Sansa and Tyrion

Hey guys! Not a book reader but a big fan of your podcast, this is my first submission.

I've been thinking about all the people who are going to meet up at Winterfell this coming season, and also about the theory that Sansa and Tryion will end up hooking up by the end. While I do NOT think this will actually happen, I am curious to see what will happen when they meet again. Do you think they will take time to tie up the loose ends of their "sham" marriage, as Tyrion calls it, and maybe have Maester 'Not-Luwin' write up an official annulment, even if its just for emotional closure? Is their marriage legit at all? They never consummated, so does that put a shelf life on their physical marriage certificate (i.e. if you don't have sex 90 days after the wedding, your marriage will expire)? Or does Sansa's marriage to Ramsay, which was consummated, automatically cancel out her marriage to Tyrion? I really do not know the rules of marriage in this universe. 
This question is purely speculation over a detail that doesn't matter, but its just one of the thousand things that keep me up at night while I wait for season 8

Comments

• Ha! I can appreciate that. For what it's worth, I don't think they're going to make anything of it. I think they considered their "marriage" settled when she "married" Ramsey. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm a Tyrion/Sansa shipper, but when's the last time the show did anything I wanted?
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I didn't know Tyrion-Sansa shipping was a thing. For me, I wouldn't ship Sansa with anyone. Part of what I've liked about her arc is how she started off in love with Joffrey and had so much of her story shaped by interactions with horrible men (and Cersei) and how much she's grown into her own person because of it. Sansa is a stronger character on her own and I feel like having her fall in love would be steps backward for her. 
    Travis
    Frakkin T said:

I didn't know Tyrion-Sansa shipping was a thing. For me, I wouldn't ship Sansa with anyone. Part of what I've liked about her arc is how she started off in love with Joffrey and had so much of her story shaped by interactions with horrible men (and Cersei) and how much she's grown into her own person because of it. Sansa is a stronger character on her own and I feel like having her fall in love would be steps backward for her. 

Sansa has always wanted "love": white knights, romance, flowers, beauty. I think a more interesting arc than her no longer wanting love is realizing that her idealistic love doesn't matter as much as a man who respects you. I wrote that quickly and poorly, but basically she changes from wanting the facade of love to love itself.
    TravisweeniegirlRose
  • My wishes for Sansa are different for the book and show versions. Book Sansa has been used as a pawn by the Lannisters, the Tyrells, and Littlefinger to be betrothed to various suitors only because she is the only (believed) living heir to Eddard Stark and the key to the North. She wonders if anyone will ever love her for herself, and that breaks my heart.

Show Sansa seems to want power to make herself feel safe and secure, and she wants to be heard and listened to. While I didn't care for her falling for Littlefinger's Iago routine yet again in S7, I don't see Sansa aching to be loved, nor do I see do Show Tyrion proposing to renew their "sham" marriage within six episodes.

To the OP, the show hand waved the Tyrion and Sansa marriage (in the books, it would have to be annulled). I think Sansa will stay in the North if she survives S8, and if Tyrion survives, he will either be the Hand of whomever rules and/or the lord of Casterly Rock, much to Tywin's chagrin.
    Travis

My wishes for Sansa are different for the book and show versions. Book Sansa has been used as a pawn by the Lannisters, the Tyrells, and Littlefinger to be betrothed to various suitors only because she is the only (believed) living heir to Eddard Stark and the key to the North. She wonders if anyone will ever love her for herself, and that breaks my heart.

Show Sansa seems to want power to make herself feel safe and secure, and she wants to be heard and listened to. While I didn't care for her falling for Littlefinger's Iago routine yet again in S7, I don't see Sansa aching to be loved, nor do I see do Show Tyrion proposing to renew their "sham" marriage within six episodes.

To the OP, the show hand waved the Tyrion and Sansa marriage (in the books, it would have to be annulled). I think Sansa will stay in the North if she survives S8, and if Tyrion survives, he will either be the Hand of whomever rules and/or the lord of Casterly Rock, much to Tywin's chagrin.
    FWIW I don't see it happening either. Not nearly enough screentime.
    Travis
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited September 2017
    "Tyrion and Sansa, sittin' in a tree
    murder! murder! murder! please, bitch, please!" - DMX
    Travis
  • I'd say the Sansa-Tyrion marriage is viewed the way the Maegary-Renly marriage.  Maegary was deemed worthy for Joffrey and then Tommen because it was viewed that she never consummated the marriage to Renly.  Sure, it's different because Renly was dead but I think the big thing was the consummation part.  So, since Tyrion openly admits that the marriage was not consummated, then I think for all intent and purposes, the Tyrion-Sansa marriage was basically automatically annulled.
    Travis
  • I admit I am a shipper and hope they get together.  I think they have both grown in ways that would make them more mentally suited for each other.  And Sansa has to value how honorable and kind Tyrion was to her, and she has always been a sympathetic character to him.  ...But it is a bit tropey for a young beautiful girl to at first dismiss an older suitor who she finds unattractive but later ends up falling for him. 

But who the heck knows what will happen in this show -It would likely feel rushed, but Sansa and Tyrion have said nice things about each other to others so a bit of groundwork has been laid for this. And the show has rushed other things that are more on the ridiculous side so it is a possibility.  
    JaimieT
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Sansa is one of the women on this show that I do feel like in some ways it would make sense for her to end up married, and in a good marriage. She's always wanted the traditional things, and she seems OK with sharing her power with someone and playing her role as a noblewoman without necessarily having to be queen or the ultimate power. But I don't think it would make sense for her to end up with Tyrion. I would really want a good marriage for her that she can get something out of, either love or something that's meaningful and important and good for her. Someone was shipping her with Dickon on our famous "shipping" thread and I liked that, but now he's toast, and he was on the other side anyway. But someone like that- a young, handsome nobleman who will treat her respectfully and build a dynasty with her. I know GoT is not all about the happy endings, but with Sansa I am kind of hoping for one for her.