edited October 2017 in Halt and Catch Fire
Fuck.

(coherent thoughts coming later, maybe)

Comments

• I'll second that :)
  • Fuck me that hurt.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 2017
    I came in expecting expecting HACF and I got an episode of the Leftovers. There's three more episodes after this one?!
    MrX
  • What a perfect episode. Puddle of tears. 
  • Poor out a Tandy Shandy for good old Gordon Clarke.
    MrX
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    It's so incredible to me how few people are watching this show. Reddit is like... 35 comments when the episode is done? Fucking incredible.
    Haselrighypergenesb
  • It's so incredible to me how few people are watching this show. Reddit
    is like... 35 comments when the episode is done? Fucking incredible.

It's not a sexy show. It's not controversial. There's no great anti-hero or villain. It's a nuanced show. You have to have seen the whole thing for it to have the impact that last episode had. I think those are some of the reasons it's never caught fire, so to speak.
    It's so incredible to me how few people are watching this show. Reddit
    is like... 35 comments when the episode is done? Fucking incredible.

It's not a sexy show. It's not controversial. There's no great anti-hero or villain. It's a nuanced show. You have to have seen the whole thing for it to have the impact that last episode had. I think those are some of the reasons it's never caught fire, so to speak.
    I would say Joe did the antihero thing somewhat at first. And yeah, I'm aware people can't just jump in now, but that doesn't seem to stop other shows from having followings. :P

Maybe you're right... it's not sexy enough for a broader audience.
    Haselrig
  • Hopefully, this is a series that inspires some other great series down the road. Since it's ending either way, that's my best hope for it. That it doesn't just fade away completely like it never happened. Still pretty cool that we belonged to that small club that watched, and appreciated, this show as it unfolded :)
    JaimieT
  • That honestly was one of the most beautiful episodes of television I've seen. I was especially struck by the use of lighting in the last scene. Just wow. Kudos to everyone involved.

HaselrighypergenesbKingKobra

• That honestly was one of the most beautiful episodes of television I've seen. I was especially struck by the use of lighting in the last scene. Just wow. Kudos to everyone involved.

Well said. Absolutely agree.

Anybody check out the Rover and Comet search engines? Pretty cool :)

http://www.roversearch.net/

http://www.cometlist.net/
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 2017

That honestly was one of the most beautiful episodes of television I've seen. I was especially struck by the use of lighting in the last scene. Just wow. Kudos to everyone involved.

Well said. Absolutely agree.

Anybody check out the Rover and Comet search engines? Pretty cool :)

http://www.roversearch.net/

http://www.cometlist.net/

That's pretty sweet - the links point to period-appropriate versions of the websites on archive.org.

And the Cam fan-site is also live:

Haselrig
    - I was listening to a podcast and they said that the Pilgrim character hugged a child at the end, aka, perhaps this means Cameron might have a child (ew, ew). But I didn't see that at all. The Pilgrim character was blue... and a larger red alien hugged it. I really loved that, like you think you're playing an adult but then realize you're just a lost child.

- Again inspired by the podcast, but the scene where Joe is relaying a conversation between Haley and Gordon via the phone. This is going to be Joe's role now... kind of a stand-in dad between Haley and her dead father. brb crying

- I cried a lot during the death vision and after. I didn't say that earlier, so there it is. The podcast has helped me think through this episode, and now I feel like talking.

- I got an eery feeling that Gordon was going to die since all the ends were wrapping up too neatly. The conflict was vanishing. (And I mean character development conflict, since grappling with someone's death is a character in conflict.) 

- What was Jim's Breaking Bad crazy coffee theory called? Maybe just that. Crazy coffee theory: Alexa represents our future, the real future, artificial intelligence. Maybe she is AI from the future. She has a futuristic look, a cold demeanor. HER NAME IS ALEXA. Haha, nah, I just think that's supposed to be symbolic.

- Did anyone wonder if the guy in the office that Donna hates was giving her flirty vibes? I was picking up something weird. Surely this won't be a hate/love romance payoff...
    MrXHaselrig
  • @JaimieT The coffee theory was called "Dead Man's Brew".

And damn, what an episode. One of the most elegantly crafted gut-punches I've seen on TV in a good while, and a beautiful, respectful (note how his body is never shown) exit for a great character. Who would've thought in season 1 that Halt would one day be capable of giving us episodes like this? It makes it all the more of a shame that there's no Bald Move coverage this year. I hope Jim can commandeer a BMTV segment after the finale to talk about the season a bit - this has been a great one.
    hypergenesbJaimieT
  • - I was listening to a podcast and they said that the Pilgrim character
    hugged a child at the end, aka, perhaps this means Cameron might have a
    child (ew, ew). But I didn't see that at all. The Pilgrim character was
    blue... and a larger red alien hugged it. I really loved that, like you
    think you're playing an adult but then realize you're just a lost child.

If it was the WestCoastPodcast, I notice that they are much closer to fans doing a podcast than the Bald Move guys. They seem to misinterpret things that seem pretty straight forward to me and would be slam dunks in a BM analysis. I'm glad it's there (they do offer some opinions that shift my thinking here-and-there), but they mostly highlight how much this season needed a Bald Move podcast companion. I get that it's a tiny show, but the tiny, character/plot driven ones need these podcasts more than the big shows do. There was more going on in that last episode than in the entire run of Walking Dead.
    JaimieT
    It's a tragedy!
  • I was spoiled, ironically by a fucking search engine.  I lost power during the live airing and the next airing was 5:00 AM this morning.  Sometimes the AMC site will have the episode up, but as I typed "halt and catch fire", the first auto-fill was "gordon dead".  Fuck you Google!

When I finally saw the episode, I was wondering how it would happen and I was underwhelmed by the life vision.  I'm sure if you watched it live, you'd probably be in a state of shock with the ending, but I wasn't able to experience that.

I'll tell you what landed like a ton of bricks though.  Bos inviting Cameron to the wedding.  Bos telling her she's perfect and cementing the surrogate Father role was the best. 
    JaimieTHaselrig
  • GredalBee said:

I was spoiled, ironically by a fucking search engine.  I lost power during the live airing and the next airing was 5:00 AM this morning.  Sometimes the AMC site will have the episode up, but as I typed "halt and catch fire", the first auto-fill was "gordon dead".  Fuck you Google!

When I finally saw the episode, I was wondering how it would happen and I was underwhelmed by the life vision.  I'm sure if you watched it live, you'd probably be in a state of shock with the ending, but I wasn't able to experience that.

I'll tell you what landed like a ton of bricks though.  Bos inviting Cameron to the wedding.  Bos telling her she's perfect and cementing the surrogate Father role was the best. 

Fucking search algorithms ...
  • Powerful episode. From Donna "beating" the "unbeatable" game to Gordon's death scene. Beautiful use of lighting throughout the episode (especially the end). They really let natural light take stage and enhance the scenes. Can't believe there are only 2 episodes left :(
    JaimieThypergenesb