Top 3 Most Hated TV Characters

I know everyone has a few TV characters who make their blood boil.  I thought it would be cathartic to list them here and why you hate them so.

1. Lori Grimes - Do I really have to explain?  Can't make up her mind, manipulative, unconcerned with the whereabouts of her child at most times, disregards the safety of the group for selfish reasons and can't drive down a straight road without flipping her car.
  2. Jean Ralphio Saperstein - Tom's business partner in Parks and Recreation.  I can't stand this guy's personality.  I know he's meant to be an obnoxious character so kudos to the actor and writers for making him so hateable.
  3. Laura Roslin - The remake of Battlestar Galactica.  Another character who is meant to be hated for a good chunk of the show.  I hate her when her plans don't work out and somehow even more when they do.  I think it's because she was so sure of something that was so crazy without any real reason to be so sure.
Travis

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Jean Ralphio! I am side eyeing you so hard, Jim.
    hypergenesbA_Ron_HubbardTravis
  • Betty Draper
    Dany Targaryen
    And that God awful Flo from Progressive. She makes me want to throw my tv out the window.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Jessa from Girls
    Marnie from Girls
    Hannah from Girls
    steph_bFrakkin Thypergenesbghm3A_Ron_HubbardTaraC73Judd Blesleyj42
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    edited March 2015
    Rickety Cricket - Always Sunny. Priest turned crack addicted bum. Deserved everything he got, but sadly it only made him more annoying.

Jerry - Parks & Rec. Because he's Jerry. (love the actor though, he's a giant among men)

Father Gabriel - The only thing he added to the story line was a location. He's absolutely useless. He's either crying or looks like he's about to burst into tears every damn second of screen time. He can't be trusted and he needs to die in a freak gardening accident. Literally no-one would miss him. Everyone would just kinda shrug and go about their day. I'm pretty sure no-one would even bother burying his sorry ass. They'd just kick his carcass into a ditch to clear the road.
  • If I sit down and really think about it, I can come up with my own strong top 10, but off the top of my head:

First, honorable mention to King Joff.

Ralphie Ciffaretto from The Sopranos - probably the king sociopaths of all the sociopaths on this show.

Robbie Pratt from Season 4 of Shameless - this is the recovering addict brother of Fiona's boyfriend. He's just another manipulative douche who I just want to reach right through the screen and strangle.

Monica Talbot from House of Lies - In a show that has a cast of characters full of assholes, she is the queen of these assholes.
    FlashGordon
  • Ralphie is a good call. Just for the stripper deal alone though there were plenty more sadistic incidents than that. A true psychopath.
    AntManBee
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited March 2015
    1. Frank on Shameless - I find his constant, transparent manipulation tiresome and loathsome. 
    2. Janet Janice on Sopranos - I find her constant, transparent manipulation tiresome and loathsome. 
    3. Betty on Mad Men - I find her constant, transparent manipulation tiresome and loathsome. 
    Yeah, these kinds of characters drive me nuts. 
    steph_bFlashGordonTravisSpookycat4
  • Alan Harper from Two and A Half Men - I couldn't stand watching more than a few episodes of this show almost solely because of this character, I detest everything about him. He's such an effective vile piece of shit that I can derive absolutely no humor from him and he just puts me in a bitter mood.

The entire cast of Scandal - I hate-watched the first season or so of this show before not even enjoying hating it anymore and finally abandoning it. Seriously every character on that show is a complete piece of shit, the fact that this show is so popular only feeds my misanthropy. They should end the show with Canada invading DC and burning down the White House again with all of the characters in it. 

Laurie Garvey from The Leftovers - Shouldn't need an explanation, but yeah, insanely selfish bitch.

@Dee I don't watch Girls but from what I have seen/do know about it I have no doubt I'd hate every character in that show too.
    TravisA_Ron_Hubbard
  • @hypergenesb Did you mean Janice Soprano? I'm pretty sure you did. Just wanted to make sure. Otherwise, I totally agree.
    hypergenesb
  • @AntManBee that's right, Janice. I must have hated so much I forgot her stupid name. 
    AntManBeesteph_b
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Jesus. Roslin isn't even the most annoying on that show.

Apollo is much worse. "I'm an awesome fighter pilot, and the human race is on the edge of extinction, but what I really want to do is practice law. Better yet, I think I'll be one of the ridiculously high number of politicians in our tiny society". And later "hey, we found an awesome planet, but Dad, you know what would make it even more awesome.? Let's jettison all our useful stuff into space!"

