FORUM MAINTENANCE TODAY!

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Hey everybody, I just completed the crucial initial backup of the server before I fuck with it step, and I'm about to upgrade the server, database, and forum software that this here board runs on.  Things may get weird.  Comments and messages and activities from this point until I call "all clear" might vanish.  The site may break entirely.

What you do with this info is up to you.  You can read and comment on threads if you're a daredevil, whatever, man, it might even work.  I'm not planning on losing data, you know, just being cautious.  Don't want people to be upset.  

Also, forum rules apply.  Just because the forum world might be ending there is no reason to descend into barbarism. Okay, I'll keep people updated as I go in this thread, and I'll post a stickied "all clear" when it's finished or I give up and restore from backup, whichever comes first.

Comments

• Coincidence that you are doing forum maintenance on the same day as the premiere to Mr. Robot Season 3? Hmmm...
    hisdudeness915
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Well, one of the steps is to run f_soc.sh, what could go wrong?  I gotta say, as a former sysadmin, I cannot believe how far automated self service control panels have come.  So far I've upgraded mysql, php, did an ad hoc database and system backup, and an integrity check and clean up on the database with nothing but mouse clicks.  We don't use MediaTemple for our main site anymore because we outgrew them, but good gravy they make it easy to do all this.

Now, of course, watch it spectacularly fail with no easy recovery option any second now...
    KingKobrahypergenesb
    Testing...
    KingKobra
  • edited October 11
    1,2,3, quoting was broken, but replies work.
    KingKobra said:
    1,2,3, quoting was broken, but replies work.
    I think it's fixed now.  A LOT changed in the wysiwig editor stuff.  And that might need to be refined as we go.
    KingKobra
  • Still broken on my side (mobile site). It says "The quote had to be converted from HYML to TexEx. Some formation may have been lost." The quote button puts a "null" in comment box.
    Murderbear
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Omg emojis! >:)
    KingKobragguenotTaraC73
    KingKobra said:
    Still broken on my side (mobile site). It says "The quote had to be converted from HYML to TexEx. Some formation may have been lost." The quote button puts a "null" in comment box.
    Now? 
  • null

Same (see above)
    What the fuck?  I quoted you on mobile!  Haha, what mobile browser are you using?
    KingKobra
    BTW, search is finally fixed!!!
    Alkaid13JaimieTMichelleFernNYC17KingKobragguenot
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 11
    Quoting still broken on mobile. I tested it on Chrome and Safari. There's a problem with the conversion from HTML to Text somewhere and the quote turns up null as a default I assume. Maybe someone on desktop could check the error codes?
    Testing.
    > @A_Ron_Hubbard said:
    > Testing.

Testing.
    > @A_Ron_Hubbard said:
    > Testing.

Testing.

Testing.
    > @A_Ron_Hubbard said:
    > Testing.

Testing.

Testing.

Testception.
    > @A_Ron_Hubbard said:
    > Testing.

Testing.

Testing.

Testception.
    Wysiwyg test now.
    > @A_Ron_Hubbard said:
    > Testing.

Testing.

Testing.

Testception.
    Wysiwyg test now.
    Final test.
    Okay, mobile folks happy now?  REFRESH PAGE BEFORE RESPONDING!
  • null
    null
    null

Still null on mobile.
    Alkaid13 said:
    null
    null
    null

Still null on mobile.
    Working for me on mobile chrome. Are you sure you refreshed? And / or close out tabs and start fresh? This is either caching or the config keeps resetting on the server after I fix it, which is mildly terrifying. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Alkaid13 said:
    null
    null
    null

Still null on mobile.
    Working for me on mobile chrome. Are you sure you refreshed? And / or close out tabs and start fresh? This is either caching or the config keeps resetting on the server after I fix it, which is mildly terrifying. 
    On iOS/Safari and it's working for me.
  • Michelle said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    null
    null
    null

Still null on mobile.
    On iOS/Safari and it's working for me.
    Working now. Had to clear cache. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Hey @A_Ron_Hubbard, question about the repaired search function.  I tested it and did a search for This Is Us, and it reported no results.  However, there is a thread with This Is Us in the title.  Weird.  Do we need to be ultra specific?
  • Hmm got some new features I see. 
  • The search feature appears to search for words matched in the threads but not for actual thread titles. 
    @Michelle - try "this is us".
  • Nothing doing on any variation of "this is us". 
  • edited October 11
    Still no delete comment option? Some posts just don't translate well in text form and I'm reminded of all my inadequacies in comedy, empathy and articulation.   So I have to PM mods at 3 AM, alert them to my human inadequacies and pin point the specific moment where I was a shitty person, and hope they understand.  That's the system we're still using?
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited October 11
    Oh my God! I can easily upload photos from mobile now! Yay!!!
    KingKobra
This discussion has been closed.