Golden Company (potential book spoilers)

edited September 2017 in Game of Thrones
Could someone please refresh my memory... Weren't the founders of the Golden Company faithful to Rhaegar Targarian?  And if that's the case, wouldn't they be more inclined to transfer that loyalty to Daenerys?  Or would it rather be that they are more true to their reputation of "never breaking a contract"?

Comments

• Thy are sellswords, so they are loyal to whomever pays them (at least that's the way it's supposed to be).
  • In the show, the Golden Company has never broken a contract, and Jorah had worked for them prior to meeting Daenerys. If you want speculation based on the books, you should probably edit the thread title to indicate book spoilers. :)
    KingKobra
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky

In the show, the Golden Company has never broken a contract, and Jorah had worked for them prior to meeting Daenerys. If you want speculation based on the books, you should probably edit the thread title to indicate book spoilers. :)

I edited the thread title. Feel free to let loose!
    KingKobrapavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited September 2017
    Thanks, @Murderbear

Could someone please refresh my memory... Weren't the founders of the Golden Company faithful to Rhaegar Targarian?  And if that's the case, wouldn't they be more inclined to transfer that loyalty to Daenerys?  Or would it rather be that they are more true to their reputation of "never breaking a contract"?

@m_boogie66  The history and politics of the Golden Company are bit complicated, and some of the plotting has been passed to Cersei, Jorah, and possibly Jon, now. So I don't know how the show will use the Golden Company in S8, but I expect that they will switch sides. The show has nerfed Daenerys and built up Cersei, but Cersei has to start failing in S8. The GC has broken a contract in the books, presumably to meet up with Daenerys, which didn't work out, and now they are with someone who may or may not be Aegon Targaryen, setting up a second Dance of Dragons (Targaryen civil war) once Daenerys arrives in Westeros. This will likely be Daenerys vs. Cersei in the show because it's highly unlikely that Jon Snow/Aegon will contest Daenerys for the Iron Throne.

The Golden Company want to return home to Westeros and have their lands and titles restored. I don't see Cersei offering that, but Daenerys probably would. Then again, the show might just make them nothing more than an elite sellsword company. With elephants.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Some background:
    The Golden Company was founded by Aegor Rivers, a Targaryen bastard, who fled Westeros with the sons of Daemon Blackfyre after the first Blackfyre Rebellion. The Blackfyre Rebellions were basically Targaryen civil wars, with the Blackfyres (a cadet Targaryen House founded by a legitimized Targ bastard) asserting their claim over the Targaryen lineage. The rebellions have failed each time, but the GC is an elite brotherhood comprising Westerosi exiles and descendants of Blackfyre exiles, and they are determined to come home. 

So historically, the GC were opposed to Targaryens. However, there is a book character named Jon Connington, who was the Hand of the Mad King Aerys. Connington is with the GC, and he adored Rhaegar. Varys supposedly switched babies before the Mountain killed Aegon. Connington, who has greyscale (given to Show Jorah because reasons), raised baby Aegon, and now they are returning to Westeros to put Aegon on the throne. Many fans believe Aegon is a fake (he may even be a Blackfyre). There is a whole Varys & Illryio plot with this Aegon, but that is clearly not in the show, so...

Will there be a character named Jon Connington in the show? Will he switch sides when he hears that his beloved "silver prince" had a son who survived and is fighting a Lannister, whose House had Rhaegar's other children murdered? Or will they just be a nameless army like the Dothraki?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    GredalBee
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Nameless army! Nameless army!

Just kidding. I don't care what the hell they just as long as I get to see Drogon scoop up an elephant and throw it into something. Id prefer Dickon and his dumb dad, but since they arent around anymore, anything else will do.
    webswingerbudesigns
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Dario will be back and most likely lead them. Imo.
    GredalBee
  • Freddy said:

Just kidding. I don't care what the hell they just as long as I get to see Drogon scoop up an elephant and throw it into something. Id prefer Dickon and his dumb dad, but since they arent around anymore, anything else will do.

People have so geeked about the elephants, but I just thought blah. We gave already seen Mammoths so why is everyone so excited about elephants? But now I really want to see one get flung and destroy a gate or wall or even the red keep
  • Elisa said:

Dario will be back and most likely lead them. Imo.

Lawd, if they bring back Daario Snore-haris, I swear I will throw something at my television. But seriously, why would the Golden Company accept someone who betrayed and murdered his superior officers into their elite brotherhood, much less make him their leader? As boring as Daario is, I don't see him betraying the woman he loves and admires by abandoning his appointment, nor do I see him being petty and fighting against her in Westeros.

Mostly, I'm just glad they finally ditched boring-ass Daario and his dodgy accent.
    Elisa
  • Thanks, @Murderbear

@m_boogie66  The history and politics of the Golden Company are bit complicated, and some of the plotting has been passed to Cersei, Jorah, and possibly Jon, now. So I don't know how the show will use the Golden Company in S8, but I expect that they will switch sides. The show has nerfed Daenerys and built up Cersei, but Cersei has to start failing in S8. The GC has broken a contract in the books, presumably to meet up with Daenerys, which didn't work out, and now they are with someone who may or may not be Aegon Targaryen, setting up a second Dance of Dragons (Targaryen civil war) once Daenerys arrives in Westeros. This will likely be Daenerys vs. Cersei in the show because it's highly unlikely that Jon Snow/Aegon will contest Daenerys for the Iron Throne.

The Golden Company want to return home to Westeros and have their lands and titles restored. I don't see Cersei offering that, but Daenerys probably would. Then again, the show might just make them nothing more than an elite sellsword company. With elephants.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Some background:
    The Golden Company was founded by Aegor Rivers, a Targaryen bastard, who fled Westeros with the sons of Daemon Blackfyre after the first Blackfyre Rebellion. The Blackfyre Rebellions were basically Targaryen civil wars, with the Blackfyres (a cadet Targaryen House founded by a legitimized Targ bastard) asserting their claim over the Targaryen lineage. The rebellions have failed each time, but the GC is an elite brotherhood comprising Westerosi exiles and descendants of Blackfyre exiles, and they are determined to come home. 

So historically, the GC were opposed to Targaryens. However, there is a book character named Jon Connington, who was the Hand of the Mad King Aerys. Connington is with the GC, and he adored Rhaegar. Varys supposedly switched babies before the Mountain killed Aegon. Connington, who has greyscale (given to Show Jorah because reasons), raised baby Aegon, and now they are returning to Westeros to put Aegon on the throne. Many fans believe Aegon is a fake (he may even be a Blackfyre). There is a whole Varys & Illryio plot with this Aegon, but that is clearly not in the show, so...

Will there be a character named Jon Connington in the show? Will he switch sides when he hears that his beloved "silver prince" had a son who survived and is fighting a Lannister, whose House had Rhaegar's other children murdered? Or will they just be a nameless army like the Dothraki?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    I foresee interesting and compelling storylines wherein the Golden Company and Jon empathize with each other because of their treatment as noble bastards.
  • Freddy said:

People have so geeked about the elephants, but I just thought blah. We gave already seen Mammoths so why is everyone so excited about elephants? But now I really want to see one get flung and destroy a gate or wall or even the red keep
    Meh, or we could all just re-watch Return of the King.