Honestly, I hated almost every major character on that show by the end, but Lee takes the prize.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

I love this topic and I'm really enjoying seeing people's takes. I'm going to let this stew in my mind for a spell (I'm just feeling a little blocked) at the moment, but one character from a show that I currently watch is a lock and I'll just go ahead and toss her name in the ring now:

Laurel Lance (Arrow) - I just can't stand her amazing cocktail of uselessness, stubbornness, and overly confident nature that inevitably puts everyone in danger (and has happened enough times to where it really creates the feel of incredibly lazy writing on a show that I fundamentally like quite a bit). Also speaking of lazy writing, that whole alcoholism thing was too "from out in left field" and it all just came on too fast as it was just really lame. You take a character who casually drank but was never even remotely drunk before and turn them into a totally self destructive alcoholic (look, I get it her sister died, but is she an addict or did the writers take a traumatic happening and implant a trait that would create some drama and be useful for them moving forward). That show is really great with most of it's characters, but she is the worst!

ghm3
  • Janice and Tony's mom was pretty wretched too. But I loved to hate her. That actress was fantastic.
    AntManBee
  • @Travis omg yeah I don't watch Arrow anymore but I always hated her character, I can still acutely recall her whiny needy high school demeanor. 
    Travis
  • @ghm3 when did you stop watching? I imagine she's become much, much worse since you have stopped. Season 3 has added a whole new dimension of obnoxiousness to her character.

• @Travis Late second season I think. Maybe I have a blood lust or something but I couldn't stand how he stopped killing people in season 2 he knew were evil and would kill other innocent people later, and the silly implausible crap just kept building until I just couldn't take it anymore and bailed.
    Travis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Hard to argue with Joffery, Betty, Lori, and President Rosalyn.  I'll add Miss O'Brien from Downton Abbey to the mix, as she's just pure malice and evil, and I'd like to add Thomas to that mix, although is backstory is just tragic enough to make me overlook it.  Nazi Poster Boy Todd from Breaking Bad.  What a creepy fucking nightmare psychopath.  And Stan from The Americans, because I've never actually wondered if a cup of processed tapioca pudding could play a lead role in a major american dramatic series, but now I know the answer to this question. Ooh!  Now I'm on a role, and I'm adding some testicle to the bonfire of the ovaries we tend to get going.  Feekus from Season Five and Six of Justified!  Christ, what a dickhole.  Hood's fake son on Banshee.  This fucking guy. Fake Lucas should have buried him out in the woods with his not-fake dad.  Every character Evan Peters has ever played on American Horror Story.  Or as Evan would say, EVERY CHARACTER I HAVE EVER PLAYED ON AMERICAN HORROR STORRRRYYYY!!!  He's terrible.  His most convincing character was a brain dead frankenstein who couldn't complete whole sentences.  Eugene on The Walking Dead.  PETE CAMPBELL on Mad Men.  I know people love him, I just love seeing him fail and get punched in the face.  If he ends up with Peggy this final season I'm burning down the Bald Move studios (don't tell Jim). Ramsey Bolton from Game of Thrones.  I can't even talk about him less I end up spoiling something for somebody regarding his future fate, but, ugh.  The only thing that could make me like him would be locking him in a room with Joffery.  Janos Slynt.  How many fucking Starks do you think you can top it the lord and get away with it, anyway?  Lord of Harranhall, pssshhh, fuck you.

Okay, I feel much better now.  
    ghm3steph_bTravisAntManBeeJudd BSpookycat4
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Oh man, you just reminded me of Pete Campbell on Angel. What a terrible idea that whole thing was.
  • edited March 2015
    This thread deserves a mascot:

Give in to your anger.
    TravisTaraC73A_Ron_HubbardhypergenesbMichaeltrippySpookycat4
  • edited March 2015

