Looking for new music

Hey y'all

Ever since I finished high school I've kinda fallen out of the music crowd mostly because of listening to audio books and podcasts while going to college. I want to get into some new music but I've been out of the game so long I don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend some bands? Here is a list of artists that I enjoy.

Deep purple

Led Zeppelin

Heart

The Beatles

Steppenwolf

CCR

That kind of stuff

Comments

• Aside from being a really big Beatles fan, and casually enjoying most of the rest of those bands this may represent a bit of a blindspot for me as far as recommendations. That said, a couple of things came to mind that may or may not work. Sorry if I whiffed, but if you would like,  here are 3 things to sample and if you want depending on which ones you may or may not like I can toss out plenty more. Hope it's helpful.

Dr. Dog - My Friend

Built to Spill - Stop the Show

Herzog - Henchmen

...and hell, it's such a great tune I'll drop this Wilco number in as well:
    Wilco - Jesus, Etc.

CretanBullChinaski

• FJM is king
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 26
    @Tom_A Is he still with Fleet Foxes, or is he just doing his own thing now? You're right. He is really great.

EDIT: Nevermind. I got curious and answered my own question. He stopped playing with them in 2012.
  • edited September 26
    So are you looking for great albums that came out while you weren't into music? Or do you want music that came out in the last year or two? or all of the 2000's? I'm confused because the bands that you're into are all very old.
  • Yeah I'm with @darwinfeeshy in not really knowing what you're asking, do you mean new as in recent or just something that may be new to you? 

Just by context of the other stuff you like John Denver instantly comes to mind but that's clearly not new. 
  • So are you looking for great albums that came out while you weren't into music? Or do you want music that came out in the last year or two? or all of the 2000's? I'm confused because the bands that you're into are all very old.

Apologies, I know it's a vague question. I'm really open to all of the 2000's, just trying to see whats out there. I like these older bands because it was mostly what my parents listened to and they kinda stuck with me, never really ventured out for more recent stuff.
    darwinfeeshyTravis
  • BTW thanks everyone for your suggestions so far, I've been digging what I've heard so far!
    Travis
  • Here's some stuff you might like:

Mastodon (hard/psychedelic rock)

The Dear Hunter (Rock Opera)

Metric (Synth rock)

MGMT (psychedelic pop)

Traviskingbee67Daniel
  • My favorite current singer has to be Lana Del Rey. She has a truly amazing and unique voice in these dark auto-tune times, and I love her lyrics and style just as much. To me she's basically that ultra cool chick in school that everyone adores so you really want to hate her but can't because you love her even more despite yourself.

I normally don't care for those music video 'movies' much with the stuff pre and post song but I love hers, try to give the whole thing a shot, but if you wanna skip it it starts at 3:30:

Here's a few other songs I really like, but I really like almost everything she's done except for one album and most of the collaboration tracks from her most recent one. 

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    There are some threads that might help- "Make a Musical Noise Here" and "Best Albums of All Time."
    Chinaski
  • So...

I've never really gotten into any female singer / songwriters (at least, early on in my life). Whatever that says about me, it's true. However,  a number of years ago, I heard a song on NPR from a female vocalist and just had to find out who it was. I e-mailed a few people at my local station and finally got a response. It was "Lissie". She's a female singer/songwriter who dabbles in folk, classic rock, blues, country, etc. I challenge you to not fall in love with her music. Here's just a quick sample.

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    you might dig some My Morning Jacket based off the artists you listed.

and never a dull suggestion with good ole @Travis suggesting Built to Spill (Keep It Like a Secret is dope too) and Wilco..
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 27
    you might dig some My Morning Jacket based off the artists you listed.

and never a dull suggestion with good ole @Travis suggesting Built to Spill (Keep It Like a Secret is dope too) and Wilco..
    Thanks @Chinaski, and right back at you with the MMJ. That could be a very good fit. Really good band.
    Also, don't know if anyone saw this, but since it's germane to MMJ and I thought it was pretty cool here's Nick Offerman and Jim James covering Dylan's Masters of War at the Newport Folk Festival.