• Lots of extra inning dingers tonight.

Altuve!

Correa!

Puig!

This is fun.
    cdrive
  • What a game!
    cdrive
  • I think this might end up being a good World Series guys.
    cdrive
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Amazing game. I'm a Houston gal, and the only sport I've ever liked is baseball. It's awesome to finally see the Stros kicking ass.
    cdrive
  • Dave Roberts too smart for his own good in this game. 
  • The game was a lot of fun once we hit the 8th inning.  A couple of my thoughts:

1) I got really annoyed at either Buck or Smoltz for making a comment about managers ask players to go above and beyond what they normally do during the season, specifically closers.  In today's game with today's media, i'm not surprised managers go to their closers and ask for 6 outs out of them when typically in a season, they rarely bring in a closer in the 8th inning.  The reason I got annoyed was because if the manager doesn't bring in the closer in the 8th, they're going to get hammered by the media for "why didn't you use your "best" pitcher to get the outs you needed?".  So, I kind of think it's a lose-lose type of scenario.  Either you bring in your closer in the 8th and you're being told that you're over extending your pitcher or you don't bring them in and you get repeatedly asked why didn't you bring this pitcher in?

2) Does any Astros fan really want to see Giles pitching in any high leverage situation?  And please don't say yes, because that probably means that the Astros have the lead late in the game, I think you know what I'm asking here, :).  I mean, Hinch showed what he thought of Giles by not pitching him in game 7 of the ALCS.  Even when I was watching last night, I thought Giles was going to give up some runs and thought how if I was a Houston fan, there is no chance I feel 100% confident with Giles pitching. 

3) Even as it was happening, why did Roberts take Hill out after 4 innings?  He gave up 1 run and I know a bunch of righties were coming up but either you trust your game 2 starter or you don't.  I just didn't get it at the time but in reality, the moved worked since Maeda did his job.

4) I also didn't get why Roberts took Cingrani out and replaced him with McCarthy.  I know McCarthy was there so if the game went long, he was going to pitch multiple innings, but in the spirit of extending the game, I think I would have let Cingrani continue pitching into the next innings.

5) And while I understand doing double switching and such, there are times where I never quite understand of taking out one of your better hitters in a close game via a double switch.  Just think it can always comes back to bite you and I thought at the time that removing Bellinger was a bad decision, regardless of when the pitchers spot in the batting order was going to come up.

Looking forward to seeing how this series unfolds in Houston.

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited October 2017
    MARWEEEEEEEEEEN, ALL I DO IS WEEEEEEEN!  He has been driving me nuts by watching 3 strikes in a row and not swinging once for a strike out against the Yankees, and then tonight with 0-2 count not swinging on a fastball going right down the middle of the strike zone.  But it's alllllllll made up for by getting that home run derby started. 

Incredible.  I literally love the Astros.  Not sure how anyone in H-Town can get anything done today.  This weekend is going to be lit.  

@dochielomn re: #2 about Giles, of course not.  We watch Giles peaking through the creases of our fingers.  He'll give up a run, he'll get too many guys on base.  It's so stressful when he's out there.  But AJ Hinch is doing his best with what he has.  The alternative is Gregerson.  McCullers is up Friday.  He's been looking like he's returned to top form.  If we can somehow get 2 of the next 3 on our home field, then we'll have Verlander again for a Game 6.  :grimace:  
    JaimieT
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Been a Rangers fan all of my life, so my dislike of the Astros is heavy, but that was an incredible game last night. I hope that my boy Darvish has a great game in Houston tomorrow night and I hope this goes 7 games.
    cdrive
    edited October 2017
      Noel said:
    I hope that my boy Darvish has a great game in Houston tomorrow night
    hahaha aw hell nah!  The Houston - Dallas beef is real y'all.  The I-45 rivalry.  There was even a petition for the removal of the Texas flag from the Rangers jersey after they refused to swap home series so that Houston, still recovering from Harvey, could enjoy some home games.  I signed the petition, totally tongue in cheek, but I signed it.  Rangers did raise $1M and donated it to the relief, so good on them.  But that final series, man...uf. Stros punished them for not swapping.  

Hey, why will Texas never fall into the Gulf of Mexico? Cause Dallas sucks so hard it'll never break loose of Oklahoma.

jk jk @Noel ;   You know how it is though.  Mavs-Rockets, Stros-Rangers, Oilers/Texans-Cowboys....and just on a city hate city level too.  Cities can't stand each other.  Funny too cause most everyone I've met from Dallas, friends and co-workers from Dallas are all top notch good people, just normal friendly Texans.

