Positivity! aka the good vibes thread

MichelleMichelle California
Hey all, with so many terrible and devastating things happening around the world lately and in our own backyards, it's super easy to be down about life.  I thought it might be nice to have a place where we can share some positive energy, and maybe it'll rub off on others.  So, the idea is just simple & sweet - every day, share one good thing that happened to you that day, something you observed, overheard, read, whatever.... something that made you happy.

I'll start:  we had a lot of rain today, and as I was driving through town on my way home after work I saw a group of three girls (late teens-ish?) dancing around in it and just embracing the rain, didn't care that they were getting drenched, just loving life.  I thought that was pretty awesome.  :)

Your turn!
Alkaid13Frakkin TTravisDanistampsdarwinfeeshyChinaskijazzminawaTaraC73DaveyMacmjmulladyand 3 others.

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Today I was out shopping and decided to treat myself to a nice sweater even though it was a little pricey. When I got to the till the woman scanned it and for some reason it came up as being £6 instead of £45. She took a look and knew it wasn't right but she said she couldn't be bothered to call the manager and so sold it to me for the discounted amount. Yay. :-)
    TravisMichelleDanistampsGredalBeeakritenbrinkDeedarwinfeeshyChinaskijazzminawaTaraC73and 3 others.
  • Wonderful thread idea! 

So, last week my parent's dog got super sick. She's a lovely, sweet as could possibly be little pup. So they found that her liver numbers were really in the tank and they took her to the pet hospital when she seemed to lose all energy. On Saturday they both started to make the real painful peace with the fact that she probably wasn't going to make it. The the vet tried one last thing to jumpstart her eating again, and it totally worked! Fast forward to yesterday and my dad was telling me that she's practically herself again. She'll be on multiple medicines for months, at least, but she pulled through and should be out of danger. It's pretty amazing how things can turn like that. 
    DanistampsMichelleakritenbrinkdarwinfeeshyChinaskijazzminawaTaraC73DaveyMacmjmulladyDani_Armindo
  • I took my 15 month old to the ocean for the first time the other day. Watching her stare at the water while lifting her little face and hands to feel the air, then look at me in amazement was so special. I'm still emotional thinking of it :)
    TravisMichelleMurderbearakritenbrinkDeedarwinfeeshyChinaskicdrivejazzminawaTaraC73and 3 others.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Aww @Danistamps, I wish we had a 'love' button.  That is so sweet!

@Travis, that's great news.  Our pets become our family, and it's always hard to see them like that.  I'm glad she's on the mend. :)

@amyja89 - score!!

So, today started out pretty stressful for various reasons in my office.  I took about an hour to go hang the photos for my exhibit and two people gave me great compliments while I was doing so.  That lifted me up a bit and took a little of the stress away.  Kindness is always a great cure for anything. :)
    akritenbrinkamyja89TravisDanistampsdarwinfeeshyChinaskiTaraC73
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Mine also involves a 15 month old. I got my son dressed this morning (which is a job by itself). He had his shoes and sock on all ready to go. When I put him in the car seat I realized one of his shoes had fallen off in the house on the way to the car. He giggled as I took him out and back in to find it. I find the shoe on the kitchen only to realize that his sock had fallen off (and I came to learn it was when I took him back out of the car seat). We laughed some more and got fixed up and went on with the day. I ended up being a bit late to school (I'm a teacher) but was proud to enjoy the silly moments with my son instead of getting frazzled about running late. It truly is the little things in life that brings us the most joy.
    MichelleakritenbrinkTravisDanistampsChinaskijazzminawaTaraC73DaveyMacmjmullady
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    edited September 8
    I took a week off and have just been chilling out at home. It's a really valuable treat to me to just be able to lose track of time. I've done a little yard work and started a crochet project that I promised to do for a yarn shop as a sample but otherwise done nothing responsible. I do this a couple times of year and it really helps me hit the reset button at work.
    MichelleTravisDanistampsChinaskijazzminawaTaraC73DaveyMacmjmullady

I took a week off and have just been chilling out at home. It's a really valuable treat to me to just be able to lose track of time. I've done a little yard work and started a crochet project that I promised to do for a yarn shop as a sample but otherwise done nothing responsible. I do this a couple times of year and it really helps me hit the reset button at work.

