MLB 2017 Playoffs

Since I couldn't really quickly find the old MLB thread (think there was one at some point), I'd start this one specifically for the 2017 playoffs.  Anyone watching?

It's interesting to me how much players reactions seem to be changing with them jumping up and down and reacting on the field.  Last night, during the Cleveland-New York game, I watched Lindor catch a routine pop-up with the bases loaded and 2 outs in the like the 5th inning and after he caught it, you'd of thought they just won the world series the way he was smacking his glove and screaming in excitement.  I'm not knocking him showing some emotion but it's interesting to me to think about to say 10 or maybe even like 5 years ago and I don't think I recall seeing so much players emotions on the field during the any part of the game.

Either way, some entertaining series so far.

Comments

• As a Sox fan glad to see them at least get a W yesterday. And I've enjoyed Big Papi being on the Fox studio team. They've got a pretty solid crew: ARod (who I like much more as a tv guy than a Yankee), Papi, Keith Hernandez (who I always still think of his Seinfeld cameo first) and Frank Thomas (he was one of my favorites growing up back in the early 90s along with Griffey Jr).

Yanks - Indians series has been great - finally got a good pitching game! I'm still a big Terry Francona fan and if the Sox can't win would love to see him take it all this year.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited October 9
    STROS TO THE ALCS!

ChinaskiDoctor_Nick
  • It will be interesting to see if any ramifications come out of the Red Sox losing to the Astros 3 to 1.  Mainly, will John Farrell be back?  Personally, I thought he was a little over rated and kind of lucked into winning a World Series (mainly, the Red Sox won despite him).
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    @cdrive - best.gif.ever. hahah
    cdrive
  • edited October 12
    Shocked that the Yankees came back to win their series.  I wasn't that surprised that NY won the 2 games in NY but I totally expected Kluber to be lights out last night (like 7 to 8 innings, 0 or 1 earned run).  Not sure if he just tired or maybe he just doesn't have that "it" factor that some pitchers have when they get into the post-season and turn it up a notch.  I fully expected Sabathia to get yanked after 2 to 3 innings figuring Cleveland would get at least 3 or 4 off of him but Sabathia was the one to step up and show me something.  Also, hell of at-bats for Todd Frazier and Brett Gardner.  I would love to hear Francona (if anyone asked him) answer why he pitched to Gardner (who typically is going to be a pesky type of at-bat) and not going after Judge who was like 1 for 20 with 16 strikeouts.  Sure Judge had a monster year but in this series, he was basically completely lost and wasn't coming close to putting solid contact on the ball other than his 1 hit of the series (and I was thinking this as soon as Gardner came up, not a hindsight thing).  Was just curious if Francona considered it.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited October 12
    Well I was rooting for the Yankees.  Astros sucked this year against Cleveland (1-5). Did pretty good against NY (5-2).
    Plus now we get home field advantage.  That big dude for NY is something else....CC Sabathia?  When he charged at that pop up bunt with all of his 300 lb girth and slid on one knee... :astonished: Holy crap.  There was like a 12"x4"x4" tear in the turf the ump was trying to patch back up.  
  • edited October 12
    Shocked that the Yankees came back to win their series.  I wasn't that surprised that NY won the 2 games in NY but I totally expected Kluber to be lights out last night (like 7 to 8 innings, 0 or 1 earned run).  Not sure if he just tired or maybe he just doesn't have that "it" factor that some pitchers have when they get into the post-season and turn it up a notch.  I fully expected Sabathia to get yanked after 2 to 3 innings figuring Cleveland would get at least 3 or 4 off of him but Sabathia was the one to step up and show me something.  Also, hell of at-bats for Todd Frazier and Brett Gardner.  I would love to hear Francona (if anyone asked him) answer why he pitched to Gardner (who typically is going to be a pesky type of at-bat) and not going after Judge who was like 1 for 20 with 16 strikeouts.  Sure Judge had a monster year but in this series, he was basically completely lost and wasn't coming close to putting solid contact on the ball other than his 1 hit of the series (and I was thinking this as soon as Gardner came up, not a hindsight thing).  Was just curious if Francona considered it.
    Francona definitely made some questionable decisions that essentially had the Indians snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. For example, why pitch Bauer on such short rest in game 4 when they have so much pitching depth?  Just looking at last year in the World Series alone shows Bauer's curve gets diminished on short rest.  But no, Francona kind of made a panic move, thinking he was gonna see second-half Bauer and they paid dearly.  I felt he should've gone with Tomlin especially with the Cleveland bullpen. And of course I agree with you that they should've walked Gardner to face Judge who is lost at the plate.

As for Kluber, I was surprised at how ineffective he was. He actually has "it". Last year he pitched the Indians to the World Series. He only lost Game 7 because Francona over pitched him. 

