Episode 513 - "Forget"

Director: David Boyd
Writer: Corey Reed

Comments

• What a great episode. The tension of watching the group trying to fit in was great. This might be one of my favorite episodes
    TaraC73Elisa
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    edited March 2015
    trippy said:

I don't understand the lack of comprehension as to the fact that there are people that will want their stuff. 

The beautiful dramatic irony there IMO is that by far the threat closest to home is Rick's group itself. Plotting to "take this place" by force from within the moment they show weakness, stealing guns, playing down their badassery.

This irony doesn't even escape Rick as he pretty much expresses how stupid they are for recruiting them in the first place during the interviews :)

I love how beautifully this dynamic is crafted between the two groups with clearly conflicting ideologies. As a viewer it's tantalizing that our heroes might turn into the villains at any moment. It's almost a perfect analogy for immigration and integration in general. Much can be gained if it succeeds but equally many things can go wrong if it blows up.
    TravisElisa
  • edited March 2015
    A couple of random thoughts...

Was Abraham hitting on Michonne? I got a bit of a flirty vibe on his part during the porch scene.

The scene with Sasha and Spencer seemed entirely pointless.
    The pasta maker stories were just terrible writing. 

I liked Shasha freaking out at the party and yelling at that woman. Their weakness is being constantly illustrated throughout these party scenes. These people need a serious wake up call about the dangers of the world. 

Why was Jesse's husband being so nice to Rick at the party when he was a total asshat on the porch the other night.

Again, Noah's character is totally pointless. Not sure why they are trying to integrate him more into the story/group. He's just boring boring boring. 

Where is Father Gabriel?

Does everyone have their own house now?
    Elisa
  • I like how the Mayor Lady was all like, Okay Rick you can have Sasha on the lookout tower or whatever but first you have to come to this super cool party I'm throwing you. 
    Alex
  • I love Undercover Carol....using applesause for eggs and listening in on secret meetings. 
    Travis
  • The sexual energy between Aaron and Daryl was elextric!
    CharInAKleigh_is
  • When Aaron invited Daryl inside to eat spaghetti did anyone instatly imagine a lady in the tramp style scenario involving the noodles? 
    TaraC73TravisElisa
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    So I guess Mr. Architect is alive, huh? Did it not seem like Deanna was talking about him like he was dead before? I could have sworn that was all but stated directly, but I suppose not. 

I also didn't recognize Spencer at first. Seemed like he was clean shaven last week and a whole lot more douchey.

I liked the pasta maker bits, they just shouldn't have dropped both mentions within five minutes of each other. Made it seem a little forced.

I'm actually a little tired of the gang carrying on about how weak these people are. Certainly they are in some ways, but they've been alive for 3 years or however long it is. The walls are obviously working. The roaming threats on the show far haven't even been that significant. The "Claimed" group might have been the worst. Obviously the governor took his show on the road a couple times, but how many people A) have a tank, and B) know how to drive it and shoot things with it. It's likely just a matter of time before someone poses a significant threat, but for the most part they're sitting pretty. They've hinted at this Wolves group now a few times, so we'll see what happens there. Everything Rick suggested makes sense though, and Deanna's resistance doesn't. It's not so much weakness as arrogance/hubris, which Rick is guilty of himself. I don't think you can blame the people inside the walls too much for thinking they're safe.

TaraC73AlexElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @chrisk - Spencer is not the same character from last week, that was his (presumably) brother, Aidan.
    TravisElisa
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Ah, ok. That makes sense. 

Also, totally agree with Aron about Jesse's speech. To me it's not even that it's repetitive, it the vagueness those speeches always have. "What we had before, it was good, but it's different now, and it's not so bad, and everybody's had something happen, and that changes us, but we're still the same, and we're also different, but we can be the same again in a different way...." Arrrgh! How about we at least get some personal anecdotes peppered in there. 
    steph_bElisa
  • The remixed speech as meta commentary on the Kirkman REEEEMIX?
    TaraC73Elisa
  • brewseveltbrewsevelt Boston, MA

A couple of random thoughts...

Why was Jesse's husband being so nice to Rick at the party when he was a total asshat on the porch the other night.

