Eps3.0power-saver-mode.h

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Written and directed by Sam Esmail.
KingKobra

Comments

• Wasnt sure if you were covering this show again. Heres to hopin season 3 is a lot better than season 2!
  • Going to have to watch this episode again, but I thought it was good. We are still in phase two and are seeing a real struggle between Elliot's personalities. Love Bobby C in his role, the right amount of comedic darkness for his character. 
    ElisaTrew
  • Yup Cannavale is a great addition to the cast. I thought it was a really solid episode, I'm more excited now to see where the season ends up! Definitely need to watch again. I am glad that they have figured out a way to still use Christian Slater without it being dumb/tired. Because more Slater is a good thing.
    CretanBullElisaKingKobraFlukesGredalBeeTrewMelonusk
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Oh, Angela.
    Elisa
  • Oh, Angela.
    So many people hate her, but I think that she's the most interesting character on the show.
    DrewElisa
  • edited October 12
    Because of some of the writing choices, it's easy to forget how confident and stylish this show can be.  I really liked this episode as a premiere and it looks like we're getting heavier sci-fi elements too.  I just hope they're not trying to do another "twist" with Darlene.  I don't want an 8 episode arc or have to run her dialogue through a frequency spectrum to figure out if she's flipped or has other motives.  Surely Esmail learned his lesson.

And yeah, I really like Angela.  She's an extremely alluring character and I'm buying whatever Esmail is selling when he just puts the camera on her face.  I'm always fascinated by her and it makes me envious of Duck Phillips.
    Elisa
  • 52 mins..... this better be good 
  • MelziMelzi Melburn, Australia
    Well I'm much more hopeful for season 3 after this episode. Let's hope we get a whole lot more hacking and an actual plot this season. Angela is finally a real person again. And, did they just confirm the time travel theories??
    Elisa
  • great start to the season. Sort of annoying that Tyrell is "missing" again, but the sequences while the power was out had some incredible, thick, atmosphere. Felt the most "end of the world" I've seen yet in this show. Very cool
    KingKobraElisa
  • Are we getting a pod for this season?

• Are we getting a pod for this season?

No...just kidding, yes...comes out on Friday I think? (Can't remember the schedule exactly). 
    ElisaTrew
  • Normally, I hate Bobby Cannavale. It's not a rational reaction. He just rubs me all kinds of wrong in most of his performances. But so far, I'm loving what he's doing on Mr. Robot. 

Re: Angela. About midway through Season 2, her journey (which is a legitimate transformation) became the most interesting on the show for me. The actress has really grown into the role and has a much better command of her performance the deeper we go into this story. 
    Elisa
  • Normally, I hate Bobby Cannavale. It's not a rational reaction. He just rubs me all kinds of wrong in most of his performances. But so far, I'm loving what he's doing on Mr. Robot. 

Re: Angela. About midway through Season 2, her journey (which is a legitimate transformation) became the most interesting on the show for me. The actress has really grown into the role and has a much better command of her performance the deeper we go into this story. 
    Agree, Angela was poised to be the naive love interest or victim or something along those cliched lines, and instead they turned her into a really compelling character.
    Elisa
  • I’ve never directed a tv show or have any knowledge about this, for warning, but I thought it was interesting that they had the section with real life events like Trump and building the wall. Was that an add in last minute you think?
  • I’ve never directed a tv show or have any knowledge about this, for warning, but I thought it was interesting that they had the section with real life events like Trump and building the wall. Was that an add in last minute you think?
    Much of that is "old" enough to have been put in during production. These days post production can go up until the day before or week before airing. 
    Elisa
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited October 12
    KingKobra said:
    I’ve never directed a tv show or have any knowledge about this, for warning, but I thought it was interesting that they had the section with real life events like Trump and building the wall. Was that an add in last minute you think?
    Much of that is "old" enough to have been put in during production. These days post production can go up until the day before or week before airing. 

I was watching the season premiere of Supergirl the other day (hey, don't judge) and there was a throw-away line from Callista Flockhart's character talking about the president (played by Lynda Carter in this universe) that "The President is not a moron"

This was probably about 18 hours after the news story about Tillerson calling Trump a moron was at full tilt in the news cycle. Either somebody did some crazy fast edits, or the the script writers have some pre-cog working for them  :)

hisdudeness915
  • Pretty good premiere! We steins gate now. 
    Alkaid13Elisa
  • So is this show going full sci-fi then?
    Elisa
  • That was a pretty good premiere, I can easily believe someone like Angela buying into the alternate realities plan. Darlene is definitely working for the FBI with the way she's pushing for info on Tyrell. I think the covert war of Mr. Robot "fixing" Elliot's fucking with the plan is a solid use of the split personalities conceit. Overall I'm cautiously intrigued by this new direction. 
    ElisaTrew
  • The idea that Trump got elected in a post FSociety economic and social collapse is almost more believable than real life events right now. Which is both funny and sad. 
    ElisaCretanBull
  • Alkaid13 said:
    So is this show going full sci-fi then?
    I would say no, it may be an element, but never full sci-fi. It may be looked at as too close to The Mateix ;) 
    I like Angela and the actress who plays her a lot, but she is tragically naive. She thinks she can play both sides of Elliott against each other and somehow get revenge on Ecorp, which let's not forget, is her employer that she's trying to get Elliott/Mr. Robot on the "inside" of. She thinks she can "manage" Elliott and keep Dark Army at bay. Things are not going to end well for her. 

