Lucid Dreaming

Anyone else been able to accomplish this? Over the past 6 months or so I've been able to 3 times that I can remember. It's a pretty intense experience knowing your dreaming being able to control them. Does anyone have tips or tricks on accomplishing this on a more consistent basis as well?

Comments

• It happens to me most often when I've woken up, then immediately try to go back to sleep. I've read that keeping a dream journal, writing down everything you can remember right when you wake up, will help them happen more often. 

Here's a cool hint for while you're in the dream. If you want something to appear, like a fancy car or Scarlett Johansson, stare at a spot in front of you and concentrate on it, imagine it's there, then spin around in a circle. It doesn't always work but I've had good luck with it.  
    Hatorianjazzminawa
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I can’t make it happen, but it does happen quite a lot if you know what I mean!

I often get the sense of “oh, this is a dream so I can go and do this” etc. It’s super cool and it tends to happen to me if I fall asleep with the radio still on or something, perhaps the external noise keeps me in an in between state of sleep or something. Something I have noticed is that whatever I consciously decide to do whilst dreaming, I hardly ever get to accomplish it before waking up.
    Hatorian
  • During my teens and right up until my early 30's I experienced all kinds of sleep related issues...lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis being two of the most prevalent ones.

During lucid dreams, I wasn't always able to fully control my dreams but I was aware of the fact that I was dreaming and then could do things to influence what was happening. 

One time that I'll never forget...I was running from a dragon who was flying behind me breathing fire as I ran in panic, and I suddenly just said to myself "this is stupid, dragons aren't real", I stopped running, the dragon disappeared and then I was just 'floating' in darkness.  I didn't know what to do, but the floating made me feel disoriented so I thought of a rock and a bolder sized rock appeared and I sat on it and started to think about what I could do.  While I was trying to figure things out, an old-timey First Nations ("Native American") guy appeared.  He couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak whatever language he spoke.  It was clear that he was trying to explain something to me, but I couldn't figure out what.  Over the next few years I 'met' that same guy in my dreams probably 5 or 6 times.  We sort of became friends, but never really learned to speak to each other, but he'd often show me things.

Hatorian
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I've heard about this way back in the eighties. I had a friend who was in to it. He became a born again and then claimed it was the gateway for Satan. I've never accomplished full control but I've been in control some. I have never been able to do stuff like fly or whatever.
    Hatorian
  • edited September 25
    I've never been able to.

I rarely remember my dreams. The only time that I do remember dreams is when I wake up early in the morning and then fall back into a lighter sleep.
    Hatorian
  • edited September 26
    Sounds interesting.  I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that fears I'll do some kind of psychological damage by trying this, but it definitely sounds interesting! I remember a lot of my dreams.  A few days ago, I dreamed an ex-girlfriend was sitting on a couch at my grandma's house.  I didn't have "control" per se, but I do remember my dream self wondering what the fuck she was doing at my grandma's house.

Anybody have some instructional links that they've tried and/or know work?
    Hatorian
  • I found method 2 worked for me but more accidently. Like i didn't wake up on purpose. I just woke up and then fell back asleep and went into a dream from there. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Lucid-Dream

• Lucid Dreams are great, but it's super hard to stay asleep if I'm having one because I get so excited I tend to wake up pretty quickly. To have complete control of your surroundings is exhilarating. The thing I have the most trouble with is flying, I usually end up just jumping up and down, maybe a little higher each attempt, basically exactly like the scene in Man of Steel where he is learning to fly.
    HatorianFreddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited September 26
    EMAW42 said:

Lucid Dreams are great, but it's super hard to stay asleep if I'm having one because I get so excited I tend to wake up pretty quickly. To have complete control of your surroundings is exhilarating. The thing I have the most trouble with is flying, I usually end up just jumping up and down, maybe a little higher each attempt, basically exactly like the scene in Man of Steel where he is learning to fly.

Same here. I have never put effort into lucid dreaming, but it happens all the time. Always towards the end of the deep sleep cycle, and always wakes me up thinking "damn it, shit was just getting awesome."

For the longest time, the "oh shit... I'm dreaming" trigger was running into a dead relative. Usually my dad. I would start talking to them, and in the middle of the conversation I would realize it was a dream and say "wait a sec... you're dead; this isn't real." At that point their facial expression would warp into a look of horror, as if they didn't know they were dead and I was the one to drop the news, and then I would take off and do whatever I wanted to. Almost always involves trying to fly.
  • Funny most people go with flying. Not going to go into detail but mine are definitely more Hard R rated. Haha
  • I gave it a go last night, but no luck.  It's difficult repeating a montra like "I will know this is a dream" over and over before sleep.  It creates nervous energy and makes me want to keep my eyes open.  When I did finally dream, I was at a Hollywood party where Philip Seymour Hoffman was playing Varys and Quentin Tarantino had a successful series of lawn care and gardening books.  There were glasses of tea being served and the cups had Quentin's face on it.  I asked him if he made the tea and then I woke up. =/ 

I immediately recognize the absurdity mid-dreams, but I'm not lucid.  I think I can get to the "wait a minute, this isn't right" stage, but realizing it's a dream and becoming active will take some work.
  • aberry89aberry89 California

During my teens and right up until my early 30's I experienced all kinds of sleep related issues...lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis being two of the most prevalent ones.

During lucid dreams, I wasn't always able to fully control my dreams but I was aware of the fact that I was dreaming and then could do things to influence what was happening. 

