Wait wait wait a minute Winter has come before?

Hey A.Ron in book 1 remember it said that bran was 7 years old, and the summer had been 9 years already so with a little advanced math and precices calculations shouldn't actually Sansa, Jon , Theon, Rob, and whomever is older, even Joffrey should be old enough to have experienced last winter they might've been infants or young teenagers our children but there was a winter they had to endure and I think you said on the last podcast that none of the kids children John or anyone has been in winter but I think we are all little mistaken. Lets double check that for me if you wouldn't mind good sir love the show love to supportting you all good words and thanks from me to you but I think I did make a little mistake with the winter I would actually love to know who and how many winters each person has experienced I understand it's an infinity cast of statistics but you know a couple solid characters past could be cool (pun) to explore their winter survival

Comments

• Book Rob was around 15 so he would have been 6 at the END of the winter; you could argue that the end of a winter isn't nearly as harsh as being smack in the middle of it. Plus, how often do you remember climate patterns when you were 6 years old, especially if you live in a cold climate normally. The Stark children probably couldn't differentiate the last 6 years of Winter weather vs normal northern weather.
    Svornair
  • gguenot said:

Book Rob was around 15 so he would have been 6 at the END of the winter; you could argue that the end of a winter isn't nearly as harsh as being smack in the middle of it. Plus, how often do you remember climate patterns when you were 6 years old, especially if you live in a cold climate normally. The Stark children probably couldn't differentiate the last 6 years of Winter weather vs normal northern weather.

Well put well put thanks for clarifying some of Ages, it is to put into perspective with recollection of this winter but just to be the devils advocate I would say that ages 3 to 7 will definitely remember the dark cold days where no one went outside and they just huddled around together playing in the castle or maybe they were very hungry for a long time In the darkness not seeing the sun for so long but ultimately you're fucking right thanks for the comment
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited September 2017
    It's a good point that the 3-7 age range would remember an extreme level of inconvenience and misery due to the extreme cold. I didn't read the books or know the lore too well. It just made sense to me. If the long winter is 10 years long, idk if my explaination of the last 6 years being milder compared to the heart of it adds up
    Svornair
  • I decided to reply with that comment because I remember a huge power outage in San Diego when the Santa Anna fires came knocked out the grid (for our power) the whole sky was black with Ash for five days it looked kind of like dusk at all timest and we lit candles inside together it was very memorable just waiting to be told if we have to evacuate

Thanks everyone appreciate the positive feedback
  • If they were born/young st the tail end of winter, they may have more of a "spring"/winter really. Plus it seems it takes weeks/months/longer for the season to be "official". I would guess they have no memories of a harsh winter otherwise it would have come up in source material. Outside of that since seasons can last years, we aren't fully sure how long it's been since the last real winters end.
  • Being a book reader myself as well as an avid TV enthusiastic for the show I should slap myself for thinking the characters were so much older because of my visual experience from Game of Thrones compared to my literary experience with a song of ice and fire thanks guys appreciate it

I think a lot of us all wanted to think that big brother Rob was like 24-26 or some seasoned veteran but he's 15- 16 in the books.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited September 2017
    The seasons are all out whack, even to the point where you get mini-seasons within the larger ones, like summer snows as Catelyn notes in S1. The winters are harsher the farther north you go, but the reason this one is terrifying is because the White Walkers are bringing the Long Night -- it's not a normal winter. From the books, I can only think of happy memories that Jon has about winter -- typical childhood memories of snowball fights and pranking people by dumping buckets of snow on them. The saddest one is his last memory of Robb saying goodbye to him with snowflakes melting in his hair (which took place in summer).  :(

But certainly the privileged Stark children's experiences of winter are not comparable to those of disadvantaged people, like the farmer and his daughter that Sandor and the Brotherhood saw in the S7 premiere, for example.

In "Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things," Alliser mocked Jon for not knowing what true winter is because Jon grew up in the relative luxury of Winterfell, with its hot springs, heated interiors, and servants.