Hard to argue with Joffery, Betty, Lori, and President Rosalyn.  I'll add Miss O'Brien from Downton Abbey to the mix, as she's just pure malice and evil, and I'd like to add Thomas to that mix, although is backstory is just tragic enough to make me overlook it.  Nazi Poster Boy Todd from Breaking Bad.  What a creepy fucking nightmare psychopath.  And Stan from The Americans, because I've never actually wondered if a cup of processed tapioca pudding could play a lead role in a major american dramatic series, but now I know the answer to this question. Ooh!  Now I'm on a role, and I'm adding some testicle to the bonfire of the ovaries we tend to get going.  Feekus from Season Five and Six of Justified!  Christ, what a dickhole.  Hood's fake son on Banshee.  This fucking guy. Fake Lucas should have buried him out in the woods with his not-fake dad.  Every character Evan Peters has ever played on American Horror Story.  Or as Evan would say, EVERY CHARACTER I HAVE EVER PLAYED ON AMERICAN HORROR STORRRRYYYY!!!  He's terrible.  His most convincing character was a brain dead frankenstein who couldn't complete whole sentences.  Eugene on The Walking Dead.  PETE CAMPBELL on Mad Men.  I know people love him, I just love seeing him fail and get punched in the face.  If he ends up with Peggy this final season I'm burning down the Bald Move studios (don't tell Jim). Ramsey Bolton from Game of Thrones.  I can't even talk about him less I end up spoiling something for somebody regarding his future fate, but, ugh.  The only thing that could make me like him would be locking him in a room with Joffery.  Janos Slynt.  How many fucking Starks do you think you can top it the lord and get away with it, anyway?  Lord of Harranhall, pssshhh, fuck you.

Okay, I feel much better now.  

The Emperor approves of this cold-rolled wall of hate.
    TravisTaraC73A_Ron_Hubbardhypergenesb
  • I live to see Pete Campbell fail as well and if he does end up with Peggy then look for a mushroom cloud over Austin, TX - that will be my head exploding
  • Gail the Snail - Always Sunny.  I can't listen to her slurping her spit without cringing.  Every time.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • John_NadaJohn_Nada California
    Barbara Gordon in Gotham.  I do not even think I need to elaborate on this pick.  Anyone watching would know what I am referring to.  The writers had made an utter train wreck of this character to the point where I think they are insulting our intelligence. 

A_Ron_HubbardJovial_FalconTravis
  • @John_Nada Agreed. And they made it even worse by giving us Dr. Thompkins, a very likable love interest for Gordon, which we know will have to end in favor of a reuniting with Barbara - if they are to follow the canon.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

No. 2: Olivia from the Cosby Show. Olivia is no Rudy Huxtable. Olivia isn't fit to carry Rudy's shit to the septic tank. Rudy was actually a great character. It was a really impressive child actor performance. Olivia was all ham and saccharine and it was obnoxious and horrible.  

Still figuring out number 3. Scrappy Doo comes to mind, but it doesn't feel quite right using a children's cartoon character in this particular thread. Scrappy Doo was the worst though.

steph_bksa1001Spookycat4
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Hey man, if you're going to take shots at Olivia, I think you can take shots at a cartoon puppy.  You monster.
    Travisksa1001
  • John_NadaJohn_Nada California
    edited March 2015
    @AntManBee I am really perplexed as to how they would even be able to pull this off.  Barbara is so unredemable right now moving forward I am going to just have to take whatever they do and accept it.  

I dont know if you watch Sleepy Hollow but the writers did the same thing with Katrina Crane which there could only be one acceptable outcome for that.  It worked for them in the end but is not an option in the case of Gotham.    
    TravisAntManBee
  • John_Nada said:

I dont know if you watch Sleepy Hollow but the writers did the same thing with Katrina Crane which there could only be one acceptable outcome for that.  It worked for them in the end but is not an option in the case of Gotham.    

INFERRABLE SLEEPY HOLLOW SPOILERS BELOW (in case anybody cares):

You're right on with Katrina Crane, and I give the show credit for realizing it. The whole thing just didn't work and they did what they had to do and the show will be much better for it. It's funny, Season 2 was just bad for about the first 2/3s (I almost stopped watching, and my enthusiasm was definitely running on fumes) and then there was this one episode where Ichabod and Abby were trapped in a vault and they actually had a talk about how things just weren't clicking like they used to and it almost felt like they were talking about the show, acknowledging that they had strayed from the things that made the show good and it had come off the rails (that's what I read into it at least), and from that point on the show started to feel like it was getting back to its roots and got much better. That was a really solid last 1/3 of the season and it left me with a lot of confidence that next season they're just going to go back to what works after spending that last third of the season kind of cutting down the mistakes that they built. I give the show a lot of credit for the way they ended the season. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that it went against their pre-conceived long term plans.

• SCRAPPY RUINED SCOOBY DOO.
    TaraC73ghm3pavlovsbellTravistrippylesleyj42
  • Hey man, if you're going to take shots at Olivia, I think you can take shots at a cartoon puppy.  You monster.

Man, Olivia is the drop of cyanide in the cocktail of good comedy.