703 - Neighbors from Hell

Director: Gwyneth Horder-Payton
Writer: James Wong
KingKobra

Comments

• I think right now we are to strongly think her wife is in on it right? She made the new password clowns (forget the rest). this was a slow episode, but I sort of enjoyed it (if you can ever really enjoy AHS)!!slowly moving the story forward by closing the walls around Ally, which I assume will be used to make her "flip" and become subservient to Kai.
    ElisaMichelle
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    "I am the least racist person you've ever met."

If you had "Sarah Paulson quotes Trump" in the betting pool, that's a bingo!
    ElisaTxSandMan
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Ally and the shrink both seem to be in on it - for sure.
    Also I thought of this when Ally ripped the mask off and the happy face was underneath: Is this a Twisty cult? The happy face with the hole in the middle might be a stylized and logo-ized version of Twisty's face, with the hole at the mouth representing the shotgun blast. Did I crack the case?
  • I wrote in on this, but I feel like we keep getting caught up in this theme obsession that never truly delivers. We continue to make inferences into how the directors will eventually integrate this theme into the plot, and at least from my perspective, it never actually plays out. 

I can almost guarantee that the clever and visually enticing marketing promos will never, ever come to fruition in this story. It happens season after season after season. 
  • I wrote in on this, but I feel like we keep getting caught up in this theme obsession that never truly delivers. We continue to make inferences into how the directors will eventually integrate this theme into the plot, and at least from my perspective, it never actually plays out. 

I can almost guarantee that the clever and visually enticing marketing promos will never, ever come to fruition in this story. It happens season after season after season. 
    We have both clowns and bees so far, both which were in this season. We also had Trump and Hillary tie in 1st episode. The theme being "Cult" can work many different ways (from political views, to violent cult). Not sure personally I agree.
    ElisaRose
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    This was the first episode of the season that didn't feel just like a series of sinister vignettes, it actually felt like they were sewing a long lasting plot together which is nice, it's something that I never felt really happened in Hotel in particular.

A.Ron is so right about the killing of pets being the worst ever, I had already exclaimed a quiet "oh fuck" when that couple at the start were nailed in to the coffins, but OH BOY when Mr. Guinea went pop in that microwave I was like "OHHH FFFUCCCCKKK". 

ElisakianescMichelle
  • I'm opening myself up for attack here, but, guinea pigs <> lovable.
  • amyja89 said:

This was the first episode of the season that didn't feel just like a series of sinister vignettes, it actually felt like they were sewing a long lasting plot together which is nice, it's something that I never felt really happened in Hotel in particular.

A.Ron is so right about the killing of pets being the worst ever, I had already exclaimed a quiet "oh fuck" when that couple at the start were nailed in to the coffins, but OH BOY when Mr. Guinea went pop in that microwave I was like "OHHH FFFUCCCCKKK". 

I agree with Hotel having one of the poorest examples of exhibiting their themes of addiction. Coven comes in at a close second. Out of every season, I think infidelity in season 1 was highlighted and resonated very well at the conclusion of the season. 

I literally got up and walked out of the room when the exploding rodent occurred. So not cool. It served no true purpose to plot development and I can't imagine anyone being on board with watching animals die. I can compare this worthless example of shock value to stainless steel, barbed dildo in Hotel; equally useless.

Fun story. I had quite an experience with my cat Munster yesterday. I saw my cat dashing into the living room from the backyard, with a small black creature running in front of him. At first glance we thought it was a mouse. The cat, my husband, and the creature headed for the bathroom where it was cornered. It turned out to be a baby mole and it was absolutely precious. We are happy to report that we captured him in a basket and released him back outside. The cat was visibly depressed afterwards. 
    KingKobra said:

I wrote in on this, but I feel like we keep getting caught up in this theme obsession that never truly delivers. We continue to make inferences into how the directors will eventually integrate this theme into the plot, and at least from my perspective, it never actually plays out. 

We have both clowns and bees so far, both which were in this season. We also had Trump and Hillary tie in 1st episode. The theme being "Cult" can work many different ways (from political views, to violent cult). Not sure personally I agree.

ElisaTaraC73Michelle
  • BlanchBlanch Tempe, Az
    edited September 20
    The doctor must be in on it. I feel like Ivy is at least complacent in the clown plot if not completely in on it herself. What if Ivy did the pinky game with EP and said she was afraid Ali would eventually go crazy?

Oh and I have some serious bookcase envy! Love that living room set up
    ElisaMichelle
  • Honestly, Sarah Paulson's character/performance is downright unwatchable, even on a hate-watch/mock it level. I can't bear to spend a single second with this character. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Funny though, I don't think it's one bit the actresses fault. I think she is giving exactly what has been asked of her. It's just unbearable. 
    hisdudeness915TaraC73MichelleTravis
  • Honestly, Sarah Paulson's character/performance is downright unwatchable, even on a hate-watch/mock it level. I can't bear to spend a single second with this character. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Funny though, I don't think it's one bit the actresses fault. I think she is giving exactly what has been asked of her. It's just unbearable. 