I think it's to show that he is a Jekyll n Hyde character. You can see that a little at the party when he was all nice then said he was going to get he and Rick a refill. Jesse offered to go and he was all dickish that he would do it. Plus, HE NEVER CAME BACK. Leaving a man hanging for a drink.
    Original_JosephTravisElisa
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Another good epsiode, that makes three in a row and four out of five for this half season. Carol man.... just magnificent. watching the live cast of the guys, I had the same exact reaction, just blown away during that scene! Speaking of the live watch, when Rick went for the kiss with Jessie and A Ron made the joke about him sucking her eye out of the socket had me crying. that was perfect.
    TravisElisa
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015
    chrisk said:

So I guess Mr. Architect is alive, huh? Did it not seem like Deanna was talking about him like he was dead before? I could have sworn that was all but stated directly, but I suppose not. 

I'm glad someone else thought this too. I was really confused when he showed up.

I know it's been said, a lot, but goddamn Carol was terrifying in that scene with the kid. Holy shit! That was awesome/awful/perfect. I'm super psyched about Undercover Carol. Unfortunately, I think that like the prison killings I think this will come out with huge consequence. I wonder if the mayor will accept "Carol being Carol, dawg. She'll kill a person or two and she'll scare the hell out of some kids but she'll come in like the Predator if you're ever in a hostage situation." I wonder if Carol is on the death watch clock now. I mean that was Rick's soon to be lady's kid that Carol was implanting nightmares into, and as we've seen even when it's not extracted upon kids Rick doesn't agree with Carol's particular way of getting her hands dirty. Between Rick's potential moral outrage and the disappointment that Carol will experience in Rick and Daryl acclimating this could get pretty volatile. Very, very interested in how all of this could potentially play out.

I really liked this episode. A little slow sure, but I really liked how surreal the party felt and I loved seeing Daryl finding a place for himself. I like that Rick is going to start shaping things up around the town. It's true, what A. Ron said about Jessie's speech, but it also felt a little different to me because of the stark circumstance change. All in all, I'd give it about an 8. The show has taken a really great turn. Way to go, Gimple.

Also, no details because I know some people don't watch it, but the "next time on" and realizing that there are only 3 left in the season left me quite excited for next Sunday. Hell yeah!

UnderwoodElisa
  • Rick got that crazy Governor look going on towards the end of the episode. Also sort of a call back to governor watching dead heads when he was listening to the walker in the other side of the wall
    AlexElisa
  • I'm sick of people going outside by themselves. If you run into a stealth walker or even just twist your ankle, you're dead.
    ElisaBRONCOTRUCK11
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

I'm sick of people going outside by themselves. If you run into a stealth walker or even just twist your ankle, you're dead.

I get where you're coming from, but in this instance I think it represents choices that the characters would honestly make. Daryl is just being Daryl, he's going to go where he wants when he wants, and I think that Sasha is so deep in PTSD that she is more comfortable accepting the danger (and the quiet) of solitude beyond the wall than this totally surreal community that she finds herself in. I know a guy who was homeless for a few years and for the first few months after he found a place to stay and had a room he would still with some frequency go out and sleep in his car parked in front of the home where his room was because this whole new life gave him so much anxiety even if it was a warm bed after being out in a car for so long. Change is hard and it was just different than what he was accustomed to. Now, there are no zombies where he lives, but sometimes even if the choice seems obvious the psyche can give you trouble accepting it. I think she is just having a really, really tough time accepting this community, and I think there is enough of a self destructive edge that kind of creates a feeling of "bring 'em on" as well.
    Original_Josephksa1001
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    With full motor skills and cognitive abilities, Aaron couldn't catch buttons for 2 months.  A bunch of slow zombies... 2 minutes. 
    Original_Joseph
  • joschmanjoschman Fargo, ND
    I'm probably the umteenth person to point this out, but the Carol's shirt collar out then in then out editing had me laughing. It seemed almost intentional to give it that b movie horror feel. I would like it if it was.
  • colleencolleen wisconsin
    I'm sort of starting to dislike Rick a little bit lately.  I mean, hitting on another man's wife is pretty douche-y.  Yes, we are all assuming the husband is an asshole or abusive or something like that, but really Rick doesn't know that yet.  The whole Rick putting his hand on the gun behind his back thing after eyeballing the guy had me annoyed.  Come on, Rick!  You are supposed to be a better man than that.  I dunno.  I get that they are trying to show that our "heroes" are sort of the anti-heroes in this town but I'd still like to be able to respect the man.
    Elisasteph_b
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    saw this on the walking dead wiki page, and thought it was interesting that the last five episode titles of this season are from Dale's season two speech when he's asked about why he still looks at his watch. "I give you a mausoleum of all hope and desire which will fit your
    individual needs, no better than it did mine and my father before me. I
    give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you may forget it. For a moment, now and then, and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it."
    TravispavlovsbellJohn_NadaTaraC73ArctorbrewseveltElisaSpookycat4FlashGordonlittlemissscifiand 2 others.
  • @Underwood That's a trip. Great find.

