Jerry is the best, most interesting character on Rick and Morty

Not really, I just couldn't help myself.  Jerry is terrible.

I really did enjoy Rick tearing him apart in the Curly Whirly episode, I know someone like that in my real life, but I never realized how predatory they were and how they used their insecurity and whining to manipulate the people around them. Its weird, the concept of someone using their own pathetic-ness to gain advantages over other people.  Hearing it just slashed apart and opened up by Rick sort of opened my eyes.

I also think his resentment of Jerry may be why he was so stand-offish of Summer at first.  He really avoided interacting with her, she even picked up on it and tried to get his approval in the episode where they split their reality.  I think Rick initially didn't like Summer, because she was the reason Beth married Jerry.  He has some comment like "You got Beth pregnant!  She could have been anything!  She was Rick's daughter!"  

I feel like he didn't have those feeling towards Morty, because the damage was already done, but Summer had to earn his attention more because of her conception.

Random thought.  Jerry is the worst, but Beth could be sure that he would never leave her (like Rick did) unless she was the one who pushed him away.  Rick coming home and giving a level of commitment gave Beth the strength to leave Jerry (even though she made him be the one who physically left).  She's always been the most attached to him in the situations where Rick let her down.  Jerry has literally been preying on her since the very beginning, parlaying her heartbreak over her father into 'love' for himself.  

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited September 29
    Say what you will about Jerry, but just remember, none of you losers have ever landed an alien in the sack.
    alexander.klassen
  • That *you* know of.
    GredalBee
    gjulleen said:

That *you* know of.

Don't question "Freddy Rick!"
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry is just the epitome of "Nice Guy Syndrome", and the show does a great job of showing just how he seeks approval by doing things the target of his affection may or may not even want, and then flips the switch to petulance and outrage that he's not appreciated for his efforts.

Somebody needs to get Jerry a copy of "No More Mr. Nice Guy", "Iron John", or "Way of the Superior Man" and make him go out in the woods alone for two weeks and read them.  Put that Titanic shit down, figure out what he actually fucking wants in life, and to pursue it with passion, and everything else will fall into line. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 6
    I feel like the universe reinforced his mediocrity this season though, he essentially didn't change and he still won anyways. It'd be kinda funny though if next season starts immediately after the end and "real" Beth shows up to shoot "clone" Beth in the face then kicks Jerry out again, just a big Dan Harmon fuck you to anyone who thought they were actually going back to season 1.
  • I feel Beth clings to Jerry because she knows he’s not good enough for her. It gives her the power to be the one to leave, which she needs because she is scarred by her father leaving.

This family is so realistically dysfunctional, it’s amazing.
  • edited October 7
    I think Jerry is an interesting (not sure about "best") character because he is the only character that is immune to change. He's so oblivious and up his own his own ass that any potential lessons fly straight through his head and leave no impression.

It's nice to have a character like that around as a foil for the other characters' development.
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    He is the rickety cricket of Rick and Morty.  No matter how bad it gets, Jerry survives.
    darwinfeeshy
  • I detest Jerry, it occurs to me that people might not have gotten that the subject title was sarcasm :D

Jerry strikes me as the kind of person who would drag you to an event that you didn't want to attend.

You would make the best of it, and have a decent time, because you care about this person and want him to enjoy himself.  You go out of your way to be a good sport.

On your way home he tells you that he "knew you'd like it if you gave it a chance."  He gloats, just a little over the fact you had a good time.  You don't want to seem petulant, so you agree.  Even though you didn't really enjoy yourself, you just didn't make a big deal out of not enjoying yourself.

At some point, he wants you to understand how selfish you are, and throws in your face how he took you to that event, and how he always does nice things for you, but you don't even care.  You actually feel bad.

I utterly detest Jerry.  I don't think there is anything redeeming about him.  He dragged Beth to the Titanic thing and was constantly annoyed at her for not obsessing over the stuff he thought she should.  It wasn't enough she went, he expected her to love it, and be appreciative that he went out of his way to bring her.

I'm not saying that doing something you don't enjoy isn't a normal part of a human relationship, it is!  And enjoying it as much as you can is also normal and healthy.  It's the Jerry response that is not healthy.  I don't think he's ever going to grow either, because I don't think he is aware that he needs to grow.  All of his problems are (in his mind) due to Rick.  Rick is the fault line in his entire life. But if it wasn't Rick, it would be Morty's grades.  Or his boss's attitude.  Or Beth's obsession with her career.

Anyways... sorry long post.
    darwinfeeshyThomasJaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    And THAT'S why Jerry is my favorite. He's the most real to me. I know Jerrys. You, who hates Jerry, just wrote this perfect Jerry scenario and it's hilarious in its accuracy. All hail the show writers.

I get it. He's annoying. But he's trapped, and I think he can get out, and I'm rooting for him.

This season didn't do much with Jerry though.
    gjulleen
    edited October 7

I think Jerry is an interesting (not sure about "best") character because he is the only character that is immune to change. He's so oblivious and up his own his own ass that any potential lessons fly straight through his head and leave no impression.

It's nice to have a character like that around as a foil for the other characters' development.
    I really hope there is a scene where he hits a golf shot that looks like it's going to be a hole in one, and Rick and Morty teleport in on the green just in time for the ball to fall through the portal.