I agree. Same with that F-ing kid. Idk why he bothers me so much. He doesn't act like a kid would act in any situations presented in the show. Granted situations in this show are exaggerated, but it doesn't make sense I say!
    hisdudeness915hypergenesbMichelle
  • The podcast is out today right?
    TaraC73
  • MichelleMichelle California
    At least Sarah Paulson stopped crying for 2 seconds in this episode. That's a win in and of itself.

I have a sinking feeling that Oz is going to end up on the evil side at some point, like a switch is going to flip in his head with all the fucked up stuff he's seen and his love of clowns. Something's gotta give with him 'cause right now he's just vanilla.

I'm coming around to the popular 'Vincent is in on it' theory. And I still think Winter and Ivy are shady as hell. Ivy rigged the bathroom spy cam and changed the password to the network or whatever it was, and Winter's job was to seduce Ally so that Ivy could have one more thing to make Ally feel badly about, which affects her psyche and Ivy inches closer to driving Ally insane.
    Elisa
  • Regarding the cast today on typophobia: why is arachnophobia any different typophobia? Both are irrational fears of things and illicit a negative reaction when the person with the fear is exposed to it. I have typophobia and I don't go into a dibilitating reaction to it, just like I have a fear of spiders but I'm not dibilitated when i see a spider.

There is an evolutionary survival explaination as to why humans have an adverse reaction to cluster of holes-- typically cluster of holes have harmful creatures or poisonous aspects to them, so we're conditioned to stay away from them
    xulsolar22
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    @the28thfish - this is only my third season of AHS. It even I realize what we’re watching - a horror show! Of course there’s gonna be gore and death and WTF moments - both plot serving and gratuitous... getting butthurt is dumb. If you want rainbows and unicorns may I suggest watching the Cartoon Network?

We have two guinea pigs (and two rabbits and a dog!) and I cringed when Mr. Guinea popped... but it was a cool WTF moment and made the already tense show even more so.
    Elisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    gguenot said:

Regarding the cast today on typophobia: why is arachnophobia any different typophobia? Both are irrational fears of things and illicit a negative reaction when the person with the fear is exposed to it. I have typophobia and I don't go into a dibilitating reaction to it, just like I have a fear of spiders but I'm not dibilitated when i see a spider.

There is an evolutionary survival explaination as to why humans have an adverse reaction to cluster of holes-- typically cluster of holes have harmful creatures or poisonous aspects to them, so we're conditioned to stay away from them

Because it's the debilitating fear that defines a phobia. Lots of people are in comfortable with snakes and spiders and enclosed spaces. Not many have a complete nervous breakdown on confronting those. I feel like phobia is thrown around lightly and non clinically.
    ReniTaraC73Elisa
  • Ok, so I don't know how to put this, so please bear with me.
    This season has tapped into something with me, and is totally freaking me out and upsetting. I don't know how else to put it.
    The first episode freaked me out so badly that it's taken until just now to watch the second and third.
    I've always loved horror movies, and have enjoyed every season of the show. But this season ... *shudders*
  • gguenot said:

Regarding the cast today on typophobia: why is arachnophobia any different typophobia? Both are irrational fears of things and illicit a negative reaction when the person with the fear is exposed to it. I have typophobia and I don't go into a dibilitating reaction to it, just like I have a fear of spiders but I'm not dibilitated when i see a spider.

Because it's the debilitating fear that defines a phobia. Lots of people are in comfortable with snakes and spiders and enclosed spaces. Not many have a complete nervous breakdown on confronting those. I feel like phobia is thrown around lightly and non clinically.
    You don't have to be mean about it :( just kidding, but yea that's fair. I just get creeped the F out at those clusters.
  • Uh, @A_Ron_Hubbard, Cecily is right. She's always right. 
    ElisaCecilyMichelleiMatty94Travis
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    So my wife has trypophobia or however you want to define phobia. Long before the internet trend or even mainstream internet. It makes her irrationally nervous to where she has to look away to let the nervousness subside.

It's things like a bunch of small bubbles or anything organic that is a bunch of round things grouped, not the stupid holes although that does the trick too. So it's a thing. I've known about it for over 20 years now cause of her.

Switch subject but yes that house and that mod bendy frame in the walkway is redonk. Wanting to fuck a house indeed. Same as murder house and Roanoke...and coven. Just super sick sets on AHS.
    ElisaCecilyTaraC73Michelle
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati

Uh, @A_Ron_Hubbard, Cecily is right. She's always right. 

So I don't want to be "that guy" but I need to know what I was specifically right on. We had a heated battle about the price of admission to comic expo in Cincy (we were both right) and the status of a new tattoo on a friend (he was right) so a healthy marriage doesn't keep count but...
    Travis
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited September 23
    Cecily said:

So I don't want to be "that guy" but I need to know what I was specifically right on. We had a heated battle about the price of admission to comic expo in Cincy (we were both right) and the status of a new tattoo on a friend (he was right) so a healthy marriage doesn't keep count but...
    I was referring to that debate you had at the end of this cast, which I listened to on the ride home ... but I'm so tired right now that I can't remember. I just remember shouting in traffic, "Cecily is right!" Is that specific enough for you... ? :-)
    Cecily
  • I was soo into this episode then the breakup scene happened and we had literally a 2 second power cut. Everything went off then literally 2 seconds later everything came back on. Anyways I turned it back on and finished it.
    Elisa
  • Cecily said:

I was referring to that debate you had at the end of this cast, which I listened to on the ride home ... but I'm so tired right now that I can't remember. I just remember shouting in traffic, "Cecily is right!" Is that specific enough for you... ? :-)
    I think this was the "dick face value dildo face" argument.
    hypergenesbTravis
  • Cecily said:

I have been married for 10 years and change, and I have been right 14 times. It's ok to keep a count.

