"Remember" - Seriously. What is the deal with those wall supports being on the wrong side?

This one is really bothering me. Like, at this point even the build team should have been able to call the obvious inanity of bracing the wall against the interior of the complex. You've been working on building sets for the The Walking Dead for 5 years, you know something about protecting against zombies. They had it right in The Prison, and there they had a chainlink fence and sticks to prop said fence up.

I have been trying to imagine any possible rational for the genius "architecture" at work, and have come up short. Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Have we confirmed that there isn't identical bracing on the inside?

I think we have but...just asking.
  • nope, the inside has no supports.
  • I could have sworn Aaron said the walls were 12 feet thick back when we first heard about them - I was prepared to be impressed.

As it is, you would think they would start backing them up with concrete or something. 
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I thought that at first also O Joe. But I think he said 12 feet wide.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, he said they were 12 feet wide, but he referred to them as slabs.  Also, I got an email from an architect that said steel's compression / tension resistance is identical, and with proper footings installed, the walls would actually resist pushing down BETTER with the bracing on the outside.  Hard to believe!  

On the other hand, I still think it's stupid idea from the standpoint that the bracing is exposed to external attackers.  Now, maybe Deanna's husband didn't think of human attackers and was designing it only to stand up to zombies, which if the architect above is correct, then this configuration would be very good at. He apparently built this early on, so that might not have been a crazy idea.
    hitmy
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    edited March 2015
    I've sent this into the feedback mail in different phrasing as well: I'm on team outside support to stop walker herds. Because of tensile strength in metal and the fact that metal bends. Picture in your mind's eye a bent spoon next to the Golden Gate Bridge and you'll know it makes sense. Cased in concrete with large bolts this would withstand way larger forces IMO. Combined with snipers on guard duty to ward off living attackers this is the way to go.

That being said, I'd just have had some logistics guys haul over some cargo containers and stacked them 2 high. Then raided the local military base for landmines and razor-wire and mined the outside perimeter. My zombie base would be insane.

EDIT: OK maybe a better example: Take a spoon, prop it up vertically and stand on it. It will bend under your weight and maybe break. Now weld the same spoon to the ceiling and hang from it. It will support your entire weight without stretching or breaking. Metal supports in a 45 degree angle will be easier to bend pushing on the outside of the wall if they were on the inside. Force on the bolts would be the same for in- and outside construction.
    Original_JosephA_Ron_Hubbard
  • edited March 2015
    Only one wall will really do, no cold rolling required:

ArctorTaraC73hitmyFlashGordonksa1001
  • John_NadaJohn_Nada California
    @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Arctor I stand corrected about the fence. It makes sense and frankly I am done focusing out on it.
    TaraC73