The Good Place (NBC)

12346»

Comments

• Yep, it seems like a great call. I love when a show can go out on its own terms so the creators can wrap things in the way they want, rather than dragging it out too long or being abruptly cancelled without having time to properly end it. I will miss it a lot when it's gone, but I would rather miss it than see it go on for too long. I have full confidence in Mike Schur and the rest of the writers, so I bet they'll come up with something awesome and rewatches will be that much more satisfying.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 11
    I want to be reasonable about it, and ultimately it's wonderful that they are going to end it on their timeline and on their terms, but NO!!! No! No! No! This is terrible news. The Good Place is a top 3-5 show going right now and we need more of it! I hate you, Mike Schur! I hate you, you wonderful, amazing, glorious, greatest sitcom mind we've ever known. You beautiful genius, son of a bitch.

I'm positive this is the right call and it's so much better to go out where you feel like you should as opposed to just cranking them out to cash checks and keep the party going (particularly in the case of a show like the Good Place where so much of it's greatness rests on the intelligence of its scenario and serialized nature), but dammit. I hate this so much. Cash checks! Party on! 
    Teresa from ConcordMarci
  • edited June 11
    So many good to great shows are ruined and tainted in my mind for milking a show of every earning dollar. I am glad this won't be one of them even though I will be shouting MOTHER FORKING SHIRT BALLS when it is over.
    Teresa from ConcordMarciTravismajjam0770Flukes
  • edited June 22
    Hi A.Ron and Cecily! In response to your comments on the last BMTV --

They are ending the show at the end of season 4 (the upcoming season). Because Mike Schur listened to Damon Lindelof who said not to dawdle.

Janet gets a lot of action and/or development toward the end of season 3. I think it's worth watching if you've enjoyed Janet's arc so far.

Each season is about 3 mini-seasons. Every group of 3-4 episodes is an arc that is significantly different from the one before. If you didn't like the first 3 eps, you might like the next 3, etc. 

BUT, if you didn't like season 2 enough to keep going... hmm.... I'm not really sure Season 3 is different enough to make it worthwhile to stay on. I found a dip in the middle of season 2 but thought it was really strong in the end. Some people were bored by first part of season 3 because they're on Earth. I thought there were some great emotional beats in the middle and end of season 3 myself, but I thought the same of 2, (Michael's solution to the trolley problem, for one thing) so I'm not sure how to calibrate.

What say the rest of you? You should listen to the last 5-10 minutes of the Das Boot podcast to hear Aron's take on The Good Place through season 2. In short, he loved Season 1, was disappointed in 2, but still liked Janet's arc.

• lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    jhpark said:
    What say the rest of you?
    I think it's OK to wait to hear how well season 4 wraps up the show before deciding to watch past where they have.

Season one is the only one I would consider "required" viewing.  The other two seasons have had nice character moments and some good humor.
  • I am glad they are wrapping up after one more season.  Love the show but already some of the plots are retreading  familiar ground (eleanor and chidi in and out of love, rebooting everyone over and over) and I think some of the internal logic is not as solid as it was at first.  Like I don't see how the "experiment" set up for the last season really proves anything.  And for all the deep goals of the characters no one really asks big questions - like why is there all this setup to punish or reward humans for eternity in the afterlife? And why is everyone involved so clueless as to what is actually going on on earth?  

One more season to wrap things up will be a good ending for the show. It can stay kind of light and humorous and quirky,  and wrap up the story lines without overstaying its welcome. 

• jhpark said:

They are ending the show at the end of season 4 (the upcoming season). Because Mike Schur listened to Damon Lindelof who said not to dawdle.

Fuck you, Damon Lindelof. You amazing, Satan incarnate, genius, jerk. I can't stay mad at the dude who gave us The Leftovers, but dammit I'll try.
    Marci
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited June 24
    I watched the first two episodes of season three, and was immediately pleased. It felt almost like a soft reboot of season two. You can close your eyes and pretend that Michael is still a naively earnest "angel" working for the "Good Place", and it was funny and moving right along.

Season two just felt like it spun it's heels a lot trying to get back on the road they were on before the twist. I really liked the twist, but it felt like, to me, they didn't really quite know what to do with it and how it changed or didn't change the group's core dynamics. 

It's just five more hours of TV, I've come to far to bail, especially if there is a rich source of undiscovered Janet resources to mine.
    TravisCapeGabeMrXMarci
  • I watched the first two episodes of season three, and was immediately pleased. It felt almost like a soft reboot of season two. You can close your eyes and pretend that Michael is still a naively earnest "angel" working for the "Good Place", and it was funny and moving right along.

Season two just felt like it spun it's heels a lot trying to get back on the road they were on before the twist. I really liked the twist, but it felt like, to me, they didn't really quite know what to do with it and how it changed or didn't change the group's core dynamics. 

It's just five more hours of TV, I've come to far to bail, especially if there is a rich source of undiscovered Janet resources to mine.

I think you will find it worth your time to finish season 3 -  there are indeed many rich seams of Janet resources to mine (that sounds dirty) that you have yet to see. And they are ending it with season 4 so we are guaranteed to see whatever Schur has envisioned as an endgame without a bunch of bloated filler seasons - as mentioned he specifically sought out Damon Lindelof for advice on where Lost went astray in this respect.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 24
    Speaking of Janet, and Darcy Carden specifically, Her performance in Janet(s) is ridiculously awesome. I 100% believe that she deserves an Emmy nod for that episode.

Shit, did that already happen and she didn't get a nomination? If so, it's a total crime. I mean, we can nominate 3 spots from SNL and Darcy friggin Carden doesn't get a look for THAT season's performance? Ridiculous.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    MrX said:
    I think you will find it worth your time to finish season 3 -  there are indeed many rich seams of Janet resources to mine (that sounds dirty) that you have yet to see.
    "I'm not a mineshaft." - Janet, pleasantly.
    MrXTravisMarci
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    The end of Season 3 has one of the most amazing, heartbreaking scenes in recent memory. And the fact that it came from a 22 minute network comedy. I'd be really disappointed if you didn't get to experience it, Aron.  
    MrXMarci