Underwood
  • Carol was totally channeling Grant in that scene:

ksa1001
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @Underwood Oh, interesting.  IIRC, Dale was quoting Faulker's 'The Sound and the Fury.'
    TravisUnderwoodArctorElisasteph_b
  • John_NadaJohn_Nada California

TravisUnderwoodksa1001
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I don't think Carol is psychotic or sociopathic. She's not unfeeling - she's just incredibly pragmatic. She's in 'kill or be killed' mode - she killed the sick people to prevent (she thought) the illness spreading, she killed the kid who WAS psychotic to avoid her harming anyone else - specifically Judith. And now she is threatening the cookie kid to guarantee he won't blab and endanger her or her 'family'. Carol is the most sensible person in the group.
    brewseveltElisaTravisSpookycat4
  • MichaelMichael Virginia
    Great episode!

No one pointed out the cool blood splatter on the camera when Aron head shot a walker. Seemed a nod to old school horror.
    Elisa
  • I don't even know where to begin!

Sasha-Loved it!  I'm so glad they did that because I feel like at least one of them would have blown a head gasket at that dumb party.  

Daryl- I think it wasn't the bike as much as him feeling valued by Aaron telling him he had the skill to tell good people from bad. Daryl always has done better when he feels like people value him for who he is.  I wonder if it was a Tuesday or a Wednesday when they were having spaghetti!!!  Tee Hee-I miss Hershel.

Rick-WTF? I am in this for the characters and I actually felt like this was a bit out of character for Rick.  I'm not buying the "he's just changing into someone who does whatever he wants story".  For me I'm going to push this into fitting by reminding myself that I've always seen Rick as being two clicks away from bat shit crazy, not Governor or Gareth crazy, but just babbling "I can't take this" crazy.  I swear, when you do re-watches its always amazing to me how often he looks like he's on the verge of tears.  Anyway, I'm going to chalk this one up as a Lori in a white dress moment.      

Finally-Carol!!!!!!!  That was AWESOME!  As I was watching I was thinking, "damn, now she's going to have to worry about this kid maybe telling and there's nothing she can do about it".  HA!!!!  Then she dealt with it.  I was like, "oh…okay…that's an option".  I thought it was just incredible and she was so detailed about what she was saying!  Ha!  She had me scared LOL.  

As for some things people have been saying-I am always into the psychology of the characters and I don't think Carol is any more damaged than the rest of them.  What I do think is that she's very goal oriented in her thinking and quickly makes calculations about what is best for the group as a whole.  It could be argued that this might be a skill she picked up from "that stupid wonderful man" Ed.  There were likely lots of times when she had to quickly calculate the best way to keep Sophia and herself as safe as possible.  In my mind every time Carol has done something wacky she has done it because in that moment she weighed the potential harm to the group against harming individuals and the group won.  I suppose people can argue about her conclusions, but I picture that as being her process.

Love her!!!!!

Travis
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    trippy said:

I get  what you are saying.... but this is a kid.  A, what, a 7 or 8 year old kid? A non psychotic, perfectly innocent kid that just wanted cookies.

Just wanted cookies and was going to go report back to his mother that he saw the cookie lady stealing guns from the pantry.

Carol isn't psychotic. She is a smart woman protecting her family.

Elisa
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    Dee said:

she killed the sick people to prevent (she thought) the illness spreading, she killed the kid who WAS psychotic to avoid her harming anyone else - specifically Judith.

Wasn't 'The Sound & the fury' about a kid with downs syndrome who got castrated after being blamed of sexual assault? I read it in highschool, I remember it was really confusing.