The Good Place (NBC)

MrXMrX CO
edited September 21 in Other TV
You know what's good? This show! And season 2 started tonight. Really digging the narrative structure they used this episode. Was wondering how'd they keep things fresh after the big reveal last season, so far so good.

Also, Jason is the best. Jacksonville!!

Anyone else watching?
pavlovsbellChinaskiElisadarthcaedus1138

Comments

• aberry89aberry89 California
    edited September 21
    I checked out a couple episodes because the premise looked really interesting. I like the charachters but I'm feeling the comedy is a little too chipper, I mean I know that's the point, they are in heaven...but I tend to like my comedy dry and dark ;)

Also, really enjoyed how the pilot took place at the Huntington Museum & Botanical Garden here in California! It's FREAKING gorgeous and i visit whenever i can
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I loved the premiere. I'm so happy this show is back. I wonder if we'll get something like the moral philosophy discussion of S1, or if that's done with. I enjoyed the individual perspectives of the premiere -- I'm a sucker for multiple POVs, and I'm super curious to see what they do next.
    Elisa
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited September 21
    good to know. i've heard good things but it was low in my queue since i don't go outta my way to watch netwrok TV shows (Last Man on Earth is the only that comes to mind). bald movers have cred so will be checking it out!
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Enjoyed S1. I was worried they would run out of material but I am hearing good things about S2. Gonna check it out tomorrow. I watched S1 on Hulu.
    DeePhoebes89
  • Finally finished season 1 yesterday, I fucking loved it; Michael Schur has the keys to my funny bone. Adam Scott had me rolling a couple of times. Really excited for Season 2. 
    Travis
  • aberry89 said:

I checked out a couple episodes because the premise looked really interesting. I like the charachters but I'm feeling the comedy is a little too chipper, I mean I know that's the point, they are in heaven...but I tend to like my comedy dry and dark ;)

Also, really enjoyed how the pilot took place at the Huntington Museum & Botanical Garden here in California! It's FREAKING gorgeous and i visit whenever i can
    Keep watching ... can't really say anymore without spoiling, but it's well worth it.
  • I wasn't afraid of hell before, but now I know butthole spiders are a thing. Only good deeds from now on!
    ElisaMrXBrawn
  • I keep expecting them to run out of ideas of where to take the show next, but they just don't. Last night'swas one of their best yet. 
    pavlovsbellTravis
    I love this show so much. Drew Goddard directing this episode ("Dance Dance Resolution") was perfect, as he knows something about meta narratives gone wrong (The Cabin in the Woods). It's so quotable and fast that you need to watch it twice to pick up all the jokes.
    Travis
  • Well everything about that was fantastic. Glad we got a Blake Bortles joke!

Here is a ranking of all the restaurant names in the various hell reboots:

Best line of the episode might go to Mindy St. Clair:

"Sometimes you go back because you walk in on me masturbating, and sometimes you go back because I walk in on you while I'm masturbating."
    Travis
    Well everything about that was fantastic. Glad we got a Blake Bortles joke!
    Here is a ranking of all the restaurant names in the various hell reboots:http://uproxx.com/tv/good-place-restaurant-signs-ranked/

Best line of the episode might go to Mindy St. Clair:
    "Sometimes you go back because you walk in on me masturbating, and sometimes you go back because I walk in on you while I'm masturbating."
    Man, those restaurant names are hilarious. I would gladly live in the Japanese food neighborhood and eat at Sushi and the Banshees and the Ponzu Scheme. I love the running jokes of Chidi thinking that he's in the Bad Place because he ignored the environmental concerns of almond milk and Mike Schur's vendetta against foods he hates like Hawaiian pizza and clam chowder. 

My top jokes were:

“I have tickets to Hamilton, and there’s a rumor that Daveed Diggs is coming back!”

“You’re like those childhood bullies who always said I would never get tenure.”

“I’m too young to die and too old to eat off the kids menu. What a stupid age I am!” Also Michael's shame when Jason figured it out.

“Three hour spoken word jazz opera.” Okay, I love jazz, but that sounds like true torture.
    Travis
    Writer Megan Amram tweeted an abridged version of the full list of restaurant puns she submitted with her first draft:

• MrXMrX CO
    edited October 28
    Janet origin story! That was actually a really smart rumination on the morality issues involved with artificial intelligence ... While still being hilarious. Reviews this week actually compared it to Westworld and Blade Runner.

And she made a Jason Mantzoukas rebound boyfriend, hopefully we get more of him!

Ted Danson continues to be amazing on this show. Over in the "best of 2017" thread I put this in my top 5 so far, and this episode verified that for sure.

"What's a food that people think they enjoy, but also is kind of a bummer?

Frozen yogurt!"
    Travis
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Zouks!! So happy to see him show up! This show is so damn good.
    MrX
  • Zouks!! So happy to see him show up! This show is so damn good.
    I hope he gets to say "what's up jerks?!" at some point.
    Murderbear
  • Mantzoukas delivered the goods last week. I loved how they progressed through his relationship with Janet over the course of like 7 hours. Sad we don't get any more episodes for a while.

Aside: if the Jacksonville Jaguars continue to be good, can we get some Sunday Night Football tie-in promos with Jason Mendoza?

• TravisTravis CA
    edited November 7
    MrX said:
    Zouks!! So happy to see him show up! This show is so damn good.
    I hope he gets to say "what's up jerks?!" at some point.
    I was on a plane with that dude a little over a week ago. He was wearing a Good Place hat and my wife and I wondered if he might be popping up (in looking at the original air date I suppose he had just been on two nights before, but we didn't know that yet). I gave him the stationary wave and he tossed me a nod. I kind of wanted to say a quick hello, but he had headphones in and I didn't want to be "that guy."
    MrX said:
    Mantzoukas delivered the goods last week. I loved how they progressed through his relationship with Janet over the course of like 7 hours. Sad we don't get any more episodes for a while.

Aside: if the Jacksonville Jaguars continue to be good, can we get some Sunday Night Football tie-in promos with Jason Mendoza?

Ahem, I believe Tahani upgraded the Jaguars from "good" to:

lengmoMrX
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Just FYI, there's a podcast about The Good Place: https://www.theincomparable.com/teevee/goodplace/

Murderbear
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 21
    Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful that The Good Place just got renewed for season 3 ... fork yea motherforkers!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/good-place-renewed-season-3-at-nbc-1060601
    Dummyphoenyx1023lengmopavlovsbellGarthgou81
    lengmo said:
    Just FYI, there's a podcast about The Good Place: https://www.theincomparable.com/teevee/goodplace/

How weird. I just happened to search for a Good Place podcast earlier today and found this one: http://multiverseradio.ca/forkinbullshirt.html

I listened to the latest one, and they do a deep dive and discuss personhood (Janet and Michael) and character arcs, and they have cute Canadian accents, which is always a plus in my book.
    lengmo
  • How weird. I just happened to search for a Good Place podcast earlier today and found this one: http://multiverseradio.ca/forkinbullshirt.html
    Good to know there's something to tide us over since we have to wait until January for more episodes of the show.