One time that I'll never forget...I was running from a dragon who was flying behind me breathing fire as I ran in panic, and I suddenly just said to myself "this is stupid, dragons aren't real", I stopped running, the dragon disappeared and then I was just 'floating' in darkness.  I didn't know what to do, but the floating made me feel disoriented so I thought of a rock and a bolder sized rock appeared and I sat on it and started to think about what I could do.  While I was trying to figure things out, an old-timey First Nations ("Native American") guy appeared.  He couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak whatever language he spoke.  It was clear that he was trying to explain something to me, but I couldn't figure out what.  Over the next few years I 'met' that same guy in my dreams probably 5 or 6 times.  We sort of became friends, but never really learned to speak to each other, but he'd often show me things.

Dude that's awesome! Did you keep a journal of the things he showed you? I would, and look up their meanings - in some native American cultures dreaming, or "altered states" were very spiritual and symbolic. Although usually, I think it was an animal that would reveal itself to you, not a person  (And this may just be one nation that practiced this, I am lumping ALL these people and their practices together)

You may have a spirit guide bro ;)

• CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited September 29
    aberry89 said:

During my teens and right up until my early 30's I experienced all kinds of sleep related issues...lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis being two of the most prevalent ones.

Dude that's awesome! Did you keep a journal of the things he showed you? I would, and look up their meanings - in some native American cultures dreaming, or "altered states" were very spiritual and symbolic. Although usually, I think it was an animal that would reveal itself to you, not a person  (And this may just be one nation that practiced this, I am lumping ALL these people and their practices together)

You may have a spirit guide bro ;)

I's been at least 10, if not 15 years since I last saw him in my dreams, so if he was my spirit guide he's abandoned me!

My most vivid memory of things that he showed me was him showing me what my neighbourhood looked like before it was settled.  It was like I was back in time, standing behind where my parent's house was but there was no development at all - it was just trees and grass land in every direction.  When I was a kid, a creek ran behind my parent's house, it was about 5 or 6 feet wide - too wide to jump across, except for this one spot where there was a huge rock in the middle of the creek.  That rock made it possible to jump from one bank, on to the rock, then across to the bank on the far side.  When I was 'back in time' the rock was there, but it wasn't in the middle of the creek.  The creek was only about 1 foot wide and the rock was on solid ground 2 feet or so away from the creek.  I realized that over time, the creek widened - eventually to the point where that rock was in the middle of a much wider creek.

That's one the clear memory that I have of my time with the shaman...not exactly earth shattering revelations...more like basic geography :)

Hatorian
  • What a terrific topic! I've never actually talked to anyone else who has done this. I've been able to have lucid dreams for several years. At first they were complete accidents, where I would realize I was dreaming and almost immediately wake up from excitement. I gradually became able to stay more calm when I thought I might be dreaming, and trying to fly was always the test. If something was scaring me, or felt too weird, I would see if I could hover off the ground, and if I could, I would feel safe. Then it grew to the ability to control my surroundings to a degree, which was scary but also really cool. It only occurs if I wake up in the morning and go back to sleep, or if I take a nap during the afternoon. That has made me wonder if it has something to do with not falling deeply into a REM cycle, but I'm definitely not a sleep expert, so I have no clue. I have researched a little about the connection between lucid dreaming and astral projection, which I'm not sure I believe in, but still find compelling. One of my last lucid dreams was weirder than normal. My husband had to leave very early for work, so he left the house while I was still in bed. I woke up when he did, so I fell back asleep after he left the house and almost immediately fell into a lucid dream. I floated through my house into one of our spare rooms, and then heard the door open as if my husband had returned home. I froze (in my dream still) and then he walked into the hallway. He recoiled as if he saw me, and then looked around confused, as if he didn't see anything anymore. It really frightened me and I woke up. Later, it was still bothering me so much that I asked my husband if he forgot something and came back home after he left for work, because I thought I actually might have astral projected. False alarm :-) But it was jarring. Such a fascinating thing.
  • When I was young (maybe 2nd grade and younger?) I used to have nightmares pretty regularly.  One night, though, I must have been aware enough to realize it was a dream and I distinctly remember that I realized it was a dream and shifted my perspective on the dream to where it was just a movie being watched--a film being projected onscreen, and then I dreamed that I turned the projector off and the nightmare stopped.  In the (many) years since I have had very few true nightmares, although I often dream about losing or being unable to find things or people that I'm looking for.  I may have lucid dreamt a few more times in my life--and I wish I could do it regularly--but I guess just knowing that it can be done has mostly staved off nightmares.
  • I cant control when I get them, but they are pretty intense.  Sometimes I have deep crossovers too, where I realize I'm dreaming and can control it, but then question the reality of that realization.  I'll fall asleep in a normal dream, wake up in a different dream that is lucid, but then somehow convince myself that its real.  when I finally wake up for real I have a slight moment of confusion, realize whats happened and then I'm usually able to fall back asleep and get back into the dream again.  I also occasionally get sleep paralysis, which use to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid, but now I understand it a little more so I dont get as freaked out when it happens.   
  • Does anyone use binaural beats to help this stuff?

I listened to a binaural beats once and felt like I was smacked off my tits
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Closest I’ve ever gotten to this is vivid dreams... when I take flexeril at bedtime, I often have dreams that feel so real (I know this happens to a lot of people and it has happened to me other times when I don’t take the meds but when I take them it’s like 10,000 times more vivid!) super weird.

I think if I ever controlled a dream I would be scared! Like whoa, holy shit!!
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    Doxycycline does crazy things to your dreams similar to this.  If you drink Onnit's Alpha Brain before bed you will have lucid dreams more than likely too.