Hannibal

TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
He's back June 4th!

Question - I thought will died in the finale? HOW could I have missed that he's still alive?

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/06/nbc-sets-premiere-dates-hannibal-aquarius-and-more?Asdf

Comments

• John_NadaJohn_Nada California
    @TaraC73 I was not under the impression Will Graham was done but the no one lives style of the finale I can see how you thought he was a gonner.  

TaraC73
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I think it was the way he looked at the girl, and yeah it seemed so end of days. Do we know about Crawford or Alanna? Like you said I assumed everyone dies and next season was just gonna be him and redhead.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I guess it seemed more up in the air if you're not familiar with any of the source material.  Even though this is a prequel and some of it is original or remixed, certain characters have plot armor because they still have a role in the ongoing narrative.

I would be markedly less interested if I thought Will Graham was dead.  I love this show, but I actually don't find Hannibal himself that interesting.  His dynamic with other characters is what I find interesting.  And I LOVE Will Graham.
    TaraC73
    I love Will too! I was totally bummed, and only borderline interested in the upcoming season, because of him being dead. The only Hannibal source material I am familiar with are the movies and red dragon book (I believe that's it... The book that has the Phillip Seymour Hoffman character in it)
    pavlovsbell
    It's been ages since I read "Red Dragon," but Will Graham and Jack Crawford are in that, and that's what S3 is supposed to be about.  I know I saw the film adaptation, but I don't think I liked it much.  However, I did like the 1986 Michael Mann version, titled "Manhunter," a lot, though.

The psychological torture of Will is one of the most horrific and infuriating things for me.  It really gets to me on several levels.
    TaraC73
    edited March 2015
    Maybe it wasn't red dragon I read - I would have remembered will... it was years ago that I read it!
    And that was the thing that really got me too. I felt so bad for him, and the relationship w/ him and Hannibal was pretty implausible.
    pavlovsbell
    TaraC73 said:

and the relationship w/ him and Hannibal was pretty implausible.

That's what makes the manipulation so infuriating and the result so horrifying.  The abuse of power and trust by one's psychiatrist and friend.  It's a sick and co-dependent relationship, and the fact that so many fans (Hannigrammers) ship them -- and that Bryan Fuller encourages it -- is sickening to me.  It's an incredibly abusive relationship.
    TaraC73
    It pushes the limit no doubt... It is extremely unlikely to happen IRL. I'd like to think, anyway.
    @TaraC73 Alana Bloom is listed for season 3 but that could be flashback's? Jack Crawford is not unfortunately but IMDb is notoriously inaccurate.
    TaraC73
  • edited March 2015
    SPOILERS IF I HAVE TO SAY IT

Nobody died except Abigail. Even Dr. Chilton will be back this season. And even tho Dollarhyde is introduced this season, it wont be completely Red Dragon. Its like Red Dragon/Hannibal/Hannibal Rising

Season 4 is more Red Dragon i believe but with Francis having like 5 or 6 episodes this season its hard to imagine alot of Red Dragon not happening
    pavlovsbell
    @John_Nada  They both survived.  Laurence Fishburne announced that both of his roles on Hannibal and Black-ish were reduced, but he will be returning for S3.  Alana may or may not be paralyzed, but Caroline Dhavernas and Bryan Fuller have stated that the character will be different now that she realizes how much Hannibal duped her.

Sadly, I think Abigail died.  Someone died, for sure, and she is the only one who does not have plot armor.  And her death would hit Will the hardest.

I just read that S3 will be mostly a mashup of Hannibal and Hannibal Rising, with the usual Bryan Fuller remix.  And I guess some Red Dragon thrown in?  There is actually a lot of info out there about casting and plot details because Bryan Fuller spoils the hell out of his show (he thinks "spoilers" are stupid).  :)
  • Michael Pitt dropped out of the Mason Verger role which is itertating. Joe Anderson(The River, The Crazies) is filling in. Since his face is gone that shouldnt matter but the way he spoke will probably be different.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/12/19/hannibal-mason-verger-recast-for-season-3

@pavlovsbell thank you for the info! I cannot wait for the season to start. I am really hook on this show. It is by far my favorite show.
    pavlovsbell
    I never go digging for articles or info on shows. If something happens across my newsfeed or home page I read it. Thanks @pavlovsbell and @Jovial_Falcon for the info!!
    pavlovsbell
  •   I know I saw the film adaptation, but I don't think I liked it much.  However, I did like the 1986 Michael Mann version, titled "Manhunter," a lot, though.

