The Good Place (NBC)

Comments

• edited November 2018
    This show continues to deliver. It has to be the most enjoyed show I am currently watching. It is weird that a show that is totally absurd can feel so homey and comfortable to me.

I may have to go back and pause to check out all of the gravestones. It is important for everyone to know the limits of scotch tape.
  • asmallcat said:

Edit - Also, the whole "You never talk about your dad" "what do you mean, I talk about donkey doug all the time" was one of the funniest lines in a show full of hilarious lines. 
    Cosign! That was an amazing joke.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    The crack about the how awful the library was since in the poetry section all it had was Jeff Foxworthy quotes had me in stitches. 
    Kate23Travis
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 2018
    "does anyone know snail first aid?"

"Yes ..I mean no."

A+ showing for Janet this episode. She has mad fighting skills. And a great guest role for Michael McKean.

I wonder if the next twist is going to be that no one has actually been getting into the good place because the "accounting" was rigged by Shawn or someone in the bad place.
    DummyFlukesTravisNoel
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    MrX said:

"Yes ..I mean no."

A+ showing for Janet this episode. She has mad fighting skills. And a great guest role for Michael McKean.

I wonder if the next twist is going to be that no one has actually been getting into the good place because the "accounting" was rigged by Shawn or someone in the bad place.
    That's what I thought too. How else would he be so sure he was going to get Doug Forcett?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to walk to Edmonton to donate $85 to a mollusk charity. I'll be back in about three weeks.
    MrXTravis
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I thought I was watching the opening to Lost's second season.

Turns out it was only about a mysteriously important person living in solitude while living like a hippy.

Oh, wait...

Travis
  • Flukes said:
    MrX said:

"Yes ..I mean no."

That's what I thought too. How else would he be so sure he was going to get Doug Forcett?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to walk to Edmonton to donate $85 to a mollusk charity. I'll be back in about three weeks.
    This is totally what I was thinking too, or what if there is no Good Place at all?
    Flukes
  • Travis said:
    Flukes said:
    MrX said:

"Yes ..I mean no."

This is totally what I was thinking too, or what if there is no Good Place at all?
    Technically if Doug Forcett knows the deal, he is in the same jam that the 4 main characters are in. He is not being good for goodness’s sake but to get points so he has corrupt motivations. (Although the 4 main characters are now being truly good so what does that mean?). 

I hope that there is some flaw or glitch or corruption they find though. So far the only real “evidence “ there is that there is a good place is that there is a Good Place Janet, and that is not totally convincing.  

Travis
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 2018
    Travis said:
    Flukes said:
    MrX said:

"Yes ..I mean no."

For sure I could see that being the case. Schur has to have something big for the end of the season, and it would raise all kinds of fun new philosophical questions if there is only a hell!

Related: If there is no good place or no one is in it, are we sure the medium place is real? It seems pretty real ... but who knows. I do hope we get to see Mindy St. Clair and Derek again soon. DEREK!
    TravisKate23
  • I thought I was watching the opening to Lost's second season.

Turns out it was only about a mysteriously important person living in solitude while living like a hippy.

Oh, wait...

They had the writer on for the official podcast and he said that the Lost S2 opener was the direct inspiration for that scene, so I think they'd be happy it's the first thing your mind went to.

Also the bar scene where Eleanor is telling Shawn that he'll never see Michael and Janet again, and then they walk in, that's an homage to a scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Highly recommend the podcast, they had the stunt/fight coordinator on this week - as with everything on the show they got the best of the best - he had coordinated fights in the Bourne franchise and a bunch of other stuff, and Janet's stunt double was Gal Gadot's double in Wonder Woman.

TravisFlukesMattyWeavesMarci
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I think The Good Place exists,* it's just virtually impossible to get into. And what kind of paradise would that be anyway? Who would be happy there, knowing that (statistically speaking) everyone they've ever known is being tortured for all eternity? It's a royally forked up system, and my hope is that Team Cockroach/Soul Squad is going to lead the revolution to revise the system -- kind of a twist on Paradise Lost.

*Evidence: Good Place Janets, Judge Gen, Mindy St. Claire, the demons discussing TGP among themselves. 

The podcast cleared up a question I had about religious people who believe in the afterlife. Merely believing in the afterlife, any other moral system (like various moral philosophies), or Doug's point system does not disqualify you from TGP; i.e., that's not same as moral desert. The problem with Doug is one of the criticisms of utilitarianism: that he was more concerned with maximizing the happiness of others while making himself a miserable recluse. Kind of an absurd version of an ascetic monk. I think the show is very emphatic about our connections to each other, and how that can make us better people and the world a better place. Doug does have some good intentions (unlike Tahani), but encouraging that little bully is probably making other people miserable. That kid could grow up to be a serial killer, who knows. But also, no one would admire Doug or be inspired by him or even want to be around him, so how much of a positive impact does he have on the world? Side note: I'm very worried about Doug's dogs being alone for three weeks. I hope someone feeds them.