Noel
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    cdrive said:
      Noel said:
    I hope that my boy Darvish has a great game in Houston tomorrow night
    Hey, why will Texas never fall into the Gulf of Mexico? Cause Dallas sucks so hard it'll never break loose of Oklahoma.
    Hey I thought we were all in this together against Oklahoma and that they're the ones doing all the sucking!

Yeah I have family in Houston so there's definitely a lot of shit talking when the sports teams start getting involved. But I always have a good time when I visit Houston and the people are always great.
    JaimieTcdrive
    edited October 2017
    Hey brother it's all in good fun.  Rangers absolutely had our number last year.  Maybe Dallas and Houston should call a truce and we all then focus our angst on Austin.   :D
    Noel
  • cdrive said:
      @dochielomn re: #2 about Giles, of course not.  We watch Giles peaking through the creases of our fingers.  He'll give up a run, he'll get too many guys on base.  It's so stressful when he's out there.  But AJ Hinch is doing his best with what he has.  The alternative is Gregerson.  McCullers is up Friday.  He's been looking like he's returned to top form.  If we can somehow get 2 of the next 3 on our home field, then we'll have Verlander again for a Game 6.  :grimace:  
    @cdrive, can't say I followed the Astros during the season but how was Giles during the season?  Looking at stats, I can see he had 34 saves but were most of those nail biters or was he money and just going through a shaky stretch now?  Because if Giles was shaky during the season then I don't see why the Astros didn't go out and trade for a better closer, or at least, I don't recall any talk of the Astros going for a closer, it was more about getting another starter.
    @dochielomn okay maybe we're a little too harsh on Giles.  We traded a ton of good prospects to get him last year, and though he started out bad, he's been really good this year.  It's just that last outing that has everyone gun shy.  H-Town in general just doesn't trust closers ever since Pujols jacked on Brad Lidge.  That, and we'll always be forever spoiled in our heads of what the perfect closer is supposed to be cause of the Billy Wagner era.  We should be okay.  It's just he only throws 2 pitches - fastball and a slider.  Live by the heat, die by the heat.  It just takes one guy to square up on his fastball and it's gone.  Seems like me personally, I've flipped to the end of a game more than I would have liked to this season and Giles is having a bad game.  Hopefully he can redeem himself from the other night. 
  • @cdrive, my opinion, Giles wasn't good in the Yankees series either and I think Hinch knew it as well, so hence game 7, 9 inning, he didn't bring Giles in to finish the game.  Looking at some stats, it appears Giles has given up an earned run in 5 out of the last 6 games he's pitched in.  Hardly what you want from your closer in October.  That's why I'm asking how Giles was like during the season and perhaps he's just picking a bad time to have a small slump.
    cdrive
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited October 2017
    I'm mad that the Cubs didn't do what it took to include Verlander in the Avila/Wilson trade. Cubs are gonna need pitching cuz I doubt they will pay Arrieta and Lackey is done/gone. It would have been a win win to get him for the playoff run this year and then have him for the next 2 years. Also while talking about Justin Wilson what the fuck happened? Dude was lights out for the Tigers then just shit the bed when he came over to the Cubs. Now the Cubs probably going to lose Davis which mean 2 straight years of paying prospects for a total of 1 and a half year rentals on closers. I think they thought Edwards was going to be ready to take the mantle after this year but obviously he's not. The Cubs have a top 3 1-8 lineup in the league but it's really looking like that might get sabotaged unless they can fix their 4-5 starters and their 7-9 inning bullpen

I Guess the good thing on the bullpen is things change every year and there are always guys who come out of nowhere to snap. 
    Aww_PHuuCk
    @cdrive, my opinion, Giles wasn't good in the Yankees series either and I think Hinch knew it as well, so hence game 7, 9 inning, he didn't bring Giles in to finish the game.  Looking at some stats, it appears Giles has given up an earned run in 5 out of the last 6 games he's pitched in.  Hardly what you want from your closer in October.  That's why I'm asking how Giles was like during the season and perhaps he's just picking a bad time to have a small slump.
    And you're absolutely right.  But it's hard to blame just him when all our bats went cold for so many games.  He has been a lot better during the regular season.  Fantasy Baseball Closer rankings have him ranked 6th overall.  4th in saves, really good era...maybe the lights were a little too bright for him.  Just needs to settle down and feed off the home crowd energy.  
  • Well, Giles has nothing to do with Houston's offense.  So in theory, if Houston gives him a 1 run lead going into the 9th inning, the closer needs to do their job and protect it.  Something like Game 2 in the world series is ridiculous for Giles to be giving up those 2 runs.  Yes, it was his second inning of work but Giles can't allow the game to be tied back up in that spot.  Fortunately for Giles, the offense bailed him out by scoring again the next inning.  Basically, one of the worst things is for the other team to not be afraid that your closer is coming into the game and instead actually saying to themselves, "good, now we actually have a chance to tie this game up or take the lead" which is what I feel is going on with Giles right now.