The psychological torture of Will is one of the most horrific and infuriating things for me.  It really gets to me on several levels.

Manhunter  was so much better than the remake Red Dragon, as much as I like Edward Norton he just was not Will.

pavlovsbell
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    edited March 2015
    @ShelsGeeky They both score a 7.2 on imdb. And only the 1986 version has 'mystery' added as a genre tag. I found that mildly interesting.
  • @Actor I guess I am more than a little biased because I saw Manhunter first many, many years ago and I found every actor who they casted as true to the characters in the books. Even now when I watch any show with Tom Noonan I still think to myself ... it's Francis Dolarhyde the Tooth fairy. That said I do like the casting of the tv Hannibal very much too. And don't get me wrong I love Edward Norton, Fight Club and American History X are some of his best works.
  • I never knew of Manhunter, Will Graham or the Red Dragon story until the 'Red Dragon' movie. Ray Fiennes as Dolarhyde was just so damn creepy to me. That scene with Philip Seymour Hoffman still ranks as one of my favorites of all time. Hoffman's terror on his eyes was gold. Such a great performance for such a small role. Again, maybe its because it was all knew to me but I loved Red Dragon.

I still think I should watch Manhunter sometime to see an 80's interpertation. Is Manhunter more true to the book or Red Dragon? It doesnt really matter to me but I am curious
  • Manhunter was the shit.
  • SPOILERS

First three episodes of S3 are supposed to be like a completely different show with Hannibal in Europe doing a radio show I believe. After that we get to the fallout of the S2 finale and then we enter some red dragon territory with a bit of hannibal rising thrown in for good measure.

Wanna see Hannibal locked up so badly!
    pavlovsbell
    @Jovial_Falcon I don't remember the book that well, but I'm fairly certain Mann changed the ending for the film.  It's still really good, though.  I remember it being heavy on the atmosphere and mood.  It's streaming on Netflix, so you should definitely give it shot.
  • @pavlovsbell thx for letting me know. Ill def check it out soon. I just got Hannibal Season 2 on blu ray as well. Looking forward to the rewatch and listening to Bryan Fuller give insight on each episode
    @Jovial_Falcon  You're welcome.  I keep forgetting to watch it on my blu-rays, thanks for reminding me.  Fuller also did walkthroughs on the AV Club, if you're interested.

TaraC73Jovial_Falcon
    I was going to ask for the blu-rays for my birthday (December) but may ask for Mother's Day instead ;)
    Jovial_Falcon
  • edited March 2015
    Just finished ManHunter. I liked it alot. They def switched up scene orders from Red Dragon which had me guessing how it was going to end.

Since watching Hannibal TV series, I can see why William Peterson's Will Graham is more true. I never really got a big hint in Red Dragon that Will Graham was slowly going back down the rabbit hole, so to speak. And Crawford never seemed to be a dickhead in Red Dragon like he is or can be in Manhunter and Hannibal series.

Dennis Farina as Crawford-never would have that would work but it did.

The butterfly guy from Silence of the Lambs and Chris Elliot was also a pleasant surprise. A great cast overall too.

Thx again @pavlovsbell for the heads up about Netflix
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited March 2015
    Just came here to say I noticed Pavlov's signature:

Peter, is your social worker in that horse?

And to ask if Aron and Jim are still considering covering Hannibal.  I want to hear you all wrestle with the logistics of stuff like a live bird being inside a man who's inside a horse. 

TaraC73pavlovsbell
    chrisk said:

Just came here to say I noticed Pavlov's signature:

Peter, is your social worker in that horse?

And to ask if Aron and Jim are still considering covering Hannibal.  I want to hear you all wrestle with the logistics of stuff like a live bird being inside a man who's inside a horse. 

Yup, that line never ceases to make me smile.  I never thought I'd hear someone string together those specific words in that order and deliver them in such an utterly earnest, serious manner.  It's hilarious.
    Jovial_Falconchrisk