Apple podcast app replacement suggestions?

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
With the new ios 11 update, Apple has finally turned me off of their podcast app, possibly for good. Everything takes way more clicks, finding and downloading episodes in your feed is a giant pain in the ass. The app was okay before but I'm done with it.

I've considered switching apps but have been lazy about it because I have so many podcasts in my feed and it seems like a big pain to add them all over again. I have to do it though.

So, what other apps do you guys use?

Comments

• Downcast and Pocketcasts are my favorites but I gotta give the nod to Downcast because I’ve never had any technical issues with it while Pocketcasts has a tendency to just randomly stop updating feeds for some reason
    MurderbearElisa
  • Another vote for Downcast. I switched years ago when the stock iOS podcast app kept crashing and resetting whatever i was listening to back to the beginning. Have never had a problem or looked back.
    MurderbearElisa
  • I've been using Downcast for 3 years. Love it. Well worth the $$. 
    MurderbearElisa
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I used Downcast when I was on iOS and switched to Pocketcast when I moved to Android. As much as I love Pocketcasts, I'd be right back to Downcast if it was an option.
    MurderbearElisa
  • I use Overcast. Never had any issues with it, but I'm a pretty basic user. I don't compile podcast playlists or anything fancy like that, I just download and listen.

It's free, too.
    Murderbear
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Downcast, love it.
    MurderbearKingKobrahypergenesbElisa
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Well, I guess I'll have to give Downcast a go! Thanks for the feedback everybody!
    Elisa
  • Does downcast have the silence trimming?
  • I hate the new iOS podcast app too! I'm still too lazy to switch though. 
    Murderbear
  • I didn’t like that the previous iOS would stop updating podcasts if it thought you hadn’t listened to it in too long, without telling you what it was doing. I assume a few casts I listened to on a subject covered basis had faded away.

Now, I can’t tell which episodes I’ve listened to already, and it won’t play the next podcast automatically. Super excited to have to pause my workout to futz with my phone, Apple.
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @gjulleen Yeah, you have to do a long press and set things to "play next" or "play later." It took a few times of it playing nothing after an episode finished before I figured that out.

The app was already not the best but I had dealt with it and adapted. Now it's such a pain in the ass that its not worth the hassle.

@jazzminawa I know! Unfortunately you can't easily just export your podcasts like you can on any other app. I have 104 podcasts in my feed. I only am subscribed to 25 but I do listen to 90% of the other ones. (The others are dead but I keep around just in case they decide to put out another episode)

This update had to have been done by someone who does not listen to podcasts. There is no way you can tell me this is better.

Also, I know, getting fired up about a podcast app is about the least important thing a person can deal with in their life.
  •  Also, I know, getting fired up about a podcast app is about the least important thing a person can deal with in their life.

It's the little things in life that help us cope with the big things, so when the little things don't work they affect us more than feels appropriate.  After all, if you are using podcasts to help  you cope with the depression you suffer from losing a loved one (not my situation, just a for-instance), and the podcast app fails, you could respond a lot more severely than you would from just having an app not work.  

It isn't that your over-reacting to the app not working the way you want, it's a straw that turns out to have been a load bearing straw shifting on the camels back and causing massive facet-joint injury.

This isn't bugging me that much, I'm more mildly exasperated with the situation than angry or severely frustrated.
    jazzminawaMurderbearmjmullady
  • I'm with you, Murderbear. This shitty 'upgrade' has put me off Apple podcasts. I downloaded Overcast today for the iPhone 6. Friends on social media recommended it. I'm not yet sold. Like others, I have about 100 podcasts but only subscribe to about 10. I used the RSS style feature to look through the others & see if the subject matter interested me. That feature sorta exists now but not always is the 'more available' option shown, it seems. 

I'm pissed about having to download another app that sucks up space. I'm pissed about having to unsubscribe in the native app - which apparently means deleting the podcast in total, apparently. This could mean deleting old episodes I haven't gotten around to or being double subscribed on two apps. 

Marco, the Overcast creator noted on Twitter his downloads are WAY up due to people fleeing the native app.  
    ElisaMurderbear
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited September 27
    I just bought Downcast too, because the apple podcast app has been crashing like crazy since the update. I wish I had waited though because when I checked if there was an app for your desktop, there is one app store and it's an additional 8 bucks....

I work from home, so I listen to podcast's A LOT on my computer and having them syned with my phone is crucial. NOt only is the desktop app more money, the reviews of it are pretty bad. 

Well, I guess I'm out 3 bucks :P
    edited September 27
    Are there literally any podcast apps, other than apple's, that syncs between devices....???
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    And what's with the Control Center now? You get a tiny square with the play and 15 second buttons, and it's on the top half of the screen. You can hold your finger on it to make it bigger, but it's way too many steps.
    MurderbearFlashGordon
    The new changes to the podcast app make it just a frustrating mess, and it crashes at ALL the time. Maybe enough people will complain, considering how popular podcasts are nowadays, for them to do a redesign...

I have never been one of those disgruntled "my perfectly designed apple product is not good enough!" person  --  but yeah, I wish I could stick with IOS 10.

Murderbear
  • I can normally keep my first world problem rage in check, but I've just updated this week and I guess to echo the above, fuck IOS! the shortcut to audio on the control center routes back to music 90% of the time, even if a podcast is playing.

Time to transfer to Downcast 
  • iCatcher! is a very good podcast app.
    edited October 12
    Downcast doesn't sync with your computer - just FYI.

Yeah, it's still terrible, but I've found that thinning out my podcasts have helped the loading time and the crashing. I still have around 50 in my list, but it runs a lot smoother. 

@FlashGordon ;  
    FlashGordon
  • @aberry89 I work from a desktop, but am also a slave to a fitbit and have to get up to walk around regularly so podcast are pretty much exclusively on my phone.
     I'll trim my feed down before i move over, because yeh the crashing and loading times are pretty awful , thanks

• Pocketcasts is great. Syncs between devices, and between a web browser session too. All the features—silence trimming, etc.  Frequent updates to keep it working smooth and add features. 
  • I thought I was alone...I hate the new update. I tried to stick with it but they really ruined it. I like the continuous play. With the firehose feed I would just let the feed play until I was caught up for the week. I downloaded overcast and I added almost everything...hopefully it works out. I was a big user of the Apple podcast app. I hope they realize their mistake because it’s a hell of a mistake. 
    bennytube said:
    Pocketcasts is great. Syncs between devices, and between a web browser session too. All the features—silence trimming, etc.  Frequent updates to keep it working smooth and add features. 
    Does it sync between desktop computer and phone? I would prefer not to have to go to a website for streaming, is there an application you download on your computer?

@bennytube 
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Wonder if this has any negative effects on Bald Move or other networks. Is it harder to chart traffic, or get reviews in iTunes if people are using something else other than the native app on iOS?

Also noticed that search results now only give you 8 results. So you type in "Bald Move" and you only see 8 podcasts.

And if you're looking to see if a subject was ever covered in any podcast, the search results are limited to 8 results. For example if you want to see if someone ever had a podcast episode about Blade Runner - again, 8 results.
  • Downcast has been a really good experience for me over the years. Recently I've been using the playlist feature for my go-to shows, and it's nice to be able to search for keywords in episode descriptions. The whole app experience just looks and feels good. Sometimes searching for new podcasts is a little wonky, but it's not better in any other podcast apps I've tried.
  • Just switched to Downcast after getting fed up with ios 11, it has all the features of old Apple podcast app and then some. It blows my mind that it's hard to have an app that can play continuously through a feed.