As for bullpens in general, for the most part, the proper line of thinking is that you can usually find a guy in your system that can do the job fairly well and not have to spend huge dollars to get a guy.  There are exceptions such as the elite-shutdown closers that are solid year to year for about 5 to 10 years if they're fortunate.  And then there are some guys like an Andrew Miller who are willing to be a team first type of player and tell the manager to pitch them whenever they need to and are extremely effective and turn out to be huge bullpen pieces.  But for the most part, you can usually find a minor leaguer to step up and knowing that they only have to pitch an inning or two, can come in and become a shut down type of pitcher. 

• MrX said:
    Saw this. Was rooting for the Astros. Now, not so much. MLB needs to suspend him at least one game. Frankly, I would suspend him the rest of the series but that may be quite severe. 
  • edited October 2017

Yeah, it's unfortunate.  I won't be surprised if MLB suspends him for 1 game.

As for the game itself, while I totally get what Hinch did by leaving Peacock in the game (and actually applaud because Peacock was rolling and I think managers sometimes go too much by the book as oppose to what they're seeing with their eyes), think it also helps further my point about his lack of trust to go to Giles.

Also, while I understand what Smoltz is trying to say about late in a game with a 2 run lead, you don't want to walk a hitter, I think him saying that a walk is worse than giving up a solo HR is just idiotic.  A HR means a run on the board and now every batter is the tying run.  A walk, while frustrating, means, you still have a 2 run lead and if you get the next hitter out, you still have a 2 run lead.  Like I said, I know what Smoltz is trying to say about earning your way on base via a hit, but saying as a pitcher you'd prefer to give up a HR, it just flat out stupid.

Really good perspective here:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dodgers-hernandez-20171027-story.html

Apologized...Darvish not offended....learned something.  Play ball. 

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm so racially and culturally sensitive I think some sensitivity should be extended to those who don't have the same upbringing as me when they don't have the same values as me. Punishment is applied when people have demonstrably refused to learn.

cdrive said:
    Apologized... Darvish not offended....learned something.  Play ball. 

Yep.
  • Unfortunately, just because Gurriel apologized and Darvish accepted it, doesn't mean that his actions don't have consequences, particularly in today's world.  So that's why I won't be surprised if MLB sends a message that this type of behavior is not accepted, regardless of the intent of it or not, and suspends him for 1 game in this series.  My guess is, if they don't suspend him and just give him a fine (disclosed or undisclosed), there will be members of the media that get outraged and say how he should have been suspended and whatnot.
    edited October 2017
    Suspended 5 games for 2018 season, not World Series.  As long as it isn't WS games I don't care. WS game suspension(s) would have punished a whole team and city.

JaimieT
  • cdrive said:
    Suspended 5 games for 2018 season, not World Series.  As long as it isn't WS games I don't care. WS game suspension(s) would have punished a whole team and city.

I dunno, I'd hesitate to think of it as a punishment to the city if MLB suspended Gurriel for 1 WS game. It would've been Gurriel who punished Houston, not MLB. The Astros have a good enough offense to beat Alex Wood so if you ask me this was an easy decision for a 1 game suspension with as little damage to Houston as possible and MLB botched it.

cdrive
    I dunno. Darvish agrees with the punishment and the Dodgers agree, so I guess I agree.  
  • See, I can't buy into the whole "1 man's actions punishing the whole team".  I mean, that happens in all of sports with any suspension.  If a player is on the team and gets punished, then no matter what, that player is subsequently hurting their own team/city.  Doesn't really matter to me either way since I have no rooting interest in this series.  Just something that now is a precedent in my opinion.  Although, reading how they actually wanted it to effect Gurriel's salary does make sense to me.
  • And I guess that's why they were hesitant to put Giles in last night... Can't imagine them putting him in for a big moment again.
  • edited October 2017
    Sorry @cdrive, watching game 4 now and knew it was probably a mistake to be bringing in Giles into this game but I also thought that maybe he was due for a turnaround but instead Giles is just reinforcing that he's in a slump right now and should be no where near a close game right now.  Hell, I even somewhat questioned taking Morton out of the game after he gave up the Bellinger double but I could buy into it to a degree.  At this point, Giles can't have any confidence in himself that he's not going to give up runs.
  • Can't tell if Game 5 is bad pitching or just good offense or a little bit of both.  Awesome to be watching though, very entertaining.
    cdrive