Mindhunter

This show is damn fantastic. Clearly Fincher and I love it. Easy 10 ep that bald.move would love for podcast. The psychology and everything else they go into regarding murderers and just people in general is fascinating and so damn well done. The 3 main characters are well writter and acted. The production value is on point and the flow of their "mission" is tight and always engaging. Must watch.
GredalBeeJovial_Falconpicorock80Dani_ArmindoLeahra821

Comments

• Going to binge it with the Wife his weekend. Glad it's getting good reviews. 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I watched two episodes so far, moving a little slow so far. Kinda makes me think it’s like the sequel to Zodiac.
  • I've seen half of the season, and I find this show very interesting. Solid performances, good writing. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I feel like this is one of those shows that makes people feel smart watching it - lots of talk talk talk but nothing happens. Jonathan Groff is a super awkward actor and a lot of the dialogue is very stilted and cringy. I’ve seen 3 episodes and I’ll keep watching because a) I’m sick and have nothing else to do, and b) Groff’s sidekick and the guy who plays Kemper are really good. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Ok so - How dark is the show? It kind of intrigued me, and i am getting into crime shows but some are too dark, and the concept behind it seems like it could get really dark.
  • Ok so - How dark is the show? It kind of intrigued me, and i am getting into crime shows but some are too dark, and the concept behind it seems like it could get really dark.
    Very dark. its not for the squirmish. Just one example, they show pictures of a sodomized little boy. 
  • Yea. The lead actor isn't the best. I cringed a few times with his acting. 
    Dee said:
    I feel like this is one of those shows that makes people feel smart watching it - lots of talk talk talk but nothing happens. Jonathan Groff is a super awkward actor and a lot of the dialogue is very stilted and cringy. I’ve seen 3 episodes and I’ll keep watching because a) I’m sick and have nothing else to do, and b) Groff’s sidekick and the guy who plays Kemper are really good. 
    JTKIII
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Hatorian said:
    Ok so - How dark is the show? It kind of intrigued me, and i am getting into crime shows but some are too dark, and the concept behind it seems like it could get really dark.
    Very dark. its not for the squirmish. Just one example, they show pictures of a sodomized little boy. 
    hmmm I don't know if I could handle that. 
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Haven't watched it yet, but if it's anything like Zodiac, I am in 10000% in.

Also, Johnathan Groff is the best. 
    Vasilnate1
  • WintersComingAfterFallWintersComingAfterFall New Haven, CT
    edited October 2017
    Its very much like zodiac which is why i love it. Doesn't have that cast of.course but i think theyre pretty good. And the main fed is supposed to be very straight-laced but awkward. It works for me as well how they make u feel about him from ep 1 to ep 10. Weird arc but interesting.
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    edited October 2017
    Does it get any better after episode one?  It was very boring so far and the main character is like Dennis from It's Always Sunny trying really hard to suppress his Hamilton/Glee roles.  The writing/dialogue is just awkward AF.
  • picorock80picorock80 San Bernardino Ca
    I was hooked when each episode since 4 started with a short vignette of Dennis Rader. I felt so smart for calling that but then felt weird thinking my serial killer knowledge is on point. 
  • I really liked it, the supporting cast is definitely better than the lead actor but I don't think he's completely terrible, just not as good. Ed Kemper is creepy as fuck, definitely my favorite character/role in the show.

Anyone interested in this show should also check out Manhunt, it's a really good companion show to this. Also on Netflix (in the US at least), it's a Discovery miniseries about the FBI search for the Unabomber, I really liked it as well.
    picorock80
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Just watched the first episode and thought it was great, can't wait to get stuck in to the rest. Serial killers are my jam!
    picorock80JaimieT
  • I think Holden is supposed to come across as awkward.  For the show he seems deliberately modeled on (pre Benedict Cumberbatch) Sherlock Holmes.  Take the scene where he analyzes his GF for ex.

