Big gripe about the Walking Dead. Setting.

broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
I'm going to preface this with the facts that I have lived in both North Georgia and the Alexandria/Washington DC areas in my lifetime.

This has been a huge gripe for me since season 3. THE SETTING. Ever since they got off the farm the group has been navigating throughout the same goddamn boring backroads of Georgia. Same tree lined roads for SEASONS. Only ONCE stumbling across that Walmart. These guys at the Walking Dead have so much money and they can't afford to shutdown an area of bigger road? I don't even think you can get to Alexandria (which is literally 5 minutes from DC) on those dumbass backroads theyre taking. There has been absolutely no variation in sets. Just woods/woods/woods. Thats it. And Georgia isnt like that! There's more than just downtown ATL and backroads. They did the highway scene in Season 2, but since then its been one bland woods scene after another. It really makes it hard to believe that all these groups of characters have never stumbled across one another, because in reality all this stuff is happening in the same area. Its just a really bad and lazy job of setting the actual sets.

Also the fact that they had to travel all the way to Richmond Virginia to find a gated community was dumb. If there is one thing there is no shortage of in North Georgia it's planned communities like that. But no, they film in this tiny area that has the same forest and road no matter where the actual in show location is supposed to be. And that view of DC they got when they were in the RV doesnt exist. Not even close. 

Now for Alexandria....... First of all there arent woods surrounding the area like that. It's brutally obvious that it's Georgia. Alexandria is right on the Potomac River. They would have seen the Potomac, and they would have hit the GW Parkway and Mt. Vernon etc.......CAN YOU IMAGINE how cool it would be if they actually filmed this in Virgina?? On location? And they could DO IT. Because theyre the biggest show on TV. But no. And Alexandria is an extremely expensive, high end area. The entire downtown area is brick for Christsake. And the neighborhoods are as expensive as they get. 

This just tells me that the people making this show don't give a shit. Actually filming this in Virginia or AT LEAST making an effort to make it look like Alexandria would make the show so much cooler and more enjoyable. 
steph_bArctorTaraC73

Comments

• Seriously, this is what told you the creators don't give a shit? Haha wow. They've done far more stupid lazy things than this, which is why I fully expected as much and was not really bothered by it. My expectations have long been set low enough to be mostly disaffected by this.

I did chuckle when they showed the view of DC and how that would have to be from Arlington, meaning they already drove through Alexandria, but this show far from stands alone in this sort of silliness. I still remember seeing a scene from some random show a while back that showed a plane landing with the Capitol in the background and the text on the screen says "Dulles International Airport" hahaha. I certainly nitpick about things in shows but I find this type of thing to be more amusing than annoying.

It would have been really cool if they shot a scene at the GW Masonic Memorial building, it's the single most obvious landmark in Alexandria, but the idea of them shutting down traffic to shoot scenes on 3/495, the GW Parkway, Rt. 50, etc.? Fuck no, can not imagine that happening. 
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    I'm not expecting them to shut down the GW parkway, I was hoping they would actually try to make the scenery of the areas that the cast is supposed to be look like the actual places. I know this is a huge nit pick and it's because of my familiarity both areas but my issue with the back roads and the dull woodsy scenery the past 3 seasons has been a big issue for me for a while.
  • Well you did say film on location in Virginia... which is basically what that'd have to mean. But I agree they should have had suburban/highway scenery since leaving Richmond. Once you hit Quantico everything is surburban sprawl up to DC, and it sort of is everywhere near I-95. 
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    A brick downtown is considered expensive?

Feeling better about my choice of contractor now.

FlashGordonFrakkin TTravisTaraC73steph_b
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    @broomperson I feel you man. Even though I've never even set foot in the US what you are describing has been a thorn in my eye since season 2. Venturing back into the city for slabtown was a nice break of those monotone woods but it just felt a little too much like a movie-set to me. That shot of DC was actually really important to my enjoyment because at least it gave the illusion the show was set in the real world.

It would definitely help the show if AMC increased the budget for outdoors scenes. Maybe hire some third party contractors to do some cool landscape and environment shots. They should take a hint from Breaking Bad or last season of House of Cards.

A big thing that makes the Zombie genre cool IMO is the feeling that the actual world is a desolate wasteland and playing around with that concept. Dawn of the Dead had its helicopter shots and an entire mall to set its story, DayZ has the 20x20 km2 Chernarus terrain to explore.

TWD seems a little like an attempt to shoot a roadmovie without leaving the neighborhood. We need a bit more 'Easy Rider' vibes ;)
    brewseveltghm3broomperson
  • Yeah... I am so sick of the dumb woods. All the time since the beginning running around the woods. This is part of my excitement for the spin-off, hopefully a change of setting.
    ksa1001broompersonTravis
  • I would put the blame on AMC not the creators. I think they'd spend more money on the settings if AMC would give them a bigger budget. They have to pay that huge-ass cast and try to make everything look as realistic as possible with so much money. Shooting in the same part of Georgia, could be strictly an economic decision, based on how much AMC loosens the purse strings.

Then again, there is the "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" phenomenon that has existed in this show since the beginning. Hence the ridiculous drought and Abraham not turning after the walker blood knife scratch
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • I would put the blame on AMC not the creators. I think they'd spend more money on the settings if AMC would give them a bigger budget. They have to pay that huge-ass cast and try to make everything look as realistic as possible with so much money. Shooting in the same part of Georgia, could be strictly an economic decision, based on how much AMC loosens the purse strings.

