705 - Holes

TRIGGER WARNING FOR TRYPOPHOBIA!!!

Director: Maggie Kiley
Writer: Crystal Liu
jazzminawaCecilyKingKobraMichelleElisaxulsolar22Weirdhealthalina_macReni

Comments

• Quiet on the episode front. This just gave us all the cards which seems kind of early for AHS. I wonder if @A_Ron_Hubbard still has a house on the river?
    Elisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I wonder if they're going to do a switcheroo on us like they did last season, and the cult will end up becoming the victims of a scarier predator.
    KingKobraTravis
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    This is the first season where I am genuinely enjoying Evan Peters performance.
    ElisaTravis
  • Jamie91Jamie91 Pennsylvania
    edited October 6
    Hey guys, I really look forward to this podcast every week! This is my first time posting anything, but I felt the need to say how frustrating it is as a viewer that literally every character is now in the cult. While it is both ironic and smart that the most annoying character has now turned into an unlikely heroine, I just wish there were more characters to root for this season. Horror works best when there is a moral epicenter ie. a family a couple, etc. My least favorite season of this show was Hotel, because I was ultimately watching a bunch of sociopaths--albeit sexy sociopaths--running around murdering people. I'm not saying everything needs to end well, obviously, that's not going to happen. With Murder House, Asylum, and even Roanoke, there were characters that were ultimately decent people who had horrible shit happen to them. And that is more interesting, because it creates drama and tragedy! Ugh. I guess I'll just have to root for Ally this year because I just don't give a shit about these moronic sociopaths. In fact, I now just look forward to seeing them all pay horribly. Ugh. Them nails in RJ really bothered me.
    Elisaalina_mac
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Final thoughts about this episode: what. the. fuck? Lots of answers but only one burning question - what the fuck is with the gimp? What? Bob, wtf??? I mean, we'll never know now since he was killed off, but why introduce that level of freaky with zero explanation? Sigh...not great, Bob!

ElisaTravis
  • BlanchBlanch Tempe, Az
    I think the tables are turning and Beverly Hope may become the leader over Kai. She could be the one "Queen Bee" that everyone serves, tying in the bee metaphor.

Thoughts?
    samollyElisaalina_macTravis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I think you could be right, but Evan P's crying was so fake I can't tell if he's just that bad at it or we're supposed to think it's a put on.  Like, he's rope-a-doping her.
    mwspiakMichellesamollyElisaKingKobraWeirdhealthalina_macTravis
  • alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    Ah! Y'all were right that Ivy and the Dr were in on it!

Elisa
    @MichelleThis video (and regular listening to Dan Savage's Savage Love podcast) taught me all I need to know about the gimp situation in Bob's house. Basically, it's just an amped up version of dom/sub play.

BuzzFeed: I Spent 24 hrs in a Sex Dungeon

I wish they had left the Gimp. It would have been an interesting reveal for the adoring public that their clean-cut tv personality was "devious" or "perverted." But that side of the story isn't a part of our AHS story. 
    Elisa
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited October 5
    I was kind of "meh" on this one. I think maybe it ties into what @jamie91 was saying and all but one focal character (not including Ozzie) being in the cult. With them all in a room together plotting it just felt like way too big of a stretch. I hadn't felt it so much in the last episode, probably because I didn't have the visual of them having full on strategy meetings. I mean, they've got the Chaz Bono and Winter and Ivy all hanging out plotting together. It just felt too stupid, even for me (and I can get down with stupid). I hope and suspect that @Michelle is right and this will give way to the curveball of something else. I can suspend a ton of disbelief, but this whole set up is really pushing my limits. 

