›

Destiny Question

CoryCory New Scotland
I never played the original, would it be a bad idea for me to start with Destiny 2?

Also, is it suitable for a 7 year old?

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    It would not be a bad idea to start with Destiny 2. So far it seems to take what they learned in D1 and just refined things. The only things you'd be missing are some pretty fun missions. But as far as mechanics and layout they have mostly just improved. I'd also imagine there may be less people playing D1 these days. Probably not enough to make it unplayable, but since the emphasis is so much on multiplayer, it could be more difficult.

I am not sure of your parenting style. It is a shoot-em-up, but it is all against robots and aliens. There is no blood (even alien blood) to be found. But you are mowing through waves of bad guys. If I had a kiddo, I don't think I'd have a problem with it, unless I saw some change in their behavior. But you know your kid better than I do. 
  • I think Destiny 2 is a pretty good jumping on point. It does a good job setting up the story in a way new players can pretty easily understand. I would even argue you will know more about Guardians and The Traveler from the Destiny 2 intro, than from playing through Destiny 1.

Leveling up is pretty quick compared to Destiny 1, so it won't take long to catch up to everyone else.

Would you let your 7 year old play Halo? If so, this game is even more age appropriate than that.
    darwinfeeshy
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thanks guys.

I've never been that big into multiplayer, so not sure if it's for me, but I did hear A.Ron say recently 90% of the time he likes playing solo.
    Then again I moved a few months back and have a much faster internet connection now.

@Garthgou81 - It's not my kid, but he likes video games and might be something fun for us to do together (there's only so much running around with plastic guns shooting fake zombies or building random legos I can do lol)

@Shum I've never played Halo, or Call of Duty, or Star Wars Battlefront, etc.  
    @Cory Oops, sorry for assuming. I've been mostly playing solo as well. I love just putting on a podcast and mindlessly playing solo. When I am playing with others it raises the stress level for me because I am part of a team and expected to do my part. With that said, I would like to get together with Bald Move folks and do more missions as a clan and such. 
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Is the Expansion worth it?  If I got that, I think I would go for the Deluxe Edition.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Cory, my son and I were nearly day one guardians.  It's been incredibly rewarding to watch his advancement as a player and a person when viewed through the lens of playing this game together.  We'd set weird challenges for ourselves like trying to duo the nightfall together, or trying to duo Crota in year 3 when he was a big pussy.  We did a few "squeeker raids" together with a few of my friends kids, it's a blast.  

You guys will really dig D2.  It's a great looking game, with cool ideas and the gun play is T I G H T.  My son has dressed up as a guardian the past 3 years running and wanted to this year!
    darwinfeeshy
    Can we add the time Aron called his son a pussy to the best moments of BaldMove thread?
    gguenotdarwinfeeshy
  • Can we add the time Aron called his son a pussy to the best moments of BaldMove thread?

I think he meant whatever a Crota is
  • z74alz74al KS
    edited October 5
    I've wanted to get into Destiny for a while. Is it worth the time and monetary commitment?
  • gguenot said:

Can we add the time Aron called his son a pussy to the best moments of BaldMove thread?

PHRASING!!!
    gguenot
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    z74al said:

I've wanted to get into Destiny for a while. Is it worth the time and monetary commitment?

Me too.  Hoping to find out some information about the Expansion pack today.  I'm about 35 cents short in my wallet to get the game now, so I'd like to hear some opinions before I purchase another PSN card.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    gguenot said:

Haha, yes.  In year three, what was originally a tough raid for six became possible to duo or solo in about 30 minutes if you practiced enough.  It was a lot of fun, we got the flawless raider achievement off of that.