Tench is the most interesting character for me.  You can see he's under enormous stress but he still manages to barely keep from exploding.

I wonder how they will handle Dennis Rader in season two.
    picorock80
  • picorock80picorock80 San Bernardino Ca
    *spoiler* that last scene on ep10 with Ed Kemper & Holden was intense. Just like in Zodiac and the basement scene. Both gave me goosebumps. Kudos David Fincher. Also I ❤️ Anna Torv. She was great in Fringe. 
    BlanchTravis
    I just started tonight, and I am already on ep. 7. I don't think I have ever blazed through a series so fast. As true crime is a big interest of mine, this show is Christmas. How did I not know that Fincher was working on a show about a couple of FBI agents that started mapping out the behavior of criminals to realize there was such a  thing as serial killers??? This is everything I ever wanted Fincher to do. Especially in a TV series form. 

Do the main characters have Rust and Marty chemistry - no, but who does? I think what they are working with is pretty damn great. And I know Groff's character is a bit boring, but as it's based on a real guy, Fincher doesn't usually like to stretch the truth too far. And all the psychology of these killers - stuff we take for granted today but was still such a mystery back then is UTTERLY FASCINATING. 

JaimieTpicorock80Travis
  • Wait people don't like the lead? I think he's fantastic, and his chemistry with his partner is great. Loved the montage of them on the road. I'm 4 eps in and a fan. Yet another gorgeous looking Netflix/Fincher production.
    Travis
  • I overall liked the show, but I'm not as crazy about is as a lot of people seem to be, Fincher or no. I think in a world where there are a million Criminal Minds-like shows and movies, showing the origins of the research doesn't add much to the topic.
    I didn't mind Holden, I think he's supposed to come across as awkward, but I couldn't stand any of his scenes with Debbie. The scene where they first met was especially cringeworthy and I never felt like there was any genuine chemistry between them. I also felt like apart from Tench's family the other relationships were very flat and clichéd.
    Also, so many loose ends, my god! I like ambiguity and open endings, but this is just chock full of them. For example the mustache guy, Dennis or whatever his name was - what on Earth was the point of all his cold opens? Yes, I know, Google can tell me who he is, but I wanted the show to tell me. I mean, it's one thing to tease the viewers through a season, but two seasons? Meh. Another one is the initial case, and later on Tench calls the detectives about it being a nautical knot and to look into it, but nothing ever comes of that either. And just a whole bunch of stuff like that which lead nowhere. And don't even get me started on Anna Torv, the cat and the tuna cans. If there's some symbolic meaning there, it went way over my head, and if there isn't, then what the fuck.

Despite all these criticisms, it was still extremely bingeable, and the performances are solid, so I'm still in for season 2.

Deepicorock80All the Chickensphoenyx1023
  • I don't really see it as being in the same category as straight-forward serial killer shows like Criminal Minds. I think it's more of a deep look into society using the psychology of "deviants" as the backdrop, and while set as a period piece, really feels very timely and relevant to the current state of the world.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm coming from The Wire, so I haven't noticed how slow it's moving.  :D  I'm on episode 3 and it's okay so far. I'm a psychology nut, so for me that's its main appeal. 
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Watched the first 2 last night. The subject matter is obviously dark, but I think it's the most lighthearted serial killer show I can remember. Genuinely funny at times. I never would have thought a road trip montage would be interesting, but stuff like that helps buoy the show.

There are a lot of cliches, but so far it's playing with them pretty well. Serial killer drama. The name of the show is awful - sounds like a bad CBS procedural. Young kid shaking things up, challenging the old guard. But it's not taking itself too seriously. The kid is not some stubborn overly confident jerk who's always right. His superiors challenge him and sometimes have a good point. His girlfriend challenges him and improves him, and he knows it and appreciates it. The characters respect each other.

Really liked the scene in the police department when you can tell he's losing the cops and that cringy feeling sinks in. Then the old cop who you think is a dismissive jerk comes up and asks for their help. It starts to look like they're going to find something he missed, but the kid just says "we don't know, we can't help". They're not super geniuses.