Glad you had a great week!  Staycations are always nice.  I love to travel though, so if I've got a vacay scheduled I'm heading somewhere, preferably far away from California - although my Monterey/Santa Cruz/SF vacay this summer was really great.

Enjoy your last 3 days of freedom!  :)

Travisakritenbrink
  • One day I didn't have to work because a hurricane was coming.  I drank a beer.  I drank several beers.  I drank to the point where I mowed the lawn so it would look nice in light of the impending disaster.  That day may or may not have been today.  Yard looks good.  Positivity.
    TravisDeeDanistampsdarwinfeeshyChinaskiMichellecdriveakritenbrinkjazzminawaTaraC73and 2 others.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 8
    @GredalBee are you in FL (or surrounding, not sure how wide of a berth it is)? If so, stay safe out there. 
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited September 9
    I impulse-ordered some perfume online a couple of weeks ago when I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep (not drunk shopping so much as sleep-deprived shopping, haha) and completely forgot about it, so when it came yesterday it was like a little surprise present to myself. :-)
    MichelleakritenbrinkdarwinfeeshyDaveyMac
    GredalBee said:

One day I didn't have to work because a hurricane was coming.  I drank a beer.  I drank several beers.  I drank to the point where I mowed the lawn so it would look nice in light of the impending disaster.  That day may or may not have been today.  Yard looks good.  Positivity.

You never know when CNN might show up... Get to safety!
    darwinfeeshyMichelleTaraC73
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    My wife and I expect to receive final approval for adopting a little boy any day. We will then go to the country where he lives and meet him for the first time. 
    TravisMichelleakritenbrinkDanistampsjazzminawaTaraC73darwinfeeshyDaveyMacmjmulladycdriveand 2 others.
    russkelly said:

My wife and I expect to receive final approval for adopting a little boy any day. We will then go to the country where he lives and meet him for the first time. 

Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you both! :)
    russkelly
  • Last night, me and my boyfriend went on a walk around the neighborhood. We do it sometimes just to chat and move around after being in the office all day. We ended up finding a hole in the wall Jamaican place that I must have passed tons of times but never noticed. Decided to grab dinner there and OMG everything was so good. It's going to be my new neighborhood spot! 

Good food and quality time with loved ones makes me happy, so that was my positive thing for the day :) 
    TaraC73DeeakritenbrinkMichelleDanistampsdarwinfeeshyTravisDaveyMacRenaisWomn
    I took an incredible road trip today, just me and the camera.  I went to an area called the Avenue of the Giants (some Cali people here may have heard of it).  It's a huge, miles-long stretch of old growth ancient redwoods and used to be the original stretch of highway 101.  It's absolutely beautiful, serene, and makes one feel so small (in the best way) when standing amongst these majestic trees.  It was truly a great day.  Home now, ready to make a big salad and enjoy some Netflix. :)
    jazzminawaDeeakritenbrinkDanistampsdarwinfeeshyTravismjmullady
    edited September 10
    I made some hats...they are easy and satisfying because you can start and finish them in a couple of hours.

This one is reflective:

No flash

With flash
    MichelleDanistampsDeeTravismjmulladyInvisiblemissileDani_Armindo
  • Still waiting on you to start selling them...
    mjmullady
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    Love this thread

We had a nearly 3 year old and for some reason she now has a thing for picnics, she gets a tea towel out and puts her play food out on the towel and asks us to have a picnic. 

Over the weekend we decided to have a full picnic and said mummy and daddy will have a picnic with you today. She looked really concerned instead of what we expected which was her to be really excited. My wife is also 36 weeks pregnant and my daughter looked up and said "we can't have a picnic without baby sister" she cares so much about someone who hasn't been born yet its just beautiful. 

