What's Been Missing

Hey there AHS fans,

I just started listening to the AHS podcast this season. My husband listens religiously to the Bald Move GoT podcast so I decided to check out if there was something AHS related and was happy to discover there was!

The short of it: I hate this season so far.

I've actually been doing a re-watch of the first 5 seasons (I just recently fininished Roanoke this summer) and I've come to realization that what's missing in this season (and in the last, too) is tragedy and tragic figures. It's the heart of the show. It's not the horror elements, the gore, and whatever else. The real horror story comes from the stories that have moved me to tears.

Denis O'Hare's character in Hotel.
Jessica Lange's story arc every season she was in always brought me to tears.
Basically all of season four.

But in the last season, and this season especially, I'm not really feeling moved. Even Kai's backstory, which could have been the perfect opportunity to make us feel something for him (even if it was, at the very least, just pity), was lacklustre. I do find myself feeling a bit sorry for Ally, but that feeling is short lived because her character quickly finds a way to grate on my nerves.

I'm still hopeful, but as of yet nothing feels believable. Would Ivy really team up with this band of psychos? I don't buy it. Could a cult like this really succeed? I'm skeptical. It's not a believable cult, period. I'm definitely bummed, I was very much looking forward to this new season. Last season, at least, felt scary. There was plenty of creepiness going on. At this point, all I'm tuning in for with AHS: Cult is the beautiful house.
TravisTaraC73alina_mac

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It is gorgeous.  I do kind of feel silly for not mentioning that glaring problem with the Cult.  None of the cultees have any ties to each other except for Kai.  Him being all things to all people works one on one, but why the hell would one armed MAGA man share the same room as Ivy or vice versa?  Or Winter for that matter.
    Travisalina_mac
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    @janepatrickmarch you’re right! I’ve only watched hotel, Roanoke and a few episodes of this season but the tragedy of Liz was SO sad I found myself tearing up a few times. Even Kathy bates’ character was tragic. I’ll take your word on the other seasons...

I enjoyed the storyline this season, I stopped watching two episodes ago as the clowns were just too much... knowing that they show that they are just our known characters in masks might help me so I’m going to give it another try... it’s scary, and somewhat interesting but you’re right - Sarah Paulson grated on my very last nerve and is a huge distraction! I hope she’s not on next season...
    janepatrickmarch
  • It is gorgeous.  I do kind of feel silly for not mentioning that glaring problem with the Cult.  None of the cultees have any ties to each other except for Kai.  Him being all things to all people works one on one, but why the hell would one armed MAGA man share the same room as Ivy or vice versa?  Or Winter for that matter.

Kai is that ultimate leader so to speak to bring the people together. We could say the same about the flock of JW's ;) or almost any cult. Sometimes it's one idea, othertimes it's one leader. I do think they all have become disillusioned with society or someone close to them. Kai has given them all a common goal to reach that in their vulnerable state can agree upon.