That said, just one "meh" episode and otherwise I've been having a lot of fun with it, and even with that it was amusing to see that their operation is pretty clunky from the inside. It was a fun contrast with how perfectly everything has appeared to be executed from other perspectives. I just hope they do some sort of course correction quickly. 
    Elisaalina_mac
  • I didn’t mind the episode other than the end I found a little too disturbing even for AHS standards. For some reason the nail gun to the head with the dude pleading made me shudder. I didn’t even shudder at the gimp being ripped off his hooks. I know he needed Ivy’s commitment, but I feel like a slice to the throat would have served the same purpose for the audience (maybe not because I wouldn’t be writing about it if they did)
    Elisa
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Fuuuuucking hell. Those gimp hooks and the nails in the head, that's got to be some of the most fucked up graphic shit I've ever seen on AHS. Can you think of anything worse? I remember there being some gnarly experiments in Asylum but we only usually got to witness the aftermath rather than the event.

Elisaalina_macMichelle
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited October 6
    “Radicals are the only thing who have ever gotten anything done."

-Says Ivy, professional Jill Stein hater, and unfortunately, many real-life Americans right now.

Also, what is Ivy's plan here? I get that Kai isn't conservative or liberal, but more of an opportunist. Ivy's an extremist liberal and says that what they are doing is achieving the goal of changing the country. Her plan is to get Kai elected, which will somehow change the world to what she wants it to be. Yet, she sees that Kai's other minions that she is working alongside consists of at least one extreme right-wing guy.that she kidnapped and chained up.

So, why exactly would she think that Kai is planning make any changes that fit any semblance of her extremist left wing views?

Ivy and the MAGA guy can't be after the same ultimate goals here, yet they are working towards the same goal. I'm sure there is some political statement in there somewhere, but Ivy's ideals seem nonsensical to me.
    TravisElisaalina_mac
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited October 6

“Radicals are the only thing who have ever gotten anything done."

-Says Ivy, professional Jill Stein hater, and unfortunately, many real-life Americans right now.

Also, what is Ivy's plan here? I get that Kai isn't conservative or liberal, but more of an opportunist. Ivy's an extremist liberal and says that what they are doing is achieving the goal of changing the country. Her plan is to get Kai elected, which will somehow change the world to what she wants it to be. Yet, she sees that Kai's other minions that she is working alongside consists of at least one extreme right-wing guy.that she kidnapped and chained up.

So, why exactly would she think that Kai is planning make any changes that fit any semblance of her extremist left wing views?

Ivy and the MAGA guy can't be after the same ultimate goals here, yet they are working towards the same goal. I'm sure there is some political statement in there somewhere, but Ivy's ideals seem nonsensical to me.
    Precisely!
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I am SO FUCKING ANGRY at myself!!! I had to stop watching because the clowns were just too much (nightmares three nights in a row, aRon may be right - it might not be actual coulrophobia but it’s pretty fucking intense fear!) and this episode sounds really good!
    Michelle
    I want to love this season. I thoroughly enjoyed earlier episodes, but the points everyone has made are true and the plot premise is being pulled a little too thin. The main distraction is everyone working together in the same room despite obvious differences of personal interest. I may be able to get over that, and the convenience that everyone blindly follows Kai. I do agree with Cecily that we've already seen Kai be super charismatic with people and there isn't time to expand on that. 

There are currently three nagging unanswered questions that will drag the whole season if Murphy doesn't answer them.
    1. How connected is Dr Vincent to the cult? I believe this will be explained to us. It's already been hinted at. The coffin victims were Dr Vincent's clients and he would have told Kai about the phobia.
    2. What happened to Meadow? I was hoping she was just "disappeared" by the cult so Harrison and Meadow could start over separately, not divorced but not married. I mean, why wouldn't they have already killed her if they wanted her dead?
    3. What pushed Ivy to betray Ally?
    I hope they give us more answers to the Meadow and Ivy questions, because the things they've shown us onscreen haven't been satisfying. 

• @alina_mac The one that I think they have touched on is #3. I think that between Ally's being very tough to live with and then her committing the sin of voting Stein drove Ivy here. I mean, looking at it realistically these things being not "maybe we should split up" but "maybe I should start a campaign of psychological terror upon her" is problematic but it's in keeping with what they are doing in the show. As fun as it is, I'm not exactly giving them points for drawing up true to life, well rounded characters with realistic motives here. Maybe they'll show something in a flashback, a moment where she realizes that she decides to torture Ally, but honestly I think it's as simple as that.
    Elisa