fun, I have some tomato plants too, but they are just now starting to ripen. 

This one's a Hybrid tomato.  I'd never heard of it before, but I'm curious as to why only one tomato grew on it. :/

Next year I may try other veggies instead, maybe peas, cucumbers, & carrots.  I'm trying to get into growing my own veggies so that it's more organic. Do you grow anything else?  
  • I'm currently attempting to grow bell peppers and basil. The basil is looking good but unfortunately I don't actually know what to make with all my basil now. Kind of wish I had some kind of mint or sage instead.
    akritenbrinkMichelle
    Alkaid13 said:

I'm currently attempting to grow bell peppers and basil. The basil is looking good but unfortunately I don't actually know what to make with all my basil now. Kind of wish I had some kind of mint or sage instead.

You can make pesto and freeze it.

Michelle
    Michelle said:

This one's a Hybrid tomato.  I'd never heard of it before, but I'm curious as to why only one tomato grew on it. :/

Next year I may try other veggies instead, maybe peas, cucumbers, & carrots.  I'm trying to get into growing my own veggies so that it's more organic. Do you grow anything else?  
    I have a raised bed that the former inhabitants of this house left behind, so I made an effort to plant some things, and a lettuce and a radish survived haha. But I don't think I am going to make an effort with vegetables next year because I just don't find it tha tinteresting.

I also have a little area where I am growing herbs- I have two different rosemarys (one was dying so I bought another one and then I moved the first one and it got better), some hyssop and a lemon balm. I find that more interesting and ordered some seeds for some more herbs and flowers for next year.
    Michelle