2017 Emmys

MrXMrX CO
edited September 2017 in Other TV
Watched some of it last night, I guess I should get around to watching Handmaid's Tale and Big Little Lies as they cleaned up.

From shows I have seen, glad to see these winners:
Donald Glover for Acting and Directing for Atlanta
Lena Waithe and Aziz Ansari for the "Thanksgiving" episode of Master of  None
Black Mirror's "San Junipero" for best TV movie and for writing (interesting that they entered it in that category - smart move as the miniseries category was stacked)
Kate McKinnon for Supporting Actress SNL

Disappointments:
Comedy series - Veep won, which is fine, but I feel like Atlanta was way better last year
Actress, Comedy - again JLD and Veep are a lock I guess, but would've liked to see the darkhorse Pam Adlon for Better Things
Supporting Actor & Actress - I didn't see the winners (Lithgow in The Crown, and Ann Dowd in Handmaid's (Ann gave a lovely speech!)), but I thought this is the category where Westworld should've gotten some love with Jeffrey Wright and Thandie Newton.
Supporting Actor Drama - c'mon gotta give it to Thewlis for Fargo

And of course the biggest disappointment, The Leftovers not even getting nominated for anything.

Next year Twin Peaks better win everything.

hisdudeness915Elisa[Deleted User]

Comments

• I have seen Handmaids Tale and Big Little Lies and thought they were both good but not "Clean up on Emmys" good. I think Elisabeth Moss was very deserving of the Best actress award though. I can't say that I agree with Ann Dowd's win but it was nice to see her win one. The best moment of the night for me was Lena Waithe and Aziz Ansari winning for best writing for the "Thanksgiving" episode. That was a fantastic episode and I'm glad it got the recognition it deserved.
    Elisa
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited September 2017
    Yay for Kate McKinnon!
    Frakkin T
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited September 2017
    Our little Bald Move "Wow, is it just me, or is this show fantastic?" Big Little Lies thread is vindicated!

@hisdudeness915 - I agree about The Handmaid's Tale. That was a political win. Happens all the time, but always feels lame and empty when it does.
    Michelle
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I thought Handmaid's Tale was excellent and that it deserved the wins, maybe even missed out on a nomination it should have gotten (Yvonne Strahovski for playing Serena Joy.) 

I was disappointed that Better Call Saul didn't win. I didn't expect Rhea Seehorn to win up against Elisabeth Moss and Robin Wright, but it would have been nice. Gilligan losing for directing was tough, as well as Jonathan Banks getting snubbed again. 

My biggest disappointment was Sarah Paulson's dress; she looked like a baked potato: 

Dummy
    amyja89 said:

Yay for Kate McKinnon!

She deserved it, no doubt, but it would have been nice to see Leslie Jones win if only because her acceptance speech would have been hilarious. 
    CretanBull
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Big Littles Lies was a fun show to watch but it was simply "rich people problems" wrapped around a murder mystery.
    CretanBull
    edited September 2017
    Noel said:

Big Littles Lies was a fun show to watch but it was simply "rich people problems" wrapped around a murder mystery.

Love me some rich people problems, especially when their problems are stereotypically poor people problems.
  • I wasn't aware domestic abuse was "rich people problems"...
    pavlovsbellJaimieTjazzminawaTaraC73
  • I just binged the first season of Big Little Lies over the weekend and thought it was really good, very well acted, written, and directed.  Alexander Skarsgard definitely deserved his Emmy.  I also thought Sterling K. Brown was super deserving of his Emmy.  That man is *so* damn good in This is Us.

