Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

New comedy on Netflix from Tina Fey.  It was supposed to go to NBC but they declined and Netflix picked it up.

Dark, weird, twisted, but pretty damn funny.  Ellie Kemper (from The Office) is tremendous.  The show/premise just would not work without her.  I highly recommend it.

Also, if you stick it out, you get an appearance from a Bald Move TV Icon...along with a lot of other famous cameos.  Good stuff.
Travis

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I've watched the first 3 and I think how much people will like it very much depends on how high their tolerance is for Ellie Kemper's shtick. She's basically doing Erin 2.0. It's okay so far, but I had higher expectations after Sepinwall and Vice.com talked it up.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I haven't watched a comedy in about 10 years but I really enjoyed it.

The birthday episode is tremendous.
  • DrKen said:

I haven't watched a comedy in about 10 years...

Are you actually Mr. Burns or something?
    Travisksa1001
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    You there, fill it up with petroleum distillate, and re-vulcanize my tires, post-haste!
    A_Ron_HubbardTravisghm3ksa1001
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited March 2015
    Not quite as funny and sharp as 30 Rock (at least the early seasons) but I like it alright. In my opinion Tituss is far and away the best character, he is always thoroughly enjoyable and hilarious to watch. I really think this show suffers from the two female leads being pretty sub par. Kimmy is basically a not as funny, more naive Liz Lemon - at times there is exact Liz Lemon quirks, and it didn't play well on another actor. Jenna from 30 Rock, who also stars in this, I just dont find her very funny. I just wish better and funnier actresses were in these roles because they are definatly out there. 

Sometimes the tone and editing is a bit strange, feels like it's need to be a bit more polished? Did anyone feel that?

John Hamm- fucking hilarious. Love that man.  And goddamn that theme is song is catchy! 
    Travis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    My paramour and I will be watching a bunch sometime this week.  I'm excited for the Tina Fey pedigree, but I'm nervous because I never liked the character all that much on The Office.  If it's fairly one note, that will be a laugh killer for me.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I would say it's definitely not one-note.  On the surface, she's similar to The Office character with a roiling PTSD explosion always bubbling barely underneath it.

I found very little I disliked about it.  If I had to point to one thing, it's the Krakowski character's storyline and the stuff in her home but that is mostly set aside in the 2nd half of the season.

Tituss Andromedon is a perfect foil for her.  He's great.
    Travis
  • I though this show was freaking hilarious!!  I love Ellie Kemper!  She is so much better in this show than in The Office, and she fully commits to quirkiness of her character.  The humor is very similar to 30 Rock with similar characters as well.  Ellie is basically a mixture of Liz Lemon and Kenneth, and Jane Krakowski is basically the same character as Jenna Maroney.  Tituss and Carol Kane are pretty unique, though they both take over the Tracy Morgan role a little bit.  They also have some really great characters in more minor roles and a fantastic Dean Norris cameo.  Overall, I thought this was a great first season and I think this show has a lot of potential.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

My wife and I watched 11 of the 13 over the weekend and I really, really enjoyed it. My favorite comedies almost always contain overdrive in the heart and silliness departments and this show definitely has that. There are some things that the show could tighten up, but season 1s of sitcoms have that problem a lot. I really hope we get a round 2 in this case. This show could really grow into something great if it gets the chance.

MORE SPECIFIC DETAILS BELOW

Also, it's all about Too Many Spidermen and being a black man vs. being a werewolf.

• ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Binged this whole series over the weekend. Very funny. The jokes come quick and they pull a few British humor gags with bleeping/censoring of language that are fun. The music and tone are very 30 Rock and yes @aberry89 that song IS catchy and will be stuck in my head for quite awhile. Fun stuff all around.
    Travis
  • It's funny, I did not like the song at all the first two or three times, but it really does come back around. I'm pretty into it now.
  • I think I'm up to episode 9 or so, it definitely gets better than it is in the beginning, episode 7 was particularly great. 

I really hated Titus at the beginning and still sort of do but not as much as in the beginning. I can typically only handle one crazed narcissist per show and that slot is already filled by Jane Krakowski's character.
    Travis
    @ghm3 ;omg! Really? Titus makes the show for me, I think he is funniest thing on it. Pinot Noir....? dear god, I was dying. 
  • @aberry89 Oh yeah, he was goddamn intolerable in the beginning. He's basically Alan Harper from Two and a Half Men, a show I could never stand more than a few episodes of because of that vile sack. I just can't be humored by a free-loading, entitled, exploitative narcissist POS. 

(sorry you've just sparked a bit of a rant here)

Here comes generous naive Kimmy, who insanely allows him to stay and is thus his salvation from being evicted and being homeless. What does he do to repay her kindness? Steals as much from her as he figures he can reasonably get away with and shoves her into a closet. Why the fuck is that supposed to be funny? It's vile and disgusting, greatly exacerbated by the fact that this is written not to condemn or mock his actions but rather to be interpreted as humorous. What the fuck? I'm just glad they backed way down from this shittiness and he's actually contributing and finally did something that wasn't for his own personal gain by episode 5 or something. The Pinot Noir bit was great, I think my favorite was when he was in the house with the handyman outfit, that was hysterical.

But god, at its core the character is just so cliche. I hate to go here because of the bullshit that comes with it but I have to, I just couldn't ignore it. A black, flamboyantly gay wannabe stage actor? Seriously? How many more goddamn cliches can you be? I really have much higher expectations from the likes of Tina Fey, this is just sad. It's like they realized they had to check the PR boxes of representing minorities and homosexuals and voila, one convenient character to represent them all. Holy lazy. 