Regardless, the Yankees were incredible this series. Especially after the collapse in Game 2 along with Girardi's major gaffe. Not many teams, especially young ones like the Yanks this year, can overcome such a demoralizing loss. Tanaka's clutch performance really was the turn of the series. 
  • @Aww_PHuuCk, can't say I knock Francona for going with Bauer on short rest.  Granted I don't follow Cleveland so I don't know too much about Bauer but obviously in Game 1, he was fantastic.  So going back to him for Game 4, knowing that you have game 5 in Cleveland with Kluber going, it's sort of house money you're playing with at that time.  Yes, you'd prefer to win Game 4 but worse case you have to think that you're going to have a excellent chance to win Game 5 at home with Kluber.  Additionally, Bauer's defense did let him down.  But I am also a believer that part of pitching is picking up your teammates when they make an error and the error that the 3rd basemen made was a ball that was rocketed to him so if they called it a hit, I wouldn't have been shocked.  But after that, Bauer had to minimize the damage which he wasn't able to do.  And watching that game, I think some of the Yankee hitters finally realized that they just need to look for the curve and swing away at it since the curve was clearly Bauer's money pitch that game.

To me, the series came down to Cleveland's defense letting them down as well as the Yankees controlling Lindor and Ramirez.  Much can be said for Cleveland owning Judge but the Yankees pitching did the same to a lot of the Cleveland hitters as well.  I think bullpen wise, each time just wiped the other one out with their impressive bullpens and the difference is really that Bird HR off of Miller.  Although, as I was watching last night, had Cleveland been able to tie it up in the 9th, I wonder where they go to as the key pieces of Cleveland's bullpen had already pitched.  But, obviously, you're objective is to at least hold the score in order to tie it up or take the lead and then worry about the rest of the game as it unfolds.

• amazing game 5 with Cubs/Nationals going on. 
    that top of the 5th was fantastic.
    Hatorian
  • Bases loaded for Bryce. Oh my.
    these bullpens are shitting the bed
  • This game is batshit insane. Fantastic for TV but terrible for my health.
    ChinaskiHatorianGredalBeeNoel
  • 6 more outs. Cmon Cubbies...
    Aww_PHuuCk
  • lol Metro just announced the last train is at 1am ... Yea that's not gonna work.

• edited October 13
    Wow. Baseball gods looked after the Cubs there.  The Cubs' bullpen is such garbage right now that they're only getting outs from umpires and replays. 

We're in for a hell of a 9th inning. Geez Cubbies get an insurance run please.

POSTGAME EDIT:  Wtf. How the Cubs held on with a bullpen only running on piss for fuel at that point, is beyond me.

All I know is I utterly hate how Maddon manages a bullpen in do-or-die playoff games. It's like he's trying to sabotage the Cubs, but the players are too stubborn to let his dastardly plans come to pass.
  • what a game. Cubs last 2 playoff series have been some of the best playoff baseball ever. 

this bullpen needs to get sorted though. Got some lucky close calls. going to be hard to win a 7 game series against any of the teams left if they dont stop walking people. 
    Aww_PHuuCk
    Dusty Baker reminds me of MLB's Andy Reid
    mjmulladyNoel
  • Incredible game 5 last night.  Really thought the Nationals had it once Scherzer came into the game.  Thought he'd lock it down.  And while technically it was a correct call on the pickoff at 1st base in the bottom of the 8th, I really wanted them to keep the call on the field.  I know we have replay but I don't think the intention of it was really to get a play where the guy comes off the bag for a micro-second to be called out like that.  But maybe that's because I remember when baseball was without instant replay.  Either way, great game to enjoy (especially when you have no rooting interest either way).
  • Incredible game 5 last night.  Really thought the Nationals had it once Scherzer came into the game.  Thought he'd lock it down.  And while technically it was a correct call on the pickoff at 1st base in the bottom of the 8th, I really wanted them to keep the call on the field.  I know we have replay but I don't think the intention of it was really to get a play where the guy comes off the bag for a micro-second to be called out like that.  But maybe that's because I remember when baseball was without instant replay.  Either way, great game to enjoy (especially when you have no rooting interest either way).
    Yea I think that while it now seems normal in football, we forget for a while when instant replay was new in that sport there was a lot of consternation for calls getting overturned that never would have been considered pre-replay (and I mean there still is some today ... "what is a catch?").

I guess we'll just have to get used to it in baseball too.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 16
    That walk off homer by Turner was pretty. Had a huge leg kick and just let it rip, looked like some dude playing show pitch softball about to tee off. Also he looks like Tormund.

And the fan made a sweet catch!
  • Joe Maddon nearly cost the Cubs last year. This year he's back to finish the job. 
    what a horseshit call. Maddon had every right to be pissed.
    Aww_PHuuCk
  • edited October 19
    I love Curtis. However, I was sorely disappointed in his 5th grade trickery tonight. Even so, the umpires had no business overturning the initial call, especially considering earlier in the game Rizzo got called out on strike 3 when his bat actually made contact and they didn't even huddle for that.

My stars and garters, could you imagine how violent Wrigley would've been if Grandy hit a home run?
  • Going to take the Cubs playing flawless baseball for 3 more games to make this comeback.

going to need Quintana and Lester to throw gems. Especially since Davis ain’t pitching game 5 with that pitch count. 

Cubs cannot continue to walk hitters and expect to win.

only upside is if they can get Playoff Kershaw next game and blow him up for 7-8 runs then go back to Wrigley against a beatable Hill.

however a game 7 against Darvish, ouch. Not looking good. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 21
    What a great game by Verlander. This Frazier strikeout was just nasty.

• Houston vs. LA is going to be an interesting series.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited October 22
    Go Stros! After the last few days of absolutely classless dodgers fans showing no respect for the Cubs/dodgers series I really hope the Astros destroy them. 
    cdriveChinaski
    dodger fans are obnoxious