Food You HATE..

Comments

• @Freddy I actually read that about cilantro, but it still bothers me. I feel like I'm missing out, ha.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 2017
    jtmy92 said:

I've tried so hard to like Sushi and just can't do it. For some reason the fish/seaweed combo just grosses me out.

Cosign.  I can't do raw fish, seaweed, any of it.  Nope.

For me, in addition to sushi, it's also liver & onions, tomatoes, cauliflower, eggplant (actually most squash), bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, brussel sprouts, coconut, and anything super spicy.  I also don't care for black coffee (even if you add cream and/or sugar).  It has to be a flavored coffee. And don't try to fool me with 'but it has flavored creamer'.  It's not the same.  :)
    jtmy92
  • Dummy said:

Steak. I don't see the appeal. 

BLASHPEMER!  Steak is the most delicious food on the planet next to chocolate and you are just wrong.   lol
    KingKobraDummyMurderbear
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    -Chinese eggplant
    -Taiwanese Oyster omelette
    -Stinky Tofu
    -There's this Chinese cold fish appetizer that almost like a cold BBQ jerky fish that is good but I hate it cause it has a million tiny bones in it and it makes it super annoying.

Michelle
  • cdrive said:

-Chinese eggplant
    -Taiwanese Oyster omelette
    -Stinky Tofu
    -There's this Chinese cold fish appetizer that almost like a cold BBQ jerky fish that is good but I hate it cause it has a million tiny bones in it and it makes it super annoying.

Oh, I forgot!  Tofu and oysters.  NO.

So. gross.
  • Sauerkraut. There's part of me that thinks a handful of people are just pretending to like it to troll the rest of us.

I think a small minority are pretending not to like it to troll the rest of us
    ... touché.
  • Mayonnaise and pretty much any other condiment except soy sauce, tbh. I've been like this since I was a kid and all my family and friends think I'm a weirdo for it. Don't let ketchup touch my fries, no I don't want mustard on my hot dog, ranch is disgusting, all of it makes me want to puke. I also don't do salad dressings outside of the most basic vinaigrettes. I'll eat dry lettuce first. 

Funny thing is, I feel a little better because I love almost everything else people are listing here (how do you hate sushi or avocado?!). Certain people can also hate broccoli based on genetics, I listened to a Surprisingly Awesome episode on why sometimes your kid really just *hates* broccoli.
  • I get the mayo thing. I love it personally, but I totally get it. It's kind of nasty if you think about it. One thing that I've been trying to do from a health standpoint that I actually like quite a bit is using avocado as a mayo replacement. There will always be times when it's just gotta be mayo with me, but I like that it's a little better for me and most of the time I don't really miss it.

Also, you're not alone. A guy I used to work with is totally the same way. No condiments on anything. His trip is that he just wants his food to be his food, and I respect that.
    ChinaskiTaraC73
  • @Travis That's exactly how I feel!! Back when I was eating beef, I felt like a good steak should not need any kind of steak sauce. Same for a truly good burger. I even prefer dry rub on BBQ. I just want my food to be good without that. 
    Travis
    Foods I used to hate:
    Raw onions, used to make me gag even if I smelled it after removed from a burger.
    Oysters, especially raw
    Brussels Sprouts
    Red Bean Paste, like in Chinese baked goods

Those were the big ones. Now I love 'em all.
    TravisChinaskiMichelledarwinfeeshy
  • @Travis That's exactly how I feel!! Back when I was eating beef, I felt like a good steak should not need any kind of steak sauce. Same for a truly good burger. I even prefer dry rub on BBQ. I just want my food to be good without that. 

