Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

Has anyone checked this out yet? It's an anthology series based on PKD's works, the first two episodes are out and I really enjoyed them. Kind of like Black Mirror, but in the Blade Runner universe. I especially like how open-ended and up to interpretation they are, the second ep even more so than the first. Still trying to come to grips with what just happened there. They're like actual dreams, I think; nothing spoonfed to the audience, just a basic story which you get to color they way you like. I guess this could turn off many viewers, but it's what I really like about it.
What do you guys think about it?

Comments

• For some reason I thought this was premiering on Amazon now but I guess I have to wait?
  • edited September 26
    Oh yeah, somehow my brain completely disconnected from the fact that this is a British show and so might not readily be available in the US. The wiki page just says it will be on Amazon, but no date. Well, might just have to bump the thread in the future when/if more viewers catch on if there aren't any now.
  • Def. The cast and directors are pretty damn good. I'm looking forward to it whenever I can watch.
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited September 26
    Yes, this airs in the UK through end of November. So best guess is that we'll get it on Amazon U.S. in Nov or Dec. 

I've seen the first two that have aired in the U.K. and would give them both a "solid B" rating. The execution is all quality - acting, production, sound, etc. Each ep, a la Black Mirror, is a closed story, so each will definitely have a YMMV quality to it. I enjoyed both of these quite a bit. 
    Jovial_Falcon
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited September 26
    Oh yeah, I'm going to be all over this ASAP. I've read a few PKD books in my youth. I'll get back to you. Hey, the love of my life Ronald D. Moore wrote an episode!
    Just watched the first two.

1. The first episode was terrible, IMHO. Man, I was hanging on for dear life. It's as if any change they made to the plot would have resulted in something more interesting.

2. The second episode was a great improvement and I really enjoyed it. 
  • @JaimieT Ha, that's funny, I liked the first one slightly better. What is it you disliked so much about it?
    edited September 27
    Reni said:

@JaimieT Ha, that's funny, I liked the first one slightly better. What is it you disliked so much about it?

Okay, I'm going to say all of this, but let me preface by saying when I say something confused me, that doesn't mean I want answers. I can make up my own answers. I wanted the show to not confuse me to begin with.

1. The ending, hinging on whether or not she trusted him... I didn't even understand what the stakes were. The burning... he didn't even seem to be trapped. I thought she'd walked into a refrigerator or something, but then she's outside. It was contrived to take place between a door. Dumb.

2. How she was betraying the other telepaths was vague. You think at some point someone would try to reason her out of it. Would have been nice for us to see that. Free exposition, easy conflict, that's a writing no-brainer.

3. I didn't understand how they felt about their abilities. They seemed to value it. But it looked like hell. At one point, one of them was saying "Don't hurt me" in her sleep, making all of the others say it, and like, what the fuck was that? How do any of them sleep? She can read minds over miles, as shown in one scene, so the abnormality would be a quiet night. Also they would be nearly omniscient. Why the fuck are they in warehouse? Blackmail, people. 

4. They had this concept sitting right in their hand where the telepaths should be forced to wear the hoods, and some would probably prefer that? BECAUSE THEN THEY CAN SLEEP PEACEFULLY.

5. The doctor wanted to democratize the hood technology, but he went about it in the stupidest possible way. Handing them out randomly? In itsy-bitsy-tiny numbers? Not explaining what they did? And then when the cops show up, not only does he not run away, he monologues. Doy.

6. I would have appreciated 1-2 sentences from the main character describing why she wanted to help the police. If I missed that, well, I was fucking paying full attention (put away my phone and everything!), so. 

7. The glimpse into her childhood was cool. Literally anything else on that front would have been amazing. How did she get where she is now? How did that work?

8. WTF on the cop evolving a way of blocking her. Did he train for that? If so, bad work on the part of the telepaths. That's the first thing you scan someone's mind for... knowledge of THAT program. Even the least paranoid among us humans would be all over that. And ditto if he evolved it. You also scan for knowledge of people that have that trait (like the lady cop). I know our protagonist made a point of not scanning cops (though why is never explained, see #5) but the other telepaths would do it. In fact, I'm surprised no one was scanning him just to spite her. You don't like what she's doing, don't intimidate her... go after her boy-toy. Remind her that she's dallying with people who are beneath her.

9. The final scene with the telepaths was really fucking weird. Again, the entire show seems to indicate these telepaths are unorganized and lazy (which I'm fine with) but it climaxes in them being the opposite, with no explanation as to what prompted this arc/change.