Overall I really liked the episode. I liked the atmospheric vibe and I thought it was kind of nice to have a mental break from the mysteries and illusions and just have a kind of straightforward narrative setup for what the season will be about. The only mental trickery/illusion was the Elliott/Mr Robot stuff but that's already firmly established and known by now and even that was dealt with in a more straightforward way.

Alkaid13 said:
    So is this show going full sci-fi then?
    Are you talking about Angela's references to the possibility of time travel or something? I took that as just her being naive and trying to think about and express something that she doesn't understand. She's clever enough, but she's not as wildly intelligent as most of the other main characters (Elliott, Darlene, Whiterose, etc). I think she was overly convinced by Whiterose's trickery that something beyond reality is possible when Whiterose probably has more prosaic motivations (control of the world economy or something).
  • I like Angela and the actress who plays her a lot, but she is tragically naive. She thinks she can play both sides of Elliott against each other and somehow get revenge on Ecorp, which let's not forget, is her employer that she's trying to get Elliott/Mr. Robot on the "inside" of. She thinks she can "manage" Elliott and keep Dark Army at bay. Things are not going to end well for her. 
    -----
    Are you talking about Angela's references to the possibility of time travel or something? I took that as just her being naive and trying to think about and express something that she doesn't understand. She's clever enough, but she's not as wildly intelligent as most of the other main characters (Elliott, Darlene, Whiterose, etc). I think she was overly convinced by Whiterose's trickery that something beyond reality is possible when Whiterose probably has more prosaic motivations (control of the world economy or something).
    I don't think that's the case at all.  I think Angela is fully on board with Whiterose's plan because she believes that she can reverse everything that has happened.  I don't think it's time travel, but rather parallel universes.  The scientist who's seen walking through the hadron collider talks about parallel worlds unfolding and the possibility of a connection between different iteration of ourselves.

Later on in the episode, when Elliott kisses her she pulls away.  She doesn't want to get close to him (emotionally) and that's when she asks him what he'd be willing to sacrifice if it were possible to make it seem like none of their experiences happened.  I think the implication is that Whiterose has asked her to betray Elliot (that's the price she's willing to pay, and the reason why she doesn't want to grow closer to him) and her reward will be connecting her with a parallel universe version of herself - one where her parents didn't die.  I don't think she's motivated by wanting revenge on Ecorp, I think she's motivated by doing whatever it takes to get to a place where it never happened.  Whether that promise is trickery or something that can be delivered is yet to be seen, but I think the possibility of a re-set like that gives the series a conclusion that it can work towards.

ElisaTrewMelzibizmarkiefader
    Maybe. I don't think of this series as sci-fi at all, so I don't see an outcome like that coming. But I definitely could be wrong.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited October 13
    Wow, we went from hidden prison for the first 4 episodes of last season to let's lay most of the cards out on the table in episode 1.  Bold move.
    akritenbrinkElisa
  • Cold Fusion is still on the table, especially after the scene inside the power plant and when the power came back on at the very end of the episode. But it doesn't mesh with Angela's "make it so none of it ever happened" dialogue.

Here's a new idea though, what if Elliot doesn't have a split personality in a clinical sense. What if Mr. Robot during the course of his work at Washington Township knew he was dying and the project Rose alluded to enabled Mr. Robot to upload his consciousness (a la Vulcan mind meld technology) into Elliot?

Maybe White Rose's sell to Angela was Rose offering Angela the ability to combine her dead mother's consciousness into her own. I can see Angela rationalizing having a Mr. Robot-like relationship with her mother as "making it so it all never happened". I think it's more probably, however, that Rose is using emotional manipulation against Angela to get what she needs from Elliot, knowing full well she couldn't deliver.
    akritenbrink
  • Well, he episode was entertaining and interesting..... so there's that...... 
    Elisa
  • Maybe. I don't think of this series as sci-fi at all, so I don't see an outcome like that coming. But I definitely could be wrong.
    I think this is the question that might be the focus of the season, perhaps in a Leftovers type of way - is it real, or isn't it?
    Elisa
    Maybe. I don't think of this series as sci-fi at all, so I don't see an outcome like that coming. But I definitely could be wrong.
    I think this is the question that might be the focus of the season, perhaps in a Leftovers type of way - is it real, or isn't it?
    I don't watch the Leftovers so I don't get that reference. But I'm hoping it's real because one thing i appreciate about the show is its pretty unique depiction of a protagonist with a dangerous mental illness.

Predicting Mr. Robot is a loser's game though, and it might just be wishful thinking on my part.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Des Moines
    Melzi said:
    Well I'm much more hopeful for season 3 after this episode. Let's hope we get a whole lot more hacking and an actual plot this season. Angela is finally a real person again. And, did they just confirm the time travel theories??
    They sort of teased it, but Sam shot that down in an interview with EW: 

"The problem with time travel — I’ve always said in the writers’ room that whenever you introduce time travel, it’s game over. Then all of the rules go out the window. Throwing out time travel in the middle of a series run is a little late."

I do think that parallel universes is a possibility, though. 
    ElisamwspiakMelzi