White Walkers weapons Frozen Shard of Ice vs Dragon Glass.

edited September 2017 in Game of Thrones
Hey Jim, A.Ron big fan, first post.  I have read the books, Follow the show, love the discussion.  Apologies for if this was already asked, there isn't enough time in a westeros summer to check all the topics.  Anyway here we go.

Dragon Glass has yes been proven to destroy the undead, the white walkers, wights, you name it even that damn Polar Bear  go Jorah with the 1 time in the neck.
As we have seen about every main character actually has a dragon glass dagger or short sword on their person in costume, (Jon uses his in the dragon pit. )  But could a Dragon glass like sword, dagger, what have you, stop the weapons of the White Walkers like Valyrian Steel,  Or is it more like a Coup de gras 1 time chance between fighters.  

P.S. The capturing of the undead plot point was not stupid,  No matter what anyone says no one would believe this was happening unless they saw it with their own eyes, even if it was on TV or livestreamed from a news Crewmen.  The Idea isnt that farfetched folks.

Comments

• Svornair said:

Hey Jim, A.Ron big fan, first post.  I have read the books, Follow the show, love the discussion.  Apologies for if this was already asked, there isn't enough time in a westeros summer to check all the topics.  Anyway here we go.

Dragon Glass has yes been proven to destroy the undead, the white walkers, wights, you name it even that damn Polar Bear  go Jorah with the 1 time in the neck.
    As we have seen about every main character actually has a dragon glass dagger or short sword on their person in costume, (Jon uses his in the dragon pit. )  But could a Dragon glass like sword, dagger, what have you, stop the weapons of the White Walkers like Valyrian Steel,  Or is it more like a Coup de gras 1 time chance between fighters.  

P.S. The capturing of the undead plot point was not stupid,  No matter what anyone says no one would believe this was happening unless they saw it with their own eyes, even if it was on TV or livestreamed from a news Crewmen.  The Idea isnt that farfetched folks.

You might have a point. We have our own political leaders trying to deny goddamn climate change after all.
    Svornair
  • Are you asking if a dragon glass (obsidian) sword can parry an attack from a White Walker blade?  No- obsidian is hard and brittle, so any hard object hitting it with a reasonable amount of force would shatter the obsidian.  Dragon glass can reasonably be used as weapons as spear points, arrowheads, daggers and axe heads. 
    Svornair
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited September 2017

Svornair said:

You might have a point. We have our own political leaders trying to deny goddamn climate change after all.
    "Bringing a wight down to King's Landing" is the GoT version of when Jim Inhofe brought a snowball onto the senate floor to disprove global warming. I mean that in the sense that it's about all that side has for evidence. Ha ha.
    Svornair
  • Svornair said:

It was stupid because the point of doing it was to get Cersei to accept a truce, which was obviously never going to happen.
    Svornair
  • Are you asking if a dragon glass (obsidian) sword can parry an attack from a White Walker blade?  No- obsidian is hard and brittle, so any hard object hitting it with a reasonable amount of force would shatter the obsidian.  Dragon glass can reasonably be used as weapons as spear points, arrowheads, daggers and axe heads. 

Thank you for responding and commenting, thank you for being active and easy on me lol.
    I guess to better to clarify my confusion, Is Obsideon in "a song of Ice and Fire" is Obsideon a natural mineral or element
    in the world of westeros?

I think I thought that dragon glass was a product of Dragons Fire, forging rock and stone, and for lack of better words, some how magically enchanting it to a greater value.  or am i simply misunderstanding that they are the same thing?

And my Cu de grace statement i ment, would a Dragon Glass Sword (in theory) be destroyed instantly (like iron and castle forged steel) or could it hold its own when being stuck by the White Walkers Ice weapons?
  • Svornair said:

It was stupid because the point of doing it was to get Cersei to accept a truce, which was obviously never going to happen.
    Thanks Tele for your comment, and I have thought about it and I think you and so many others are right,  it is stupid that Jon and his companions would venture north for such a silly reason.  
    BUTTT  Lets not forget, Thats what they went for but thats not what was truly obtained.  We, and Jon and his companions learned something more important then anything the show had yet to reveal.  And that is, When a White Walker is killed all of his homies Go down with him... 
    I think when we saw that happen in the capture scene we alllllllllll had a gasping glimmer  of how to ACTUALLY and Legitimately STOP the Undead horde?

AND WHY THE FK DIDNT DANNY TURN DRAGON ABOUT FACE AND BREATH ON THAT LEADER LIKE GROUP PACK SURROUNDING THE NIGHT KING?
    why didnt everyone getting on his back start screaming to danny to FUCKING TURN AND BREATH FIRE ON THEM they were honestly a Stones throw, away from them.
  • And once again, thank you guys for your time, insight, and most of all respectful comments and statements of opionions and facts.  You all make up this great community 5stars
  • Freddy said:

Svornair said:

"Bringing a wight down to King's Landing" is the GoT version of when Jim Inhofe brought a snowball onto the senate floor to disprove global warming. I mean that in the sense that it's about all that side has for evidence. Ha ha.
    High fives.
    Svornair
  • @Svornair-  two responses-

1. Obsidian is a volcanic mineral that has the appearance of black glass.  It exists, and I am assuming that in Westeros it is the same material  as what it is on Earth- both Earth and Westeros have gold, iron, steel, etc. so obsidian should have a similar commonality.  It could be made from dragon fire, though, in Westeros, I suppose.  Obsidian has the quality of being brittle and when struck with a hard object, bits can be shattered away in sharp flakes or shards.  That makes them easy to forge into simple weapons like we did in the stone age with flint.

2.  I'm softening my stand on the catch a wight idea as being a stupid plan.  Tyrion seemed to think Cersei would accept an animated wight as proof, and everyone's trusted Tyrion up to this point (Tyrion had a bad season.  Let's hope he bounces back next season.)

Svornair