I don't like shitting on someone else's enjoyment of something, so if you liked it, great. It definitely had interesting ideas. 

Also I should mention, any of these on their own aren't show-breaking for me. It's just when they become excessive. The 2nd episode had a few WTF things, but it was just a few, so I don't care.
    Reni
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited September 27
    The premise of the first episode had enormous potential - and based on the idea/concept alone, I was intrigued. These kinds of stories get my mind going in a lot of directions, and even if the execution doesn't satisfy me, I enjoyed where it took my mind. I also like the production design quite a bit. Reminded me of Gattaca. But I have to agree @JaimieT, there were a lot of execution gaps/blunders in how this story was told. Now I have to go read the source story, because I bet it solves a lot the problems that were in the show. Does anyone know what the source story is for "The Hood Maker"?

Edit: Nevermind. I looked it up. It's based on an 18-page short story of the same name. Haven't figured out which story collection it appears in now. 
    JaimieTReni
  • @JaimieT I think I'm with @hypergenesb that I enjoy the ideas and where it takes my mind more than the actual execution. My opinion is that every short form of art is like this, whether that be short films, short stories or poems. They're about feeling and ideas rather than a tightly and flawlessly executed story. I love Black Mirror too and have gotten many into an argument with a friend who won't stop pointing out plot holes and "mistakes". I just don't care. Now if the stories, this or any other, are told through an entire season, then I expect it to answer things and elaborate on them, but if they're just an episode, it really doesn't bother me.
    Btw @hypergenesb Did you check out the original story? How was it?
  • @Reni - I downloaded it yesterday. Going to read this weekend. 
    Reni
    Reni said:

@JaimieT I think I'm with @hypergenesb that I enjoy the ideas and where it takes my mind more than the actual execution. My opinion is that every short form of art is like this, whether that be short films, short stories or poems. They're about feeling and ideas rather than a tightly and flawlessly executed story. I love Black Mirror too and have gotten many into an argument with a friend who won't stop pointing out plot holes and "mistakes". I just don't care. Now if the stories, this or any other, are told through an entire season, then I expect it to answer things and elaborate on them, but if they're just an episode, it really doesn't bother me.
    Btw @hypergenesb Did you check out the original story? How was it?

Come on, I'm sure you've encountered short form stories that didn't work for you.
  • JaimieT said:

Come on, I'm sure you've encountered short form stories that didn't work for you.

Ones that I didn't personally enjoy? Sure. But even if it's bad, I usually find some aspect of it that I like, and I liked The Hood Maker even if it had stupid parts in it.
    JaimieT
    Reni said:

JaimieT said:

Ones that I didn't personally enjoy? Sure. But even if it's bad, I usually find some aspect of it that I like, and I liked The Hood Maker even if it had stupid parts in it.
    Okay, that makes sense.

• Episode 3, "The Commuter," reminded me of The Twilight Zone. Definitely the strongest ep of the series thus far.  
    Reni
  • I loved it too, my favorite so far. Some really heavy stuff in it. We all tend to think that if something about our lives was different, everything would be much better. And maybe it would be, objectively, but still it wouldn't make us happy.
    I was kind of expecting it to have the classic ending, where there would be some price to pay if he wanted his son back. Then I was expecting some kind of horrible twist ending. But nope. I'm going to have to learn not to expect those kinds of things with this show. That the only certainty of the endings is that I'm going to be sitting there, wondering.
    hypergenesb
  • Any thoughts on 1.04 "Crazy Diamond" with Steve Buscemi and Sidse Babett? This was my favorite thus far, running a very close second to 1.03. I like it because it was idealogically less explicit, and stylistically lush. 
  • I liked it, but not nearly as much as The Commuter. I mean... I could've used a bit more handholding when it came to worldbuilding, I had about a million questions and feel like zero of those got answered. I know, I know, the story made perfect sense without it - Jill as a kind of femme fatale figure, the temptation of Ed, etc. It was captivating and well executed, but I would have preferred some info about how that world works. Just a little bit!
    I am not sure when the original short story for this was written, but the whole Double Indemnity thing (I mean the Billy Wilder movie) can't be a coincidence.
    Does anyone think the weird QC buyer guy was a telepath as in The Hood Maker, or was it just coincidence that he had similar marks around his eyes?
    Also: isn't it weird that apart from the first episode, one of the main characters is always called Ed? What the hell's up with that?! (Betcha Agent Ross' full name is Ed Ross, too.)
    hypergenesb