MLB 2017 Playoffs

Comments

• Playoff Kershaw is back. And all is right...
  • Can't tell if Game 5 is bad pitching or just good offense or a little bit of both.  Awesome to be watching though, very entertaining.
    Aww_PHuuCkkingbee67
  • And this guy has just reached ridiculous status.  Although, I'll go out on a limb and predict the Astros score off of Jansen to win the game, :).
  • I'm on mountain time and usually well protected against these games that go way late ... but goddamn it's 11pm here and the Dodgers just made it a tied game (again) in the 9th. 

This game is fucking nuts.
  • Insanity
  • WOW @MrX, that's how a fight starts out! 
  • What a dickhead. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    A lot of people here talking about that guy.  Sort of a dick thing to do, but also sort of a super awesome thing to do.  Like, you're Astros fans.  Why tf are you celebrating a 2 run Dodger home run?!  Throw that s**t back already!  Her husband's all pumping his fist & sh*t.  smh.  I love the facial expression of the guy and how he pauses for a second like "- am I doing this? Yep, I'm doing this - " haha

Also I have no voice today.  
    JaimieT
  • edited October 2017

To me, never have a problem of a fan cheering when they catch a HR ball.  I know I've never managed to catch a ball at a game so if the opportunity arose, i'd be keeping it, regardless of the situation.  Hell, if anything, could probably try selling it to a fan of the opposing team.  But funny to find out the guy was related, so yeah, potentially going to be weird at the next family gathering.

*edit, now reading an article on how the woman claims that she was going to throw it, well, I'm not so sure about, but only she knows for sure....

• cdrive said:
    A lot of people here talking about that guy.  Sort of a dick thing to do, but also sort of a super awesome thing to do.  Like, you're Astros fans.  Why tf are you celebrating a 2 run Dodger home run?!  Throw that s**t back already!  Her husband's all pumping his fist & sh*t.  smh.  I love the facial expression of the guy and how he pauses for a second like "- am I doing this? Yep, I'm doing this - " haha

Also I have no voice today.  
    It's ok if they get momentarily excited, catching a ball at a baseball game is indeed exciting! I think they should get like a 30 second grace period to process the moment, then if she didn't throw it back at that time, go ahead brother in-law, do your thing.
    cdrive
  • First, if it’s not yours don’t touch it. 

second, I’m in total “give it to a kid” camp. Cmon. Make a kids day, especially if you aren’t going to keep it yourself. 

Third, The throwing it back is a Cubs thing anyways. Don’t copy.  

Last, people are saying that that ball is worth a lot of money as it set a record. Pretty stupid to throw it back for a quick adrenaline rush of fans cheering you on

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited November 2017

Last Year we were overwhelmed with trick or treaters. This year it’s dead, everybody home watching the game.

• Was kind of surprised that Hinch immediately pinch hit for Verlander.  Clearly Verlander is better than anyone he has in the bullpen.  Especially after Reddick walked, I'm not quite so I understand not allowing Verlander the chance to get a bunt down and move Reddick to 2nd with 1 out.  Then in theory, he could have scored on the base hit by Springer.  Just wasn't a fan of having Gattis automatically out there without seeing what Reddick does (and this was before the walk).  Hell, I'll give Smoltz credit for pointing out, what if Reddick hit a HR to tie the game?  Why wouldn't Hinch have had Verlander out there to continue to pitch?
    Have to fly out to Chicago tomorrow at 5:15am. Gonna be hating life on the struggle bus. 

@dochielomn agree- should've left Verlander in.

• edited November 2017

The way this series has gone, only fitting that it will go to a game 7 and you almost speculate that it will be decided in the 9th or extra innings.

Now, I kind of wish that Game 5 was played in an NL park or by NL rules.  Can only imagine how that game goes down if the managers would have been forced to double switch and pinch hit for the pitchers.

Sorry @cdrive that you have to fly out and watch the game in a bar or at your hotel (assuming it's an over night trip and not fly there and fly back).  Best of luck tomorrow! 

• Considering the rules about sliding into 2nd base in today's game, this is just too funny to not post:

hisdudeness915
    Thanks @dochielomn - yeah it'll be in an airport bar.  Reppin' Houston w/ my Stros hat in Chi-town today. 

