702 - Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

Director: Liza Johnson
Writer: Tim Minear
KingKobra

Comments

• Well, that was certainly interesting. Was the clown that Ozy saw real, or just part of his imagination? As soon as we saw the Latino chef I knew he wasn't long for this world. The set up to it IMO was a tad predictable. Ally's phychosis is stepping up a notch as well. Ivy no matter what she does is stuck between the crazies.

Now for Winter being the daughter of Carrie Fisher seems to be coming out. Enjoying her role of semi torturer/influencer. Is she fully on for the role, or is she just doing this because of a pinky promise. Kai, the psycho that he is, has stepped up his role of a campaign based on fear.

So far enjoying this season, it's a little slow in some parts and Ally does grate on me at time, but overall I thinks it's good. The music this episode was also quite good IMO as far as ambiance setting goes.

PS seeing Billy on the Streets was a surprisingly well done neighbor. I'm pretty sure they are a little tapped in the head, but the departure from what I know him from puts him in a new light for me.

Elisaalina_mac
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 13
    (never mind) (wish we could delete our own posts!)
    GredalBee
  • Michelle said:

(never mind) (wish we could delete our own posts!)

If this is implying that you did a 180 from liking last episode to this episode, I'm on the same page. Literally every character bugs the shit out of me-- which isn't a good thing when watching a show. Hopefully it changes
    edited September 13
    @gguenotHuh?  I chose to remove what I wrote, which actually had nothing to do with the episode and I ended up just wanting to delete it.

Thoughts on this episode:
    • Why the fuck haven't they fired Winter yet?  It's not exactly like she's nanny of the year.  Also, does anyone else get a Chloe Sevigny v2.0 vibe from her?
    • Ally needs to be locked up for her own protection and that of others.
    • Billy on the Street has something to do with this fuckery.  There is such a huge deal made about hives in the opening credits and in the promos that came out prior to the premiere.  Plus, his whole demeanor is just bizarre.
    • I still think Ivy isn't exactly an innocent bystander in all of this.

Elisa
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited September 13
    It's really saying something when you find Evan Peters the best part of any AHS episode.

I'm obviously going to keep watching because you never know with Murphy but I can't see myself enjoying another ten or so episodes of this stuff. The new neighbours added in a touch of recognisable AHS quirk, but this whole thing is so damn repetitive at the moment and nobody's actions feel particularly authentic or believable.

I can see a future where Sarah Paulson fully succumbs to her fears and becomes a Kai disciple, and that could be cool, but I'm 100% done with her character in its current state.

EDIT: Also, I know that we were working with ghosts back then rather than whatever this is, but I feel like Murder House did a much better job with the theme of paranoia in a household and 'what is real and what isn't real' etc. But that's just my opinion I guess.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I agree part of me enjoyed the episode ( the neighbors and Evan Peters) while a part of me found it repetitive and predictable. (Sarah Paulson and Winter) That said it's still creepy and disturbing enough I am continuing to watch hoping it will improve.

The voice of the clown that approached Oz in the house sounded like a cross between Evan Peters and the psychiatrist Cheyenne Jackson. Is the shrink involved too?

• Michelle said:

@gguenotHuh?  I chose to remove what I wrote, which actually had nothing to do with the episode and I ended up just wanting to delete it.

Thoughts on this episode:
    • Why the fuck haven't they fired Winter yet?  It's not exactly like she's nanny of the year.  Also, does anyone else get a Chloe Sevigny v2.0 vibe from her?
    • Ally needs to be locked up for her own protection and that of others.
    • Billy on the Street has something to do with this fuckery.  There is such a huge deal made about hives in the opening credits and in the promos that came out prior to the premiere.  Plus, his whole demeanor is just bizarre.
    • I still think Ivy isn't exactly an innocent bystander in all of this.

Ohh gotcha. I thought you were wanting to backtrack what you were saying on the previous weeks episode.

• Elisa said:

I agree part of me enjoyed the episode ( the neighbors and Evan Peters) while a part of me found it repetitive and predictable. (Sarah Paulson and Winter) That said it's still creepy and disturbing enough I am continuing to watch hoping it will improve.

The voice of the clown that approached Oz in the house sounded like a cross between Evan Peters and the psychiatrist Cheyenne Jackson. Is the shrink involved too?

I'm starting to think the shrink is involved somehow. I'm not sure exactly how yet, but he wanted to add something at the end of his conversation with Ivy but held off.

I second everyone (or maybe 10x) that every damn character is annoying so far. Winter is a terrible nanny and would be fired in any real life scenario, although obviously this show doesn't scream 'reality' half the time, so I am willing to look past that. Ally is just absolutely grating. The new neighbors are psychotic. She went from an instant distrust to taking a gun from the guy?! That was a big "what the hell" moment from me. I'm not sure I have instantly hated a Sarah Paulson character before in AHS, but this year I'm praying she gets off'd really soon. (which seems doubtful so far).
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    @mrskait13 I read the end of the therapist's scene with Ivy as him wanting to tell her that Ally had a gun, but then eventually deciding to stay quiet which in turn later leads to Pedro getting shot.
    ElisaMichellealina_mac
    The credit sequence is creepy enough that it gives me hope that the rest of the season will ramp up in horror and creepy stuff.  2 episodes in, there is still a lot of story to cover.  But that said, they better ramp it the hell up 'cause this could get stale quickly.  I don't see that happening though - I think starting with the next episode shit will really start to go down.
    Elisa
  • That knowledge drop about the cook blew my mind *poof*
    Michelle
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    KingKobra said:

That knowledge drop about the cook blew my mind *poof*

What did I miss??
    TaraC73 said:

KingKobra said:

That knowledge drop about the cook blew my mind *poof*

What did I miss??
    The sous chef (the asshole) is the bully kid from A Christmas Story. :)
    KingKobraTaraC73
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Run to yr son Run to yr son Run to yr son Run to yr son 5 minutes passed Run to yr son Run to yr son.

Strong episode. Way scarier I feel than It or 'It rinse and repeat' would ever be. A great psychological suspense.

I called the shooting of Holmes right when he was tasked with couriering over the charger.

Fun ass shit. Gets me excited for Halloween.
    Elisa