I like that it's really about the leads and not one particular case or killer.

And I just realized Anna Torv is part of this show starting with the next episode. Really missed her since Fringe.
    (Not reading this thread too much yet because of spoilers.)

I can't tell if our main character is a bad actor or he's going to snap at the end and kill his girlfriend. 
    Dee
    Wow, did they just equate hiding one's romantic partner with hiding one's temporary job? D'okay. 
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited October 2017
    Digressing a bit, but It's weird how often people perceive quality of acting differently. 

MrXDeeTravis
    Very bingeable.

I love everything when they're talking to criminals.

Anything else varied from cringey to dull. I think the show could have been a lot better with some rewrites/refocusing. I'm not sure I'll watch another season. But the talking to serial killers parts are so fun...
    bizmarkiefader
    As a true-crime nut, i knew exactly who that was when the title read, "Park City, Kansas"  But I understand how a lot of people don't. I think what they are trying to do there is start these parallel storylines and I am guessing in the next season they will converge. We are seeing these agents start to collate all these behaviors these men have and at the same time, we are watching a man exhibit mimic some strange behavior. A lot of it mirrors what our agents learn - these men stalk these women - we see him scoping out a house. We learn that some mine bind their victims - we see him practicing knots. 

Actually, if anyone is willing to talk potential spoilers - I am really interested as to why they chose that particular guy to set up....

@Reni
    picorock80
  • aberry89 said:
    As a true-crime nut, i knew exactly who that was when the title read, "Park City, Kansas"  But I understand how a lot of people don't. I think what they are trying to do there is start these parallel storylines and I am guessing in the next season they will converge. We are seeing these agents start to collate all these behaviors these men have and at the same time, we are watching a man exhibit mimic some strange behavior. A lot of it mirrors what our agents learn - these men stalk these women - we see him scoping out a house. We learn that some mine bind their victims - we see him practicing knots. 

Actually, if anyone is willing to talk potential spoilers - I am really interested as to why they chose that particular guy to set up....

Maybe they chose him because he didn't get caught until 2005? They probably want to keep him around for a few seasons.

If you like true crime, you might want to check out Last Podcast on the Left. They have covered all the major serial killers on their podcasts, in an unique and hilarious way (not for everybody, though!).
    picorock80
    Oh girl, I am way ahead of ya! ;) I've been listing to LPOTL for about 3 years now :)  I actually just did a relisten on BTK and had totally forgotten he wasn't caught till 2005!!

Which makes the choice of him interesting. You'd think they choose a killer that would be caught somewhere in the mid 70's, the 80's. I could see that being the resolution of the show - catching a killer who's behavior they now have solid profiles of. But my guess is, there is a bleaker end coming our way. No matter how much information you gather, there are those that slip through the cracks.

Until they mail a floppy disk to the police, after specifically asking them if it can be traced like a fucking idiot. XD

@Dani_Armindo ;
    Dani_Armindopicorock80
  • aberry89 said:
    Oh girl, I am way ahead of ya! ;) I've been listing to LPOTL for about 3 years now :)  I actually just did a relisten on BTK and had totally forgotten he wasn't caught till 2005!!

Which makes the choice of him interesting. You'd think they choose a killer that would be caught somewhere in the mid 70's, the 80's. I could see that being the resolution of the show - catching a killer who's behavior they now have solid profiles of. But my guess is, there is a bleaker end coming our way. No matter how much information you gather, there are those that slip through the cracks.

Until they mail a floppy disk to the police, after specifically asking them if it can be traced like a fucking idiot. XD

@Dani_Armindo ;
    Yay, a fellow  LPOTL fan!! I also went back to the BTK episodes. As a matter of fact, I just finished part 2 today (the birth of Detective Popcorn!!). I am definitely curious to see how all this is going to unfold. It's going to be a looooooong way until season 2!
    picorock80