8.1 earthquake hits Mexico

emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
edited September 8 in General
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/08/americas/earthquake-hits-off-the-coast-of-southern-mexico/index.html

So far reports of three deaths and possible tsunamis. I'm hoping that number is the correct one, three seems awful low for an 8.1 although it occurred off of the coast. Portions of southern Mexico and in to Guatemala are affected

At the time of posting aftershocks are still occurring and tsunamis may be hours out

Comments

• Damn, this is not a good couple of weeks for the American continent as far as natural disasters go.
    ElisaTravis
  • Seriously Planet Earth, get your shit together and space these out bit at least, at this rate we're going to have massive blizzards or something in Canada next week.
    Travis
  • Alkaid13 said:

Seriously Planet Earth, get your shit together and space these out bit at least, at this rate we're going to have massive blizzards or something in Canada next week.

Hear, hear! This shit is insane.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    It's kind of crazy when the entire West coast is on fire and barely making the news because there are 3-4 hurricanes and massive earthquakes at the same time.
  • Meanwhile Hurricane Katia is about to hit the east coast of Mexico w/ 100+ MPH winds.
    akritenbrink
  • And Jose is following Irma as a Cat 3....
    akritenbrink
    Kind of weird, I've been watching CNN and they barely mention the impacts on Mexico. It's like 35 minutes of Irma, 5 minutes of Trump, 20 minutes of commercials per hour.
    Elisa
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA

It's kind of crazy when the entire West coast is on fire and barely making the news because there are 3-4 hurricanes and massive earthquakes at the same time.

Yeah but the fires are not bad compared to hurricanes. Actually the fires aren't that bad overall. Yesterday marked the 115th anniversary of the Yacolt Burn here in Washington, the Yacolt Burn was 12 very close and major fires from the Columbia river up to the southern end of Olympia. Three towns were completely engulfed, 60 people died at least, winds blew ash into Portland that according to contemporary accounts fell like snow and heavy smoke choke Seattle and was seen as far north as Vancouver, and it shut down all ship traffic on the Columbia river. The fire burned from September 8 to September 12 and ended because it ran out of fuel

THAT sounds like a fire. I don't think anything since in this region at least has been near that bad

• emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    As an update, earthquake death toll is up to 61
    Elisa
  • Mother nature is pissed.
    I know, that's what I mean. They are fairly serious fires but pale in comparison to the other stuff that's going on.
  • Thankfully no tsunamis materialized after this or else the damage and death toll would be way worse than it is now.
  • LA Times reporter Katie Linthicum just tweeted that "After a devastating earthquake and hurricane (and after Trump failed to send condolences), Mexico today rescinded its offer of aid to the US." 

There's no link to a story yet, but her bio says she's based in Mexico City...