Do you boys even remember the last winter? How long has it been now? What, 10 years? I remember.
    Was it uncomfortable at Winterfell? Were there days when you just couldn't get warm, never mind how many fires your servants built? - Jon: I build my own fires.
    - That's admirable.
    I spent six months out there, beyond the Wall during the last winter.
    It was supposed to be a two-week mission.
    We heard a rumor Mance Rayder was planning to attack Eastwatch.
    So we went out to look for some of his men - capture them, gather some knowledge.
    The wildlings who fight for Mance Rayder are hard men.
    Harder than you'll ever be.
    They know their country better than we do.
    They knew there was a storm coming in.
    So they hid in their caves and waited for it to pass.
    And we got caught in the open.
    Wind so strong it yanked 100-foot trees straight from the ground, roots and all.
    If you took your gloves off to find your cock to have a piss, you lost a finger to the frost.
    And all in darkness.
    You don't know cold.
    Neither of you do.
    The horses died first.
    We didn't have enough to feed them, to keep them warm.
    Eating the horses was easy.
    But later when we started to fall That wasn't easy.
    We should have had a couple of boys like you along, shouldn't we? Soft, fat boys like you.
    We'd have lasted a fortnight on you and still had bones left over for soup.
    Soon we'll have new recruits and you lot will be passed along to the lord commander for assignment, and they will call you men of the Night's Watch, but you'd be fools to believe it.
    You're boys still.
    And come the winter you will die like flies.

gguenotSvornairMurderbear
  • Wait wait wait, does this mean Roberts Rebellion was during the winter? Kind of weird that's never been mentioned
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    So, the record isn't exact but you can get a good sense of the history here by clicking on the Climate tab:http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Westeros
    swimmythafish
  • I thought they said the previous winter had been mild and shorter than normal. I could be imagining that, but I seem to remember that being a part of the reason everyone was so lax about preparing for the coming winter and so quick to burn crops. 

If the last winter lasted a few years and wasn’t that severe it could be a reason they all consider the Stark kids to be summer children. 
  • @swimmythafish it was just a normal winter though, nothing to write home about. And all fighting was done in the south or riverlands i believe. I cannot stress enough that this upcoming or contemporary winter that the show is dealing with and has been anticipating is NOT a normal winter. The Long Night only comes once in a blue moon. That last one happened like one thousand years before the current events in the show.

MurderbearKingKobra
  • it's a common misconception that all GOT winters are a straight up apocalypse. That is not true whatsoever.
    MurderbeargguenotKingKobra
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Tom_A said:
    @swimmythafish it was just a normal winter though, nothing to write home about. And all fighting was done in the south or riverlands i believe. I cannot stress enough that this upcoming or contemporary winter that the show is dealing with and has been anticipating is NOT a normal winter. The Long Night only comes once in a blue moon. That last one happened like one thousand years before the current events in the show.

Only one (1) thousand?  I thought it was like eight (8) thousand?  Or have there been other "Long Night's" since the last time the White Walkers were seen?  Or were they seen more than just the one time?
  • Cory said:
    Tom_A said:
    @swimmythafish it was just a normal winter though, nothing to write home about. And all fighting was done in the south or riverlands i believe. I cannot stress enough that this upcoming or contemporary winter that the show is dealing with and has been anticipating is NOT a normal winter. The Long Night only comes once in a blue moon. That last one happened like one thousand years before the current events in the show.

Only one (1) thousand?  I thought it was like eight (8) thousand?  Or have there been other "Long Night's" since the last time the White Walkers were seen?  Or were they seen more than just the one time?
    The show has stated ~1k years since the last long winter I believe. 
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    The show is rather vague. Old Nan said it was "thousands and thousands of years ago," Jon and others mentioned it or the Night's Watch forming 8,000 years ago. Sam said that the White Walkers had been asleep for a thousand years, but honestly, I don't take anyone literally when they say "a thousand." "Build me a thousand ships." "We'll have a dynasty for a thousand years." I think "a thousand" just means a hella lot.  ;)
    KingKobragguenot
  • Cory said:
    Tom_A said:

yeah, could be more than a 1000 years, I'm not sure it really matters much other than to say that the Long Night is not a normal event that comes around often.