IT spoilers

So, why was It able to kill Georgie when he wasn't that afraid of him, but It couldn't kill any of the other kids in the Loser Club when it got them alone?

Loved the movie, just looking for clarification.

Comments

• he was certainly afraid after having his arm taken off

Otherwise, just a plot hole :D Like, why didn't he mutilate Bev instead of just dead-light-floating her? plot hole
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited September 11
    So did they have to kiss all the floating people? Lost me at the end, it was 1:30 when that ended. My friend kept on harping that it took a lot from Nightmare On Elm Street. I thought naw, that book was written in the seventies or early eighties, no it was 86. NOES was 84, but whatever.
    bizmarkiefader
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Liked the nod to Tim Curry's Pennywise in the 'clown room' scene.

Yeah, the intricacies of the final third sprouted more than a few potholes, I haven't read the book so I don't know if they are further explained in the text, but I was having a good enough time to overlook a lot.

Which jump scares and scary bits got you the most? I was pretty taken aback by the first site of Pennywise's teeth when he bit Georgie's arm off, but the only time I really properly jumped was when he grabbed Beverly in her bathroom after she smashed up her father.
    Doctor_Nick
  • Here's how IT functions in the book (book spoilers for those who didn't read it):
    http://collider.com/it-pennywise-explained/

That link explains the book powers, and how the Bev stuff is actually different in the books.
  • I had never watched or read It before seeing this. Just wanna say even in this truncated version (I assume King tells us what the town's original sin is in the book and also why the clown and Georgie are in pictures from the 17th century) King owes a lot to H.P Lovecraft with this one, just with a Hollywood ending attached.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

I had never watched or read It before seeing this. Just wanna say even in this truncated version (I assume King tells us what the town's original sin is in the book and also why the clown and Georgie are in pictures from the 17th century) King owes a lot to H.P Lovecraft with this one, just with a Hollywood ending attached.

There is no original sin in the book if memory serves. Everything revolving It is kept pretty nebulous. You know It is an otherworldly entity that sort of crashes on earth years upon years upon years ago. It stays around Derry and manages to influence adults into not raising an eyebrow regarding all the missing children. 

I've heard King describe it as instead of making a haunted hotel or a possessed person, he liked the idea of a whole town being haunted and possessed.  I haven't seen the movie yet, so I am assuming most of this isn't touched upon.
  • Yeah, no origin story, just some hint of something's always been wrong with the Well.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I just saw It as someone who plays with their food. So, I was never thinking about why some people died and others didn't. The movie had a ton of excellent characterization and themes that tracked logically; it didn't hinge on It being logical, in my mind

Most unnerving part: the old woman smiling at Ben in the library for several shots. Very understated. Good horror makes you think, "Am I actually seeing this?", makes you question reality. There wasn't a lot of that in this movie, but I'm not disappointed or anything.

Most shocking part: When It appeared as a giant in the garage. Jesus. I actually lucked out with that one... I had breathed a sigh of relief that the projector was empty, and briefly closed my eyes (like one does after a sigh), and that sliiiiightly longer blink made me hear the jump scare before I saw it. Heart attack avoided.

Most horrific part: the floating children. I loved "we all float down here"... brilliant and eery. But, you know, it's a sewage system. Yeah, everything floats down there. NOPE. Different floating. Again, made me question my perception of reality. How my brain fills in the gaps, but where is reality much more horrific than I can imagine? @Doctor_Nick, that definitely reminds me of Lovecraft.

I really enjoyed this movie. It wasn't perfect, but it did a fine job. I especially liked how physical the special effects seemed, for the most part. I'm guessing a lot of it was just actual props, not CG. So much better.

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited September 17
    Yes, and the seemingly idyllic New England town with the sordid past that no one respectable quite seems to recognize, full of oddly off characters who are strangely menacing... The setting is very Lovecraft country. The heroes and ending aren't.
    JaimieT said:

I just saw It as someone who plays with their food. So, I was never thinking about why some people died and others didn't. The movie had a ton of excellent characterization and themes that tracked logically; it didn't hinge on It being logical, in my mind

Most unnerving part: the old woman smiling at Ben in the library for several shots. Very understated. Good horror makes you think, "Am I actually seeing this?", makes you question reality. There wasn't a lot of that in this movie, but I'm not disappointed or anything.

Most shocking part: When It appeared as a giant in the garage. Jesus. I actually lucked out with that one... I had breathed a sigh of relief that the projector was empty, and briefly closed my eyes (like one does after a sigh), and that sliiiiightly longer blink made me hear the jump scare before I saw it. Heart attack avoided.

Most horrific part: the floating children. I loved "we all float down here"... brilliant and eery. But, you know, it's a sewage system. Yeah, everything floats down there. NOPE. Different floating. Again, made me question my perception of reality. How my brain fills in the gaps, but where is reality much more horrific than I can imagine? @Doctor_Nick, that definitely reminds me of Lovecraft.

I really enjoyed this movie. It wasn't perfect, but it did a fine job. I especially liked how physical the special effects seemed, for the most part. I'm guessing a lot of it was just actual props, not CG. So much better.