Then again, there is the "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" phenomenon that has existed in this show since the beginning. Hence the ridiculous drought and Abraham not turning after the walker blood knife scratch
    I couldn't disagree more. Breaking Bad had a shoestring budget for a while and its quality did not suffer one iota. Doing something as stupid as having wall re-reinforcements on the exterior and magical flipping vans and invisible-completely-exposed snipers and continuity-breaking elevator shafts (Christ I could go on) are all purely on the lazy creators. Fixing these issues wouldn't require a budget increase, it would just require giving a shit and putting a little more time into the creative process. It's a classic old-school 'who gives a shit' attitude that is only just recently gone away in the current 'golden era' of television, because thankfully many creators finally are.

Chuck Lorre perfectly explained this in his post-show notes of last week's episode of The Big Bang Theory:

CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #492

I recently found myself reminiscing about an incident that occurred almost thirty years ago. I had just landed my first job as a prime-time sitcom writer and was sitting in a room 'punching up' a script with a few other young writers and a couple of old pros, when one of the gray-haired, comedy mavens grumbled that the mediocre joke we were trying to improve was "good enough" and that we should "move on." He rationalized this by saying, "No one will know the difference" and, "It's just a sitcom." I remember being offended. I quietly promised myself that if I ever got a chance to write and produce my own series I would never think that way. I would never become so jaded and cynical that I squandered the opportunity to entertain people by assuming they "won't know the difference," and by sneeringly regarding what I do for a living as being "just a sitcom." And I never have. But I have wondered what exactly is this thing I do. And I think I've finally figured it out. A sitcom is an extended conversation between writers, actors, directors and the audience. In success, the conversation goes on for years. Pre-internet, the viewers responded simply by watching or not watching. Now their opinions are loud, immediate and fully articulated. And it's great. And it's scary. But it's a real conversation between real people with real feelings. So we all need to choose our words carefully.

FlashGordonA_Ron_HubbardTaraC73hypergenesbTravissteph_blesleyj42
  • ErikSTLErikSTL St. Louis
    Last time they were on a major highway, wasn't it completely congested with broken-down vehicles? Seems that might slow them down more than keeping to the less-congested back roads.
    It's kind of hard to take Lorre seriously though after the stunt he pulled with the TAAHM finale. He's pretty much nonredeemable in my book since that. He completely screwed his fans and his show just to get one over on Sheen.

Not that I care that much about any of Lorre's shows but that was just such a contemptuous and selfish thing to do.
  • Yeah... I am so sick of the dumb woods. All the time since the beginning running around the woods. This is part of my excitement for the spin-off, hopefully a change of setting.

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't in constant summer mode. I'd love to see TWD in a winter setting.
    TaraC73Cory
  • MichaelMichael Virginia
    Arctor said:

It's kind of hard to take Lorre seriously though after the stunt he pulled with the TAAHM finale. He's pretty much nonredeemable in my book since that. He completely screwed his fans and his show just to get one over on Sheen.

Not that I care that much about any of Lorre's shows but that was just such a contemptuous and selfish thing to do.

I don't think it was to JUST get one over on Sheen. Sheen's actions cost him and the company MILLIONS!! Millions of people (me included) only watched a couple shows when Kutcher took over. It SUCKED!! It jumped the shark and Lorre knew it. So, he basically said FU to Sheen for ruining a good thing. 
    edited March 2015
    Michael said:

I don't think it was to JUST get one over on Sheen. Sheen's actions cost him and the company MILLIONS!! Millions of people (me included) only watched a couple shows when Kutcher took over. It SUCKED!! It jumped the shark and Lorre knew it. So, he basically said FU to Sheen for ruining a good thing. 

Sheen was a full-on drug addict at that time to the point of psychosis. His performances in the last season were shit (sweaty, mumbling and red-faced) and he failed to show up on time and do his work properly.

You can only blame Sheen in as far as you think drug addiction is a conscious choice instead of a disease that ruins lives. Lorre chose the former and opted to hold a grudge against the guy for four friggin' years. Whatever your opinion of modern psychology; this was definitely the low road. I've not seen a lot of fans who appreciated the finale and most of em felt betrayed.

It's also quite telling there were a bunch of "we don't need Sheen" jokes in the Kutcher episodes, yet he just can't resist throwing his show and his fans under the bus to make the finale all about Sheen. Childish behavior unbecoming of a professional tv-producer.
  • MichaelMichael Virginia
    Arctor said:

Michael said:

Sheen was a full-on drug addict at that time to the point of psychosis. His performances in the last season were shit (sweaty, mumbling and red-faced) and he failed to show up on time and do his work properly.

You can only blame Sheen in as far as you think drug addiction is a conscious choice instead of a disease that ruins lives. Lorre chose the former and opted to hold a grudge against the guy for four friggin' years. Whatever your opinion of modern psychology; this was definitely the low road. I've not seen a lot of fans who appreciated the finale and most of em felt betrayed.

It's also quite telling there were a bunch of "we don't need Sheen" jokes in the Kutcher episodes, yet he just can't resist throwing his show and his fans under the bus to make the finale all about Sheen. Childish behavior unbecoming of a professional tv-producer.
    I totally agree he took the low road after Sheen left. And I guess it was a bit why I stopped watching after a few episodes when he left.