This Is Us - Season 2

Some of us were having a little conversation about this show last year so I thought I'd open a new thread on the new season.
What did everybody think of the first episode? For me, I think it was the first ever where I didn't actually cry, lol, but that's not to say I didn't get emotional. Looks like we got more clues about Jack's death, and I'm kind of terrified to find out about it, but at the same time can't wait. I try not to get too wrapped up in it though as the show is about so much more than that.
When I saw Randall with the baby I kind of rolled my eyes and though "oh my god, this show is so PC, of course he adopted an Asian baby" but apparently I'm easily tricked, ha. If he and Beth become foster parents to troubled teenagers that could lead to some interesting things.
I hope, and it seems Kate will finally be able to focus on something other than her weight - it never annoyed me, and trust me I can relate, but girl you need to step out of that mindset!
I'm not sure where Kevin's story will lead, there wasn't much setup apart from the possible separation from Kate, but I hope he gets something exciting to do.
MichelleElisaTaraC73phoenyx1023

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    I loved the premiere.  It started slow, but I think it was just a reintroduction to where we left off in the S1 finale.  I love Randall and Beth's relationship - "perfectly imperfect together" - and I love that Beth doesn't back down but rather stands her own and voices her concerns.  And I love the 'fake smoking'.  Kevin and Kate definitely need to learn to live their lives without leaning on the other so much.  In S1, it was as if Kevin couldn't navigate his own life without Kate at his hip to guide him every moment - now, hopefully, after Toby talking some truth to him, we'll see him live his own life and go forward with Sophie (which I predict will not go so smooth, there will be obstacles for them as their would normally be in life).  Kate and Toby are giving me life, especially Toby so encouraging her to follow her dream of a singing career.  And I love that she finally realized it's not that she was rejected based on her weight, but rather that she needs to work on her talent.  I hope this finally gets the"I'm not as good as everyone else because I weigh more" thought out of her head and helps her progress with her head high and helps her to shine.    Jack... oh, Jack.  I wanted to cry when he told Rebecca that he had a problem, that he'd been drunk for weeks, and that he needed to work on it alone.  But I also loved that she refused to give up on him and took him home.  I did cry, though, when she pulled up to the front of the house with his effects in the bag on the passenger seat, and her scream/wail after looking at the burned house and letting it sink in.  So, so awful.  I think we can easily piece together what happened to Jack now... Kate had said it's her fault he died, and he died somehow in this house fire.  I have a feeling he ran in to save Kate, got her out, went back in for something and then got stuck inside..or, she somehow accidentally set the fire.  Either way, it's so heartbreaking.  That final scene with Rebecca had me sobbing.

So in love with this show.  I've been trying to find a good podcast about it.  Does anyone know of one?
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    It was an okay episode for me, a bit slow. Kevin is as annoying as ever, and still making everything about Kevin.
    ElisaTaraC73
  • @Michelle I know, like, why is every couple so damn adorable in their own unique way on this show?! I can't even decide which one I like most! And I love the fake smoking, I wonder how the writers come up with all these quirky little things that make the characters so loveable.
    Also, I'm not that sure Jack died in the fire - none of his belongings looked burned. I wonder, did Rebecca see the house for the first time in the finale or was it just the moment she finally lost it? Also not sure that Jack was dead at the time, maybe Rebecca dropped him off at rehab or something and that's why she had his stuff? And she had a Steelers shirt on, so maybe they were at a game, which I don't think she'd go to if her husband's dead. Ugh, too many possibilities! The fire definitely had something to do with it, though. In an interview the creators said the final few minutes take place on the same night (kids crying, Rebecca driving, Kevin broken leg, burned house). So it will all come together.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I didn't think it was as strong as last season, but I am going to give it a little time.

I don't get why Randall would want to adopt a child when his wife just returned to work and then deciding to bring an adult child into the household with his two sheltered daughters?

I kinda felt trolled that they are going to drag the whole Jack mystery another season.  I honestly believed that Jack was the best TV Dad of the year and now they reveal he is a drunk, like his Dad.

Kevin is so damn annoying.  I only like him when he is twinning with Kate. 

It was a very over dramatic in the opener too.  Everything was a crisis.

I am hoping that it gets better.
    Elisa said:

I kinda felt trolled that they are going to drag the whole Jack mystery another season.  I honestly believed that Jack was the best TV Dad of the year and now they reveal he is a drunk, like his Dad.
    The creators have said that we are going to find out fairly early in this season how Jack died.  It won't drag out all season.