DeejazzminawaMichelledarwinfeeshyTravisDaveyMacmjmulladyDanistamps
    @akritenbrink we need more shows to come out so you can get your crochet on! they look awesome and really warm
    akritenbrinkmjmullady
    davemcb said:

@akritenbrink we need more shows to come out so you can get your crochet on! they look awesome and really warm

Oh I'm always crocheting! I binge watch old stuff on streaming while I do it. I actually can't crochet during really exciting shows like Game of Thrones. I tried once and the scarf I was making came out all crazy hahaha
    davemcbmjmullady
    edited September 10

Still waiting on you to start selling them...

You're going to be waiting until you're an old lady haha

It takes the fun out of it for me to do hobbies on a deadline or think about the logistics of it. I made those two for gifts, which is about all I do on a deadline regularly. I did do a sample for my local yarn shop recently and I did get paid for it (store credit) and the pay is not huge, it's nice to have the store credit but I mainly did it because it's important to support your LYS. But even that project, having to keep track of everything, make sure to do everything to standard, etc added stress. Also, they pay by the yard of yarn used because it's more measurable, but they asked me to track the hours spent on it, just so they could tell customers how long it should take to make it, and just tracking the hours was kind of a bummer hahaha.
    mjmullady

davemcb said:

Oh I'm always crocheting! I binge watch old stuff on streaming while I do it. I actually can't crochet during really exciting shows like Game of Thrones. I tried once and the scarf I was making came out all crazy hahaha
    I can remember watching in awe as my mum and sisters would be chatting away needles, wool, and fingers going crazy. They could do the whole pattern without really looking down. Sure all of them could talk underwater but it was incredible to see them do it. 

The crazy GoT scarf could start a new fashion trend though
    akritenbrinkmjmullady
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited September 10
    Today, I am happy that it is Spring (here), because I have fresh blueberries for my porridge and proper, locally grown asparagus to have with dinner later. This is my favourite produce season. :-)
    jazzminawaakritenbrinkMichelledarwinfeeshyDaveyMacmjmulladyDanistamps
  • davemcb said:

Love this thread

We had a nearly 3 year old and for some reason she now has a thing for picnics, she gets a tea towel out and puts her play food out on the towel and asks us to have a picnic. 

Over the weekend we decided to have a full picnic and said mummy and daddy will have a picnic with you today. She looked really concerned instead of what we expected which was her to be really excited. My wife is also 36 weeks pregnant and my daughter looked up and said "we can't have a picnic without baby sister" she cares so much about someone who hasn't been born yet its just beautiful. 

This was too sweet. I let out an audible "awwww" reading it haha. 
    Michellemjmullady
    edited September 11
    We're all gathered at my sister's for my mom's birthday. The Luke Bryan is cranked (yes, I listen to country too!), I have a couple of drinks in me, the sun is out, and we're having a great day.  :)
    jazzminawaDeeTravisdarwinfeeshymjmulladyDanistamps
    Nothing super notable happened today, but it was just a good Monday in my office, the sun was shining, and 5:00 came very quickly.  Keeping it positive!
    darwinfeeshymjmulladyDanistampsTravis
  • edited September 12
    I went to a childhood friend's wedding Saturday night, had a great time, and was (surprisingly) not too hungover the next morning. 

So I got to hike a trail near the lodge we were all staying at. 

Mt. Charleston just outside of Las Vegas (I do not know those 2 people in the picture).

DeeDaveyMacMichellemjmulladyjazzminawaakritenbrinkDanistampsTaraC73TravisDani_Armindo
  • russkelly said:

That's great!!  Wonderful news!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Nothing much I can complain about. If everything goes well, my company will essentially have doubled in size in a month. Still a small company, but it's starting to feel like a real business, as opposed to a futile effort. My little port wine side project is also showing promise. Everybody who's tried it, loves it, and my current business partner already offered to invest in production if we decide to make a run at it.

MichellejazzminawaakritenbrinkDanistampsTaraC73Travisdarwinfeeshymjmullady
    Making arrangements for vacation plans over the next couple of years.  2018 - Niagara Falls and DC, 2019 - England and France, baby!  Bonjour.  :)
    DeeTravisDanistampsTaraC73