The Good Place (NBC)

Comments

• Dummy said:
    OMG this is the greatest thing ever
    MurderbearDummyJoshuaHeterPhoebes89Flukes
  • All right, because you guys recommend it I will continue onwards despite my wife bailing out.
    It's worth it just for the weekly joy that is Janet. Best part of the show
    Also Lin-Manuel Miranda says to watch it and he's cooler than all of us.

phoenyx1023MurderbearDummyPhoebes89
  • I didn't watch the newest episode until Sunday night. After watching Blake Bortles performance earlier that day the show was even funnier.

I came to this show late because I don't watch much network TV anymore. I gave it a chance because Alan Sepinwall kept mentioning it.

My favorite joke of the series is Lynyrd Skynyrd High School which is three tugboats chained together in a junkyard.
    MrXDummy
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 2018
    CapeGabe said:
    I didn't watch the newest episode until Sunday night. After watching Blake Bortles performance earlier that day the show was even funnier.

I came to this show late because I don't watch much network TV anymore. I gave it a chance because Alan Sepinwall kept mentioning it.

My favorite joke of the series is Lynyrd Skynyrd High School which is three tugboats chained together in a junkyard.
    And if you think at least it would be cool to have a school on the water, no, they're just sitting on land in a junk yard.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    This is only Good Place-adjacent because it is another Mike Schur-created show, but I've been watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine and really enjoying it. I've grown weary of prestige dramas about sad/angry white men doing terrible things, so a funny, clever show with people trying to do the right thing is precisely what I need right now.
    DummyMurderbearMrXPhoebes89Flukes
  • I finally got all caught up with this show and it was been a real treat. I wasn’t all that into it at the beginning, but now am so glad I stuck with it and am fully on board. I know this isn’t a spoiler thread, so I’ll stop here, but I’ve been really intrigued by and impressed with so many developments since the back half of season 1.
    MurderbearMrX
  • That last episode was really something amazing. There were so many funny, quotable lines that I don't even know where to begin. Jortles, a spray that makes you smell like the Transformers movie makes you feel (loud and confusing), and an incredible hall of low-end crapiness. I'm still blown away with how this show can evolve when I think there isn't much room left to grow. I'm glad that other people find this show amazing, because I really do think it's currently the best comedy on TV. 
    DaveyMac
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 2018
    Not just the best comedy on tv, I think it's the best overall show on the air right now.

I don't think many shows can both have incredible heartfelt moment at the end, which was well earned by discussions about moral philosophy and character work all season, and then also have hilarious dumb jokes about Jake Jortles and shoving hotdogs into various orifices. By the way, Tahani's fake American accent - amazing, haha!

I was probably laughing the hardest at the audio-only raid of Mindy St. Clair and Derek. "My wind chimes like you". It's like a silly parody of zero-dark-thirty. Glad they're getting so much use out of Zouks.

Loved the costume and set design this episode too. And Dak is perfect casting for a tech-bro torturing douche-demon.

DummyPhoebes89
  • Yeah, I'm really liking this show. I really like Ted Danson but haven't seen him since Becker. Didn't see him on Fargo or True Detective, I'm not sure which he was on because I haven't watched either yet...

It's the right combination of touching and funny for me.
  • Ok The Good Place fans, I know you're still recovering from the Jaguars loss yesterday (RIP Derek Bortles), but there are important things to do; looks like we need to write it in for the best comedy in the 2017 Baldies Community vote - if like me you agree it was the best comedy of the year.

Murderbearjhpark
  • jhpark said:
    Yeah, I'm really liking this show. I really like Ted Danson but haven't seen him since Becker. Didn't see him on Fargo or True Detective, I'm not sure which he was on because I haven't watched either yet...

He's great in Fargo. I don't think he's in True Detective, is he? Am I going crazy? I did block most of s2 out of my memory...
  • asmallcat said:
    jhpark said:
    Yeah, I'm really liking this show. I really like Ted Danson but haven't seen him since Becker. Didn't see him on Fargo or True Detective, I'm not sure which he was on because I haven't watched either yet...

He's great in Fargo. I don't think he's in True Detective, is he? Am I going crazy? I did block most of s2 out of my memory...
    No he definitely wasn't in True Detective.

@jhpark if you want to see another comedic Danson role a great one to check out is Bored to Death - a weird little comedy with Jason Schwartzman and Zach Galifianakis that ran on HBO for a few years
  • Okay, so basically since you all awesome people of BM in this thread are really into this show, I guess that means I should give it a shot, right? :wink: 

Seriously, I've been putting off starting this show, because I have some silly prejudice since some people mentioned it's a comedy... and I don't really watch comedies.. (with the exception of the absurd/crazy, wonderful little British show, Black books). 