Randall is totally feeling the loss of William and is wanting to recapture that by adopting his own son and passing down William's wisdom to that son.  I'm sure that the relationship with William was so meaningful and powerful for him that he doesn't want that feeling to end... my interpretation, anyway.
  • Okay, so the tears that wouldn't come last week came double this time! Especially as the song Landslide makes me cry irl too, for I have some painful memories associated with it. My god, the feels! Jack, drinking problem or no, is the best dad ever. It is so important to be honest about our mistakes and faults, and should I ever have children I will try to follow this way.
    Anyway, am I alone in thinking that Kate is being really unfair to Rebecca? Yeah, she was pushing her, and maybe saw something in her that she wanted to become but couldn't; but I didn't see it to be quite as bad as she makes it out to be. I mean, isn't this what every parent does? You tell your child their drawing is amazing even if it's just shitty stick figures. You tell them they sing beautifully even if they sound bad. I never felt that Rebecca wanted to truly force anything on her, and Kate was being super mean about it. After their fight at the club, I found it really hard to sympathize with Kate. But Toby was still amazingly cute - Team Kate Forevah!
    I'm starting to really like Sophie as well, she seems such an easygoing person, and with such a sweet laugh - exactly what Kevin needs as he gets so tense and wrapped up in his own head.
    Randall and Beth are perfection, as always... and I'm kind of looking forward to a problematic foster child to be introduced to that family, because that for sure isn't gonna go down easy.
    phoenyx1023Michelle
  • I enjoyed the first two episodes of this season and thought they were good.  Probably not as good as the first season, but still quality tv.  However, so far this season, neither my wife or I got really emotional about either episode.  But the season is still young and looking forward to things to come.
    Elisa
    This week's episode brought all the feels. I have issues with my own mother so it was quite affecting to see Kate go in so hard on Rebecca. I do think she was entirely too unfeeling and rude to Rebecca, but on the other hand she is so deep in her insecurities that she can only see/hear Rebecca's actions and words as little slings and arrows toward her every time. It just shows that no matter our age, we can still be hypersensitive when it comes to our parents.

Reni
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I think Rebecca deserves Kate's wrath - she's constantly negging Kate, and they showed that at least twice in this episode. She can't just say, "That was great", it's always, "That was great and once you've fixed X it will be even better." Good on Kate for not staying quiet about it.
  • Milo Ventimiglia gets the dust flowing into my eyes every time
    Reni
  • @Dee I guess my problem is that I feel like this kind of came out of nowhere. In this episode it's clear, sure; but during season 1 I can't recall there ever being this friction between them. Yes, sure, Kate and her dad have a special relationship, but I never got the feeling that she didn't get along with her mom. Maybe I just don't remember, but if they're adding this dimension only now, that doesn't sit quite right with me.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Reni They've definitely touched on it before - I can't remember specifics but there have been at least a couple of other scenes where Rebecca has made those kind of "helpful" comments and Kate has gotten upset.
  • I think in season 1, there were always hints that Rebecca wasn't exactly pleased with the size of Kate and/or that Kate always felt really big because she'd compare herself to her mother.
  • @Dee @dochielomn I guess I have a crappy memory then, ha. The one scene I recall strongly is when Kate got appendicitis and Rebecca came up with the whole "nothing bad ever happens on Christmas Eve" thing which Kate seemed to love. So it's not like Rebecca was this horrible mother to her, at least not horrible enough to deserve what she got from Kate imo. Also the whole "you're thin and beautiful and have perfect pitch even when you speak" sounds like there's a good amount of jealousy in there, too. There may be strain between them, but I think they both want to mend that.
    Dee
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I am “going to bed early” tonight (aka momma needs to be left alone!) so I’m going to watch episode 2... I’ve got high hopes for this season!!
  • @TaraC73 I'm the same... I watch This Is Us when everyone else has gone to bed so nobody will see me cry my eyes out, lol.
    TaraC73
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Reni said:

@TaraC73 I'm the same... I watch This Is Us when everyone else has gone to bed so nobody will see me cry my eyes out, lol.

Lol! I am a crier so my family is used to it... I didn’t get to the show last night. Maybe tonight. (I got sucked into catching up on fear the walking dead.)
  • My wife and I watched this past week's episode and had to pause when young Randall asked if his grandmother shot MLK.  Just too funny of a line.  I actually wanted Jack and Rebecca to tell him, yes, grandma shot MLK.
    phoenyx1023Michelle
  • My wife and I watched this past week's episode and had to pause when young Randall asked if his grandmother shot MLK.  Just too funny of a line.  I actually wanted Jack and Rebecca to tell him, yes, grandma shot MLK.

I was too lazy to look for the thread last week, but I was going to post the same thing. It was so funny. (And that kid is a really good young actor too)