That said, only the source of the email can say for sure (as it really came down to that person's intent) but with great respect, I was with A.Ron on the argument from what I heard in what they wrote. I don't think he was getting at anything specific, just wanted to make a name that he found very amusing a running thing. That said, this is coming from a guy who has been right 14 times in 10 years so feel free to consider the source.
    KingKobra
  • For as long as I can remember (at least a couple of decades), I've been "suffering" from Trypophobia without knowing what it was.  I've always gotten a very unsettling feeling when seeing a variety of hole-like patterns.  I figured it must have been in reaction to something that bothered me as a child (I'm afraid of spiders, and when I was a kid, I ran into a garden spider in its web). Then, thanks to the Internet, I discovered what it was called (and I've never been on Reddit).  I haven't been diagnosed or anything, and I understand it's not a professionally recognized phobia, but I know how I feel and how I physically react, and it is real. Of course, on this season of AHS, the behavior in response to numerous phobias is very over the top.  I don't do irrational things; I'm just affected physically when triggered. Episode 5 may be a little challenging (it's entitled "Holes"), but I figure I can outsmart this "condition" by addressing it whenever I am triggered (which I do not do on purpose, trust me, accept for probably watching that episode). I enjoy the podcast, so keep up the good work!    
    Frakkin TgguenotBrawn
    Randy said:

For as long as I can remember (at least a couple of decades), I've been "suffering" from Trypophobia without knowing what it was.  I've always gotten a very unsettling feeling when seeing a variety of hole-like patterns.  I figured it must have been in reaction to something that bothered me as a child (I'm afraid of spiders, and when I was a kid, I ran into a garden spider in its web). Then, thanks to the Internet, I discovered what it was called (and I've never been on Reddit).  I haven't been diagnosed or anything, and I understand it's not a professionally recognized phobia, but I know how I feel and how I physically react, and it is real. Of course, on this season of AHS, the behavior in response to numerous phobias is very over the top.  I don't do irrational things; I'm just affected physically when triggered. Episode 5 may be a little challenging (it's entitled "Holes"), but I figure I can outsmart this "condition" by addressing it whenever I am triggered (which I do not do on purpose, trust me, accept for probably watching that episode). I enjoy the podcast, so keep up the good work!    

Yeah it's definitely a thing. Sarah Paulson was on Ellen recently and spoke about her experience with it. Ellen was amazed such a thing existed and asked her audience if any of them were affected by it, and several people raised their hands. 
  • Randy said:

For as long as I can remember (at least a couple of decades), I've been "suffering" from Trypophobia without knowing what it was.  I've always gotten a very unsettling feeling when seeing a variety of hole-like patterns.  I figured it must have been in reaction to something that bothered me as a child (I'm afraid of spiders, and when I was a kid, I ran into a garden spider in its web). Then, thanks to the Internet, I discovered what it was called (and I've never been on Reddit).  I haven't been diagnosed or anything, and I understand it's not a professionally recognized phobia, but I know how I feel and how I physically react, and it is real. Of course, on this season of AHS, the behavior in response to numerous phobias is very over the top.  I don't do irrational things; I'm just affected physically when triggered. Episode 5 may be a little challenging (it's entitled "Holes"), but I figure I can outsmart this "condition" by addressing it whenever I am triggered (which I do not do on purpose, trust me, accept for probably watching that episode). I enjoy the podcast, so keep up the good work!    

Thank you! Although ARon is TECHNICALLY right— phobias are characterized by a dibilitating fear, it doesnt mean our reactions aren’t real. Us “hole-ers ” are a real subgroup and we deserve to be recognized

Frakkin T
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    The whole point of a phobia is that it is an irrational fear, I’m much more enclined to be sympathetic to somebody scared of clusters than somebody scared of something like fire, because we should be scared of fire!

Personally, the only phobia I can say I truly struggle with is thalassophobia, which is fear of the ocean. It pretty much encompasses fear of deep, open water, the feeling of endless unknown beneath, and of terrifying sea creatures, most of which only exist in my head I’m sure! I don’t have panic attacks if I see a piciture of the sea or anything like that, in fact I’m sort of obsessed with deep sea documentaries, but there’s absolutely no way you’d ever get me on a cruise or deep sea fishing or even past knee height at the beach. When I’m flying somewhere, whilst others are worried about the event of a crash, I’m sat there hoping that if we go down, we do it hard on to the land rather than floating in the ocean, the thought of that makes me SHUDDER.
    gguenot