Hoping for the stars to align for us tonight!! 
    JaimieT
  • Apologies to Astros fans, but this series needed a game 7. I love WS game 7's ... all bets are off, everyone is available to pitch (except last night's starters), aw yea.
    JaimieT
    Getting some Astros love from all the workers at the McCormick Place right now. Lol Cubby fans want vengeance after the NLCS.  

It's funny and weird cause we we're always pretty hostile to each other when we were in the NL.  We'll take it though.  Boo Dodgers. 

Hatorian
  • Granted, game is far from over, but have to think that Springer is the lead candidate for MVP right now.

Also, wonder what's going on with Darvish.  Either a) since Darvish has been in the American League, perhaps Houston hitters have seen him plenty and were comfortable facing him? b) it's a long season, Darvish isn't use to pitching this long and he's just got nothing left? or c) a little combination of both?  Don't think it's just he had a bad night because Houston got to him in game 3 as well, so twice is more than a coincidence.

lol this whole Ohare bar is rooting for the Astros. The bartender is all "I hate the Dodgers."  (No offense BM Dodger fans; I don't hate you).   Dude even gave me a free beer a waitress messed up.  Play ball.

• cdrive said:
    lol this whole Ohare bar is rooting for the Astros. The bartender is all "I hate the Dodgers."  (No offense BM Dodger fans; I don't hate you).   Dude even gave me a free beer a waitress messed up.  Play ball.

As a Cubs fan I can tell you we are all rooting for the Astros. 
    cdrive
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Congrats to the Astros. Sucks that my boy Darvish went completely off the rails in his two WS "starts"  :/
    cdrive
  • Congrats @cdrive and any other Astros fan on this board.
    cdrive
  • Boy. As a Rangers fan, this is hard, but credit where it is due. Astros, you did it, you
    are the World Champions. Enjoy it, because you never know when you might be back. But sincere congratulations to the organization and all the fans.
    cdrive
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    YAS STROS. There was much jumping up and down and crying for me. (Most tears from that marriage proposal.)
    cdrive
    edited November 2017
    Hi fives @dochielomn @Hatorian @Noel @Aww_PHuuCk  @sean.ray   @JaimieT ;

How great is baseball!? Cubs finally did it and then Astros finally did it!   

When has a #1 pick proposed after winning it all? Wow to that too. 
    JaimieTAww_PHuuCkNoel
  • edited November 2017

Funny, I watched the on-field celebration until the first commercial break and then flipped it off when it sounded like they were going to start with trophy presentations and such.  Didn't see anything about a marriage proposal until now.

Congrats to @cdrive and any other Astros fans on the board.  Now that you've climbed to the mountain top, enjoy it for as long as possible!  It takes a lot of effort and some good fortune to stay there.  But clearly, with a lot of young players, the future is mighty bright and promising for Houston.

As for game 7, I was disappointed but enjoyed it at the same time.  Disappointed only from the stand point that it wasn't the back and forth game as some of the others have been in this series.  Had the Dodgers been able to move some runners along (rather than striking out) or just get a big hit in those first couple of innings, the game would have been more exciting.  As it was, I sat there and laughed and though about how if the Dodgers had not started Darvish, in theory, they wouldn't have given up a run.  Although, by being down 5 runs, slightly less pressure just because you're already down and no one would really blame you (as a pitcher) if you gave up a run or two.  However, it was still interesting because I think someone like Bill Simmons tweeted something like "has a 5 run lead ever felt less safe" just because we all knew that Houston's bullpen was their biggest weak spot.  LA just couldn't get that 1 or 2 hits they needed to get themselves back into the game (and clearly they had opportunities to chip away but it appeared their hitters started to press and were trying to hit HRs as oppose to trying for a base hit somewhere).

Here's a question which Hinch should have gotten killed on had they lost, McCullers claimed after the game that going into his start, in game 7, that he knew he had nothing left and that his team also knew that and that he was just going to try to gut it out.  UUUUUHHHHHH, excuse me?  Why even start him or have him in the game then if he's telling you he's got nothing???  If my pitcher is telling me that, then I promptly thank my pitcher for being honest and kindly inform him that I'll be going in a different direction for a Game 7 starter.  I know it worked in the end, but that has to be noted as bonehead move.

But, after typing all of this, once again, congrats to Houston, they earned it!  Enjoy the moment!