408 - Goodwill

Another amazing episode, although rough to get through considering the subject matter. You really appreciate the few moments of levity in this one, like Joe and Haley's failed sweater heist or Bos' chili recipe. Katie is gone, Donna and Cameron are talking to each other again (at least for now), and Joe is...really having a bad time with all of this. Next week is the finale (2 episodes) - not remotely ready for this show to be over.
hypergenesb

Comments

• Another amazing episode, although rough to get through considering the subject matter. You really appreciate the few moments of levity in this one, like Joe and Haley's failed sweater heist or Bos' chili recipe. Katie is gone, Donna and Cameron are talking to each other again (at least for now), and Joe is...really having a bad time with all of this. Next week is the finale (2 episodes) - not remotely ready for this show to be over.

Agreed, solid episode. Really hard watching all of these characters mourn the loss. My only complaint - I don't think they needed the flashbacks. 
    SomeBiscuitKingKobra
  • edited October 8
    @hypergenesb I don't know - the initial cold open flashback felt superfluous at first, but the bookend at the end of the episode, revealing that the last thing Gordon saw before he died was a memory of a moment right before he promised never to leave Donna again (or at the very least, the scene is deliberately staged to be a mirror of Gordon's walk through his house in the previous episode)? That hit really hard. Also, you'd miss out on the scene where Gordon jumps into the water, which looked just amazing - great directorial work from Christopher Cantwell throughout.

(Also, there's a great meta reference in there - the clock by Donna's bed reads 4:07, same as the number of the episode in which Gordon died. It's on the verge of being too obvious, but I liked it.)
  • Agree with other posts, another excellent episode. Watching everyone deal with grief differently was powerful.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 9
    I feel like the directors of this episode just let the actors do their thing and it worked like a charm. God I'm going to miss this truly beautiful show. I could have never imagined a show that started as the rise of the computer age would make me feel this kind of real emotion.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm enjoying that Joe is angsty again. I think a breakup with Cameron is due. He's changed, and she's the same. They really aren't that great together. I always liked it best when they were fighting, entertainment-wise. Whereas, there are many other couples in the show where you can see, yes, these people fit together, and you don't mind just listening to them talk.

But I don't know, maybe I'll eat my words.

I didn't watch the "next on," so I have no idea where the show is going with this finale. Presumably back to business, but I don't know what the stakes are.

Maybe Donna and Cameron will go off and start a business together, like we wanted to see Peggy and Joan do in Mad Men. :)

• @JaimieT you didn't miss much, it was a lot of quick cuts.
    JaimieT
  • Right from when the picked out the Dire Straits album I got emotional. That's such a "dad" record lol, I can totally picture my dad blasting it on the living room circa 1990 or so. Perfect for the moment.

And then all the little vignettes of the characters dealing with grief in their own way made for such a nice episode.