So, I would like some advice from the fans here: How much of a "comedy"/sitcom is this? If it is more leaning towards a drama/dramedy, I guess I'll have to give it a go!  Thanks guys. :)

• @SandyWest79. It's 100% sitcom, but one that has a lot of heart.  It's created by Michael Schur, who started on The Office and also created Parks and Rec and Brooklyn 99, so it's a similar type of humor if you're familiar with any of those.
  • Okay, so basically since you all awesome people of BM in this thread are really into this show, I guess that means I should give it a shot, right? :wink: 

Seriously, I've been putting off starting this show, because I have some silly prejudice since some people mentioned it's a comedy... and I don't really watch comedies.. (with the exception of the absurd/crazy, wonderful little British show, Black books). 

So, I would like some advice from the fans here: How much of a "comedy"/sitcom is this? If it is more leaning towards a drama/dramedy, I guess I'll have to give it a go!  Thanks guys. :)

So it's definitely a sitcom/comedy (a very funny one), however ...the plot is serialized and it's very "high concept", there is a lot of great character development, and also lots of twists and turns that you'd normally expect to find in a more serious drama.
  • It’s not bust-a-gut funny, but it’s always amusing.  The plot moves fast and goes in directions you don’t expect over and over.  The ground they covered in S2 Ep 2 went further into the plot than I expected to take place over the entire season.  I’m all-in. 
  • @Shum  @MrX  @bennytube

Alright guys, thanks for the descriptions. Sounds like it would be worth at least trying this show.  :) 
  • edited January 2018
    Hmm... One of the comedy writers I love is Ken Levine - He wrote for  Cheers, Mash, Frasier, and ran Wings. He has a dim view of quirky, non-laugh out loud comedies... But I think he likes 30 Rock, which to me is a more quicky, non-LOL kind of comedy, so I'm not sure if I'm misremembering or just have different tastes (I love 30 Rock myself).

Anyway, all that to say, I think of Good Place as more of a quirky, rarely LOL kind of comedy, but touching and definitely worth watching. And not just because I like Ted Danson and Kristen Bell and enjoy watching them in the same show.... I think?
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited February 2018
    MrX said:
    Ok The Good Place fans, I know you're still recovering from the Jaguars loss yesterday (RIP Derek Bortles), but there are important things to do; looks like we need to write it in for the best comedy in the 2017 Baldies Community vote - if like me you agree it was the best comedy of the year.

Well done folks ... you caught ARon's attention with the strong Baldie's write-in appearance!
    phoenyx1023Dummy
  • "Are you Chidi Ana..Kendrick?" lol

That last part felt almost Lost-esque or something, with Eleanor finding Chidi in the "real world" on her own (with a push from Michael).
    pavlovsbellDaveyMac
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    MrX said:
    "Are you Chidi Ana..Kendrick?" lol

That last part felt almost Lost-esque or something, with Eleanor finding Chidi in the "real world" on her own (with a push from Michael).
    YES I thought it was very Lostian -- Michael as Jacob, Eleanor flying to Sydney -- I expect a decent chunk of S3 to be our Medium peeps in their own Sideways somehow finding their way to each other, but then this show could blow that up in the first episode or go a different route entirely. 

Damn, this show is SO GOOD, Y'ALL.
    MrXBrieanneDaveyMac
  • Just wanted to say, I trusted your recommendations and stuck with the show and you were right.  Great payoff to the first season.  Now working on season 2.
    DeeMrXDaveyMacMurderbear
  • Once again, the finale completely changes the show in a believable, unexpected, and interesting way. I wonder if they'll stick with this concept through the entirety of next season. Michael Schur is a legend.
  • Finally found time to watch this.  So good! I am very excited by the direction this show is going.  My question is, did Michael and The Judge actually rewrite time and put everyone back on earth, or is this just an elaborate simulation?  I interpreted it as the latter, but I could be persuaded otherwise.
    iMatty94
  • I assumed the former, but I think it could be plausible either way, especially if one assumes that time passes much faster in the afterlife than on earth.
  • Podcast episode on the second season: https://www.theincomparable.com/theincomparable/393/

• NBC started doing official podcasts with some of their shows, and The Good Place was one of them. It's hosted by Marc Evan Jackson (Shawn) and the first guest was Michael Schur. Lots of really cool insight into the creation of the story and how the cast was picked. They even talked about Doug Forcett! I highly recommend it if you are even a moderate fan. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/chapter-one-mike-schur/id1388743215?i=1000412725451&mt=2
    MrXlengmo
  • Michael Schur in an email interview with Alan Sepinwall addresses whether S2E12(13?) is a simulation or real, among other things... He says he normally doesn't like to straight-up answer questions like this, but I guess he's not interested in leaving the situation ambiguous.

FlukesTravisMrXShumlengmo
  • I'm so confused....