The White Queen

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
Has anyone watched this? It's from 2013 on Starz and it's based on some historical novels about the War of the Roses. Several GoT actors are on it, including the actors who play Tommen and The Waif. I don't know much about this period of history but I'm finding it very watchable.

Comments

• I saw an episode or two of it when it first aired...the fact that I barely remember anything about it is probably why I never got back to it.  Given that it deals with the War of the Roses and my family's background is on the White Rose side of things and they (Richard the III anyway) are almost always negatively portrayed might have been why I gave up on it...but like I said, I really don't remember!

Michelle
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Thanks for your passionate response, lol
    CretanBull
    Actually the whole thing is more about the White side, as evidenced by the title, haha.

They do show some of the other side, and they aren't portrayed entirely unsympathetically either, but it's mainly focused on the Yorks' reigns.
  • Watched it, if you like the time period you may enjoy it. I liked, didn't love it.
    KingKobra said:

Watched it, if you like the time period you may enjoy it. I liked, didn't love it.

Yeah, that's how I felt too. I read more about the main players afterward and I also think they played around a little bit with a few historical details, which is annoying, although I didn't read anything too deeply, mainly Wikipedia and a few other articles. Also, the main queen, who is a real historical character, keeps doing witchcraft in this, lol.  So... yeah.

But it was enjoyable enough to watch while crocheting. And I think I will watch The White Princess, a followup they did earlier this year.

It's so crazy, the actress who plays the Waif plays a noblewoman in this and since the character is so different, I kept thinking she was familiar but didn't put it together until I checked IMDB. And she's in every episode! 
    KingKobra
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I enjoyed both mini-series - both The White Princess and the White Queen are based on historical fiction books by Philippa Gregory.  She is very prolific and they do use creative license ALOT.
    akritenbrink
    Elisa said:

I enjoyed both mini-series - both The White Princess and the White Queen are based on historical fiction books by Philippa Gregory.  She is very prolific and they do use creative license ALOT.

Yeah. I went through a historical romance phase years ago (actually a couple decades ago) and read some of her books. The books were always very focused on the romance, which I thought was kind of tamed a bit for the show, or else I'm just desensitized since there's a lot of sex in everything nowadays.
  • MichelleMichelle California

I saw an episode or two of it when it first aired...the fact that I barely remember anything about it is probably why I never got back to it.  Given that it deals with the War of the Roses and my family's background is on the White Rose side of things and they (Richard the III anyway) are almost always negatively portrayed might have been why I gave up on it...but like I said, I really don't remember!

I also have ancestors who are on the White Rose side, especially Plantagenets.   Seems we (and thousands of others but still) are indirectly related.  lol
    Michelle said:

I saw an episode or two of it when it first aired...the fact that I barely remember anything about it is probably why I never got back to it.  Given that it deals with the War of the Roses and my family's background is on the White Rose side of things and they (Richard the III anyway) are almost always negatively portrayed might have been why I gave up on it...but like I said, I really don't remember!

I also have ancestors who are on the White Rose side, especially Plantagenets.   Seems we (and thousands of others but still) are indirectly related.  lol
    I think both sides were Plantagenets, weren't they? They were all related. It was very GoT-y in that show because an uncle pretended to have an affair with his niece to make others jealous, and cousins were always getting married to each other.
  • MichelleMichelle California

Michelle said:

I think both sides were Plantagenets, weren't they? They were all related. It was very GoT-y in that show because an uncle pretended to have an affair with his niece to make others jealous, and cousins were always getting married to each other.
    Oh, I didn't know that - I only knew of the Plantagenets being on the White Rose side.  Good info though, thanks!  Not super proud of my ancestors marrying each other though... ugh.
    akritenbrinkCretanBull
    Michelle said:

Michelle said:

Oh, I didn't know that - I only knew of the Plantagenets being on the White Rose side.  Good info though, thanks!  Not super proud of my ancestors marrying each other though... ugh.
    Well, they were in good company, I guess haha
    It's funny watching this show and comparing it to GoT, which reportedly is somewhat based on this period of history. For example, the GoT battle scenes are spectacular whereas this show has a battle where there were supposedly like 15000 soldiers IRL, but it looks like about 20 guys fighting in the woods on the show haha.
  • I thought the White Queen was pretty good. Solid mid-tier execution. Haven't watched the Princess one yet. 
  • It's funny watching this show and comparing it to GoT, which reportedly is somewhat based on this period of history. For example, the GoT battle scenes are spectacular whereas this show has a battle where there were supposedly like 15000 soldiers IRL, but it looks like about 20 guys fighting in the woods on the show haha.

It probably was Martin's the biggest real-world inspiration when writing A Song of Ice and Fire.

Lannisters = Lancaster's
    Starks = York's

And then there are a bunch of GoT characters who are pretty close analogs to someone from that period, or maybe a mashup of a few people. You can see a lot of Margaret in Cersei, for example, being all devious and whatnot to advance her son's claim to the throne.

akritenbrink
    Yeah, I knew it was a big inspiration for GoT, and this series was interesting, but I would like to learn more about the era and more in depth what the correlaries are. 

I kind of saw Stanley as a Littlefinger type by the end of the miniseries. He played politics so well that he was always aligned with the winners. And IDK how true to life this is, but during the battle of Bosworth they portray him as watching from a hilltop and then deciding which side to join based on waiting for Richard III to fall and then swooping in and finishing up the battle to hand a decisive victory to Henry Tudor (whose mother was his wife, whom he had told the day before he wouldn't support her son because the other side had his son held captive). 
  • Michelle said:

Today, most of my extended family live in and around Leeds, but we've traced the family back as far as we could.  We hit a dead-end with my dad's family about 300 years back...the paternal side of his family pop up in Leeds about 300 years ago with some birth announcements.  The maternal side of his family go back in Leeds to the 1850's and were in Ireland before that...we haven't been able to trace the family in Ireland at all (perhaps suggesting that they were illegal immigrants to England!).  My mum's family are from various parts of Yorkshire going back 600 years.  Her father's family are from the Leeds area through out, but her mum's family are more scattered about Yorkshire and at some point about 100 years ago a branch of them ended up down South near Reading in a small town called Maidenhead.  Somewhat ironically, during WWII Maidenhead was in the path of German bombing runs so the family ended up being evacuated up North and ended up back in Leeds.