I can dig that. I love condiments personally, but I can totally get where you're coming from. In a way, I kind of wish I didn't love condiments so much because I think there is certainly something to the train of thought (plus it's not like they're good for you or anything). 
    jazzminawa
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Travis said:

One thing that I've been trying to do from a health standpoint that I actually like quite a bit is using avocado as a mayo replacement.

funny, i do the same. esp with a turkey, lettuce and bacon sandwich.
    cdrive said:

Foods I used to hate:
    Raw onions, used to make me gag even if I smelled it after removed from a burger.

same. still not the biggest fan but if they're on a burger or sandwich i dont mind the flavor it leaves if i remove em. i still won't leave em on tho.
    Traviscdrive
  • @Chinaski Totally! That (minus the bacon because I'm trying to get away from pork, which is a bummer but reasons) is one of the go-tos for that. Great sandwich.
    Chinaski
    Following the "fish BBQ pieces with a million tiny bones"....
    I can't stand pomegranetes. Yeah it's good, but who wants to fuck with that? Also sunflower seeds in the shell where you have to spit out 97% of what you just shoved in your mouth. Can't do it. I'm only good for 1 crawfish sit-down each crawfish season, which is borderline sacrilege in TX-LA lower coast area but same reasoning applies. My quota is once a year.

• cdrive said:

I can't stand pomegranetes. Yeah it's good, but who wants to fuck with that? Also sunflower seeds in the shell where you have to spit out 97% of what you just shoved in your mouth. Can't do it. I'm only good for 1 crawfish sit-down each crawfish season, which is borderline sacrilege in TX-LA lower coast area but same reasoning applies. My quota is once a year.

I feel the same way about the blue crabs everyone loves here. I don't get it. Some food just isn't worth all the work to eat it.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i hear ya! i love me some lobster. i mean, lobster rolls.. c'mon! but i will never order in the shell at a restaurant. cracking it open, butter everywhere, sometimes bibs are involved. yeah no thanks, just an expensive mess.
  • Alkaid13 said:

Who orders pizza with no cheese? Isn't that just a flatbread at that point? I'd rather eat pizza with no sauce over pizza with no cheese.

Dude, haha when I first met my wife she was doing this non dairy diet thing and she was that person who'd ask if half the pie could have no cheese. Really cramped my style.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Reni said:

@Freddy I actually read that about cilantro, but it still bothers me. I feel like I'm missing out, ha.

You are missing out. God done fucked you good on this one.
    davemcbcdriveReniAww_PHuuCk
  • I will agree on oysters they can f right off, I tried them again recently but it just feels like i have a chest infection bit swallowed what i coughed up.

Also those in the US need to call things by their right names its not cilantro its coriander, i personally dont have an issue but flip flop on how much to use.

The fish with many bones gets me all the time Salmon is incredible but if the shop havent taken the bones out i always miss them.
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    Mayonnaise, seafood and Brussel sprouts are foul to me.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 2017

cdrive said:

And don't talk to me about "boneless wings." Those are just chicken nuggets, folks. 
    How dare you?! Breadless chicken nuggets they might be, but breadless chicken nuggets all sauced up and pan fried are delicious. This is a hill worth dying on.
  • I can eat a really good version of almost anything, but generally I don't enjoy chili, spaghetti, or pizza that much. The only things that I would actually refuse to eat if put in front of me are miso soup, edamame, and super spicy foods.
  • Coconut. Though I do like coconut milk in a curry.

Oh, also coconut water tastes like actual arsepiss.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited September 2017
    @akritenbrink  "...you basically just swallow it so what is the point?"

Exactly. Why bother eating something if you swallow it without tasting it? The slurp-and-swallow method of eating oysters is a myth. Does anyone really do that? You are supposed to chew the oyster 2-3 times before swallowing.

I think developing a taste for the different types of oysters is like developing a taste for wine. If you have access to good, fresh seafood, then there's nothing like ordering a few dozen oysters and sampling different ones that are bright, briny, minerally, sweet, or buttery. I would probably have a much different palate if I grew up the land-locked part of the US.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Onions and mayonnaise are disgusting. Tomato and olives are ok if they're a part of something like a salad or a sandwich. Everything else is cool with me.
  • I'm not a huge fan of the Pumpkin Everything trend that happens in the fall nowadays.

Ha! I am the pumpkin spice queen. Give me everything pumpkin spice! I actually made sweet potato bundt cake yesterday and it had a lot of cinnamon and ginger in it so it reminded me of pumpkin spice.