What's so ironic about this to me is how prejudiced this actually is, but would never be called because it's perpetrated by someone like Tina Fey who can do no wrong to those in the circles that love jumping all over this shit. If they want to have a gay black guy on the show that's totally fine, but why must they make him an insanely cliched stereotype? WTF would be so wrong with just making him a regularish boring guy with a boring job and may be particularly shy and introverted (as basement dwellers sometimes are) and Kimmy's presence takes him out of his shell and opens him up to new things he'd never do alone? There's all sorts of potential humor in a premise like that, with ample opportunities get sweet/serious at times to boot. But nope, let's cue generic flamboyant gay stereotype from central casting instead.
    Travis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 2015
    @ghm3 Just FYI, Tina Fey is no sacred cow - she's been called out for her problematic stereotyping and perceived borderline racism in the past. It's just that you don't hear much about it because she's an industry darling.

For example: http://yourfaveisproblematic.tumblr.com/post/46079499380/tina-fey
    ksa1001
  • @Dee That's the first I've ever heard of any of those things, but as you say it's never gets any real attention because she's industry elite.
    edited March 2015
    @ghm3  I agree with you about his character being cliche, and I think that character is SAAAVED by the actor. And I think me liking the actor so much kinda blinded me to how stereotypical the character is. A bit of a counter point is this article...it both points out the stereotypes and ways the show at times breaks them. 

I think Tina Fey is very funny, she definitely slants more toward SNL type writing - it's very skit and punch line driven, not plot and character driven. If you want that, I would turn to Dan Harmon the writer of Community. I like both - I respect Dan Harmon's work more. 
  • @aberry89 That article raises far more questions and curiosities to me than insights, which just means that I need to finish up the season and re-read it. Regardless, I don't see anything in there that could change my mind of being disappointed by the highly cliche character they made Tituss, though I agree that the actor largely overcomes that.
    @ghm3 ;Yeah, I didn't think it could change your mind on that character, it seems like lots of people are really split over him. I did like the point it made about Dong being the love the interest that Kimmy chooses in the end - not just being the "ethnic" third wheel of a love triangle. I think another reason why I didn't get too annoyed by some of the worse aspects of the show was because I was kind of meeh on the whole thing. I enjoyed it, but not my favorite new comedy. Something like the new comedy show "Galavant" was what really impressed me thing past year. 
    Travis
  • I agree that Titus can sometimes be a little B.I.T. of a J.E.R.K.

• edited March 2015
    @aberry89 Just finished up the season. Sadly I have to actually backtrack from what I said about liking Titus more. I thought they were actually developing the character mid-season and he was becoming an actual human being and friend but nope, the very few good things he ever did were just flukes. 

I noticed a bit a of a pattern with my attitude towards him; for the most part, when he's by himself/interacting with strangers/etc. I find him perfectly entertaining, but when he's with Kimmy he's back to being a complete piece of shit that I fucking hate. 

I really couldn't stand the court part at the end of the season, so of course they stretch it out over several agonizing episodes. 

Overall I like the show a lot, Ellie Kemper is absolutely adorable as Kimmy and most of the supporting cast are really good, but I still can't stand Titus. I think episodes 7, 9 and 10 were the strongest.
    edited March 2015
    I don't think funny characters need to be likeable... For example - Blazing Saddles (I hope you've seen it or this will make no sense, also, its Blazing Saddles, so I hope you've seen it) 

These two guys, very likeable, very funny. image

These two guys, not likable, but very funny. 

I admit a character can be so unlikable that he/she is unredeemable comedy wise, but I just don't get that with Titus. Sometimes a nice character is not very funny (Have to admit, Kimmy, for me - not super funny, just sort of cute. In fact, at times toooo cute. too much.   Buuut, thats just my opinion.)

And yeah, the jury stuff was kinda boring - that should have been one ep. Thank god for Jon Hamm! 

• edited March 2015
    @aberry89 Oh yeah that's definitely true, I'm not saying a character has to be likable to be funny. Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory is another good example of that. 

More specifically what I perhaps don't like is the pretense of the completely one-sided relationship being acceptable. How someone can be a vile POS offering almost nothing to anyone else yet still being accepted, it drives me nuts. Again, I was fine with Titus's character on his own, it's when he's with Kimmy I can't stand him. 

And yeah I've seen Blazing Saddles many times, great movie. Well, mostly. It's a bit too slap-sticky for me overall, but it has many incredibly good scenes. I call that the Tropic Thunder effect, where certain individual scenes are actually better than the movie as a whole. This is one of my favorite short scenes:

But yeah Blazing Saddles is a gem that could sadly never be made today in our shitty society for full of coddled self-entitled-narcissist-participation-trophy-receiving-gluten-free-dieted-peanut-allergen-riddled-anxiety-dog-plane-boarding-bottled-water-only-drinking-dinner-plate-Instagramming-fixie-riding-neckbearded-IPA-microbrew-chugging-constantly-straining-to-be-offended-so-they-can-be-a-pious-douche-and-feel-great-about-themselves millennials. Or something.
    edited March 2015
    @ghm3 Hahah, well, that's a good place to leave it I think ;)
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Finally finished this after being unimpressed by the first few episodes.  I ended up really enjoying it.  I love the 30 Rock absurdity and the White-Male-as-villain theme.  I hope that the second season is more polished.  It has the potential to be great, but there were often parts of episodes that felt undercooked, and many were like mediocre SNL skits.  I know Tina Fey has a comedy boner for OJ, but man, that Marcia and Chris stuff was dragged out way beyond funny.

Also, is there anything that Jon Hamm cannot do?  He was incredible, and he single-handedly saved the trial storyline.
    ksa1001