Star Wars Episode IX has a director/writer

edited September 12 in Movies
JJ Abrams has been announced as the writer/director:
http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-ix?

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Short notice safe hands I guess.
    KingKobraJovial_Falcon
  • amyja89 said:

Short notice safe hands I guess.

It's one person that probably won't be fired.
  • Interesting that Chris Terrio is co-writing with JJ. He won an Oscar for writing Argo ... And then wrote Batman v Supermen. Hm.
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I am more than happy with this. JJ had to of had tons of pressure with the Force Awakens and thought he delivered nicely on that one.  I am pretty confident he will deliver again and wrap up this trilogy nicely.
    Jovial_Falcon
  • Sounds good!
  • So we're gonna get Return of the Jedi 2
  • I know there's possible scheduling conflicts but it's not a real good sign that they didn't have rian Johnson do 9.
  • Hatorian said:

So we're gonna get Return of the Jedi 2

And if TLJ is TESB2? Will the "jokes" still work?
    Hatorian said:

I know there's possible scheduling conflicts but it's not a real good sign that they didn't have rian Johnson do 9.

He would also have to want to direct 9,

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/rian-johnson-pretty-much-said-he-won’t-be-directing-star-wars-episode-ix-without-actually
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm pleased with this too. TFA is just solid fun... I nearly watched it again yesterday.
    KingKobra
  • KingKobra said:

Hatorian said:

Hatorian said:

I know there's possible scheduling conflicts but it's not a real good sign that they didn't have rian Johnson do 9.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/rian-johnson-pretty-much-said-he-won’t-be-directing-star-wars-episode-ix-without-actually
    Everything I've read has said episode 8 is not a Rehash and take the story in an unexpected direction.
  • Hatorian said:

KingKobra said:

Hatorian said:

Hatorian said:

Everything I've read has said episode 8 is not a Rehash and take the story in an unexpected direction.
    And you expect instead of continuing that story, we'll get a rehash of ROTJ? What if TFA was the slow entry that allowed them to move the story forward? Of course they'll pay homage, but I've seen that (ROTJ2) comment a lot. Give JJ some credit he makes an entertaining movie and while 8 may be a "new direction", if the studio wasn't OK with it, then it would have been flushed ;) so I think they have an idea of where they want to take it.
    Jovial_Falcon
  • edited September 12
    What a frustratingly uninspired choice. I enjoyed JJ's remake of A New Hope and accepted it for the ship-righting that it was meant to be. I was elated at the choice of him being one-and-done and moving on to much more talented filmmakers whose careers aren't fueled by member berry juice.

Between this and Kathleen Kennedy playing musical director chairs with a bunch of prequel movies that nobody is asking for, this franchise is really starting to use up its good will with me.

Am I glad it's not Trevorrow? Sure. Am I the least bit surprised that they brought back the guy who has basically been begging to come back to Star Wars? Not at all. Can't wait to see what cuddly creature he creates that helps overthrow the First Order during a decisive battle on a forest planet.

• Where was JJ begging to come back?
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    My mom dropped off some old stuff not too long ago and in it was the family's 1988 Star Wars Trilogy VHS set.  I wore those things tha fuhgk out growing up!  Now I might get a VCR to watch them again.  The unsullied, pure versions!

Jovial_Falcon
  • cdrive said:

My mom dropped off some old stuff not too long ago and in it was the family's 1988 Star Wars Trilogy VHS set.  I wore those things tha fuhgk out growing up!  Now I might get a VCR to watch them again.  The unsullied, pure versions!

Someone went through the painstaking process to create HD versions of the original trilogy (pre-1990's Lucas editions). They are called, fittingly, the "Despecialized" versions, and are fantastic. Can be found with a bit of searching around.
    cdrive
  • Honestly no issues here...It won't be ROJ2, at least unless TLJ ends with Luke in Carbonite....he knows how to frame the story and he has an eye for the action sequences.  

I also saw they pushed the release to December 2019 so we'll have to wait a bit longer
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited September 13
    I gotta admit that was a bit disappointed when I opened this thread and saw that JJ is back doing IX. But I also understand why Disney would go to him. He's capable, he'll turn in the movie on time, it won't be bad and it'll make a ton of money. It's a smart business move.

Plus, there's no sense in getting all worked up when VIII isn't even out yet. We have no idea what foundations Rian Johnson has laid for IX.
    Jovial_FalconKingKobra