ON THE OTHER HAND:
    • I'm disappointed that Harlots wasn't nominated for one. damn. thing.  If anyone has seen this amazing show on Hulu (it's a Hulu original), then you know that it *at least* should have been nommed for costuming, set design, and makeup.
    • The Leftovers was shut out - unforgivable.
    • Tired of Julia Louis-Dreyfus winning year after year over more deserving nominees.
    • Why nominate Carrie Coon for Fargo?  She was better in The Leftovers.
    • Penny Dreadful lost the *one* Emmy they were nommed for (makeup?).  They should have been nommed for best drama series.
    • WHEN THE HELL IS EVA GREEN GOING TO BE RECOGNIZED FOR THE BRILLIANCE THAT IS HER ACTING?
    • Please never, ever have Jermaine Fowler announce the show again
    Elisa
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I still just can't get over the fact that Michael McKean didn't even get so much as a nomination. When I saw his scene in the episode Chicanery, I figured he was a shoe-in for a win. But not even getting nominated?! Jesus H. 
    Michelle
  • I was disappointed in the nominations -- shows that were far more interesting and creative and overall more deserving than some of the nominees (The Leftovers, The Young Pope, Rectify, Fleabag, Catastrophe, and BoJack Horseman to name few) were passed over for more standard fare. But I was happy with most of the winners out of those nominees.

It was shockingly hypocritical for the Emmys to pat itself on the back for being progressive and diverse while shamelessly trotting out Sean Spicer for the laffs and normalizing an administration and its ghouls that Hollywood is supposedly criticizing.
    chriskElisajazzminawa
  • My main issue is they didn't include Charlie Murphy in the "In Memoriam" clip. There were other notable snubs, but Charlie Murphy not being included bothers me the most.
    jazzminawaTaraC73
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    So, I didn't realize until the "In Memoriam" reel that John Heard had passed away.  That bummed me out.  RIP, Peter McCallister.  That will definitely shade some blue on my Christmas this year when I watch Home Alone.

Big haul last night for the still relatively new content providers: Hulu, Netflix, Amazon...

For fun I looked at the 1997 Emmy's winners to see what it was like 20 years back.  HBO had some stuff but major networks dominated.  Now NBC, ABC etc take a small minority of the nominations.  

Happy for Handmaid's Tale the most, followed by Black Mirror.  And now I want to watch Big Little Lies.  Putting it in the queue. 

JaimieTMichelle
  • @cdrive You won't regret seeing Big Little Lies.  It's really good.  I, too, am going to watch The Handmaid's Tale now.  I was on the fence about it when it was released, then never watched it, but after seeing how many noms/wins it got and also that Elisabeth Moss actually won Best Actress for it, I think I'll give it a go.

Also, Harry Dean Stanton should most definitely have been included in the In Memoriam.

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier, one of the best parts of the night - the rousing standing ovation that Ms. Cicely Tyson received.  That woman is a *legend*.  Bow down, bitches.  And at 92 years old, she *slayed* in that gorgeous gown.  I want those heels though!

Elisacdrive
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 2017
    I agree with you on several points, but must disagree about Kate McKinnon.  She is undoubtedly carrying this show.  One of her funniest recurring characters is the woman who claims to be abducted or have a 'situation' with alien life, only her experience is much, muuuuch different than the other two people being interviewed:

hisdudeness915TaraC73hall1114
  • @Frakkin T - Rhea Seehorn wasn't nominated...
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

@Frakkin T - Rhea Seehorn wasn't nominated...

That is another crime. Don't get me started. 
    Michelle said:

I agree with you on several points, but must disagree about Kate McKinnon.  She is undoubtedly carrying this show.  One of her funniest recurring characters is the woman who claims to be abducted or have a 'situation' with alien life, only her experience is much, muuuuch different than the other two people being interviewed:

I didn't know they made this into a series! Love it. This year of SNL has been incredible, with several sketches I've gone back to multiple times. David Pumpkins, Sectional Couches, the Amazon Echo for seniors...

10 years ago SNL was flat. I watched old classics to understand the appeal. But now, I guess they found better writers? And Kate McKinnon is gold. 
    Michelle
  • Anyone who watched has obviously commented on how the Leftovers was robbed, I was shocked to see that whilst Ann Dowd got a supporting nod for THT she missed her guest actress Emmy for Patti in the Leftovers. So the show got only got one nomination across the whole run and didn't win a single award. 

It will be a talking point across Bald Move Nation for a long time
    Michelle

wait what? what alternate universe do I live in where I saw her name in the noms list?
  • Frakkin T said:

wait what? what alternate universe do I live in where I saw her name in the noms list?
    The only noms she's ever received for BCS were in 2015 and 2017 for the Satellite Awards, which are given by by the International Press Academy.
    davemcb
This discussion has been closed.