GOT security may be using anti-Drone eagles to take down drones on outdoor sets

Just imagine the LOTR eagles intercepting the Nazgul and their fell beasts.

Filming is set to begin in a week or so, as the actors arrived this past weekend for the read-through. Unlike past seasons, they aren't allowing them to take selfies with the fans in town. 
Seems a bit much, since fans are going to report the sightings regardless, and us confirming that the actors are filming doesn't give away spoilers (minus potentially Tormund & Beric, if you actually believe that they are dead).

Comments

• Lmao that would be wild. Wouldn't it be easier to deploy other drones made to take out drones? Or does that not exist?
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    @jazzminawa You would have to have someone pilot them who's good enough and some sort of drone disabling mechanism because you probably can't just shoot it out of the air. All of that is a lot more expensive than an eagle.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL

@jazzminawa You would have to have someone pilot them who's good enough and some sort of drone disabling mechanism because you probably can't just shoot it out of the air. All of that is a lot more expensive than an eagle.

Plus when the drone owner complains, you can just throw up your hands and say "NATURE!"
    budesigns
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Potential spinoff? lol
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 11
    Clearly they've employed the service of some real life wargs to help with security.
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    At least we will have some sweet drone vs eagle footage pop up soon... Esp if there are multiple drones recording it.
    akritenbrink
  • I remember hearing about birds being used to intercept drones flying into prisons on the Important if True podcast. Not sure the eagles will ultimately be able to defend us from the rise of the machines, though; for that we have to turn to the insects.
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited October 12
    I have a reasonably sized 4K camera drone and wouldn't want it to get attacked by an Eagle.

Not for my drones sake, but I would think would seriously fuck up the poor eagle if not kill it. 6 9" crazy-sharp counter-rotating blades vs feathers and hollow bones wouldn't end well. The one shown a couple of clicks in on the link above is a fairly small one, not something that would be used for set spying.
    How will the eagles know what to do? Same as the ravens know where to deliver the messages? lol
    How will the eagles know what to do? Same as the ravens know where to deliver the messages? lol
    Lots of training. These birds don't give a F. And a lot of these "spy" drones aren't real heavy duty metal-blade having drones. It's just fans with decent drones and good cameras attached to them. Most of the ones I've seen from set footage are the ones similar to that in the video below.

• I'd still want to build them some custom leg armor  :)

But yeah, the blades are probably no scarier than going up against another eagle
    All the Chickens
    I know. We have eagles around here, they are huge and fearsome, and they occasionally decide to circle above my house if my cats are outside, one of which is like 20lbs. I was just trying to make a joke about the ravens, but i guess it didn't land lol.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited October 14
    I remember hearing about birds being used to intercept drones flying into prisons on the Important if True podcast. Not sure the eagles will ultimately be able to defend us from the rise of the machines, though; for that we have to turn to the insects.
    Or the White Walkers!!
  • Eagles are actually pretty scary. 

I used to volunteer at an animal refuge and we had a wildlife expert say even bears avoid fucking with Eagles. If an eagle wants to start eating off a Bear’s dinner the bear will just roll with it. 

After all, if the bear kills the eagle, it’s not calorically dense enough to make it worth the fight. If the bear doesn’t kill the eagle he risks being down an eye from a razor sharp beak and those talons. 

Eagles are legit apex predators.   I think in a fight with an unarmed dude and a pissed off eagle, the eagle wins. 

Also, they can swoop and “punch” their prey with enough force to knock out a grown man. I listened to a podcast with a falconer that works with Golden Eagles who said he got his signals with his bird mixed up and the animal hit him with full force. He was unconscious for at least several minutes. 

Drones do do not stand a chance. I mean, Golden eagles hunt Mongolian wolves. 
    weeniegirlakritenbrink
    gjulleen said:
    Eagles are actually pretty scary. 

I used to volunteer at an animal refuge and we had a wildlife expert say even bears avoid fucking with Eagles. If an eagle wants to start eating off a Bear’s dinner the bear will just roll with it. 

After all, if the bear kills the eagle, it’s not calorically dense enough to make it worth the fight. If the bear doesn’t kill the eagle he risks being down an eye from a razor sharp beak and those talons. 

Eagles are legit apex predators.   I think in a fight with an unarmed dude and a pissed off eagle, the eagle wins. 

Also, they can swoop and “punch” their prey with enough force to knock out a grown man. I listened to a podcast with a falconer that works with Golden Eagles who said he got his signals with his bird mixed up and the animal hit him with full force. He was unconscious for at least several minutes. 

Drones do do not stand a chance. I mean, Golden eagles hunt Mongolian wolves. 
    I remember watching a documentary regarding our fear/obsession with dragons throughout human history by cultures who never interacted with each other, and eagles came into play. It's easy to see how early human interaction with large birds of prey like that would embed an innate fear of them and other large predators (including large snakes, crocs, lions, etc), enough so that our evolutionary human instinct would combine them to create our worst nightmare that is eerily similar throughout many different ancient cultures.