I'm excited for the next episode. I wonder if the humans will get their memories of the reboots back, or if they will somehow get some Janet powers. I do wonder why Janet did not already know that Doug Forcett was not going to work out. And I'm very worried about the demons having their own portal to Earth. I also wondered if Michael deliberately shut up Shawn because he knew what he was going to say, but I don't know if that would track with Michael having good intentions now. Maybe it was to show that Michael is no longer afraid of Shawn, but I still think he was going to reveal something important.
    MattyWeavesmajjam0770FlukesjhparkMurderbearKate23MrX
  • Side note: I'm very worried about Doug's dogs being alone for three weeks. I hope someone feeds them.

Maybe they'll eat Raymond. Two problems solved!
    MarciFlukes
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    looks like it's this shows fault that the Jags suck.. again.

MrXFlukesTravisNoel
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited December 2018
    Forcett doesn't actually know The Good Place exists or how it operates right? He predicted it in an LSD trip, right?  He seems to be operating on a misguided, non-traditionally religious version of Pascal's Wager.

I think The Good Place exists,* it's just virtually impossible to get into. And what kind of paradise would that be anyway? Who would be happy there, knowing that (statistically speaking) everyone they've ever known is being tortured for all eternity? It's a royally forked up system, and my hope is that Team Cockroach/Soul Squad is going to lead the revolution to revise the system -- kind of a twist on Paradise Lost.

*Evidence: Good Place Janets, Judge Gen, Mindy St. Claire, the demons discussing TGP among themselves. 

The podcast cleared up a question I had about religious people who believe in the afterlife. Merely believing in the afterlife, any other moral system (like various moral philosophies), or Doug's point system does not disqualify you from TGP; i.e., that's not same as moral desert. The problem with Doug is one of the criticisms of utilitarianism: that he was more concerned with maximizing the happiness of others while making himself a miserable recluse. Kind of an absurd version of an ascetic monk. I think the show is very emphatic about our connections to each other, and how that can make us better people and the world a better place. Doug does have some good intentions (unlike Tahani), but encouraging that little bully is probably making other people miserable. That kid could grow up to be a serial killer, who knows. But also, no one would admire Doug or be inspired by him or even want to be around him, so how much of a positive impact does he have on the world? Side note: I'm very worried about Doug's dogs being alone for three weeks. I hope someone feeds them.

I'm excited for the next episode. I wonder if the humans will get their memories of the reboots back, or if they will somehow get some Janet powers. I do wonder why Janet did not already know that Doug Forcett was not going to work out. And I'm very worried about the demons having their own portal to Earth. I also wondered if Michael deliberately shut up Shawn because he knew what he was going to say, but I don't know if that would track with Michael having good intentions now. Maybe it was to show that Michael is no longer afraid of Shawn, but I still think he was going to reveal something important.

• MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Holy forking shirtballs.

I'm half convinced at this point Michael is going to become an Angel (or equivalent?) by the time this is all over, unless he already is and doesn't remember. He's clearly not bad anymore, and he's been redeeming himself just as much as the core four.
  • What a great episode the last one was. D'Arcy Carden playing everyone, Stephan Merchant as the head accountant, and we finally got to see the real Good Place (hopefully). I hate that NBC holds to traditions with the month long breaks. I mean, it's 2018 and Netflix drops an entire season the same day. Waiting is a curse and existence is a prison. 
    Marcimajjam0770Travis
  • Dummy said:
    What a great episode the last one was. D'Arcy Carden playing everyone, Stephan Merchant as the head accountant, and we finally got to see the real Good Place (hopefully). I hate that NBC holds to traditions with the month long breaks. I mean, it's 2018 and Netflix drops an entire season the same day. Waiting is a curse and existence is a prison. 
    The good news is that when it comes back it'll be back-to-back with Brooklyn Nine-Nine!
    DummyFlukesTravis
  • This episode was just bonkers amazing. D'Arcy Carden! 
    Kate23majjam0770FlukesTravis
  • D'Arcy needs to win some awards for that episode!
    FlukesTravisMarciLeahra821Noel
  • MrX said:
    D'Arcy needs to win some awards for that episode!
    Cosign! That was a goddamn amazing performance. 
  • This was a pretty funny moment at the Golden Globes that I wish I caught live

MrXBrieanneMarci
  • New episode Thursday!! 
    Flukes
    jhpark said:
    New episode Thursday!! 
    Awesome! It feels like it’s been forever!
  • lol we're all going to hell because the modern world is a terrible place and everything you do hurts someone somewhere. Sounds about right!
    Flukeshisdudeness915
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    I want to see Chidi try to come up with a new morality system for humanity and have a mental breakdown over the decision.
  • Graham said:
    I want to see Chidi try to come up with a new morality system for humanity and have a mental breakdown over the decision.

To paraphrase Ferris Bueller's Day Off: This where Chidi loses it
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    "Counterpoint: Humans are terrible. Limp Bizkit? Slavery? The prosecution rests."