U.S. Politics episode 4: A New Thread

Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
edited October 15 in General
Respect the rules, don't be an asshole, peace. 
TaraC73

Comments

• If you strike it down, it will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. 
    Travis
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Alkaid13 said:
    If you strike it down, it will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. 
    I do not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation. 
  • I actually meant the thread. 
    Alkaid13 said:
    I actually meant the thread. 
    I dunno, I was just trying to copy a starwars line 
    Alkaid13
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 15
    Oh I didn't actually remember that line. Clearly I lack faith. 
  • Anyways, I'm curious if Steve Bannon thinks his starategy of challenging sitting GOP members in run offs will work out. I mean I guess he must think it'll work out great or else he wouldn't be doing it. 
    edited October 15
    Alkaid13 said:
    Anyways, I'm curious if Steve Bannon thinks his starategy of challenging sitting GOP members in run offs will work out. I mean I guess he must think it'll work out great or else he wouldn't be doing it. 
    The point is probably to scare them on board, this theory has come out that if republicans just cooperate more with democrats more people will like them, problem is, how much democrats like you as a republican member doesn't matter because democrats never vote for republicans. 

New strategy, play ball or we'll primary you out. It is maddening to me that so many people stuck their necks out to support Trump, who won an improbable election, saved the Supreme Court, and has resulted in the biggest electoral shift right in decades by mobilizing voters who were marginalized previously, and these elite republicans won't back the agenda. If it results in some losses so be it, if Lisa Murkowsi wants to be a democrat then fine, she should stop calling herself a republican when she voted every time for a full repeal no replacement bill when it was a symbolic vote, but now is holding out. So I agree with Bannons strategy. At the very least it should get these people thinking about their constituents. But it doesn't do the party any good if party members are breaking ranks and sabotaging the platform instead of working with the other members. 
  • I guess it's too early to predict if this will benefit or harm Republicans overall until we see if these priamary challengers actually amount to anything concrete in 2018 probably. I mean Moore beat Strange but that seems to have more to do with Strange being a bad candidate than Moore being a great candidate. 
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Oh I didn't actually remember that line. Clearly I lack faith. 
    I find your lack of faith disturbing. 
    Alkaid13
    Alkaid13 said:
    I guess it's too early to predict if this will benefit or harm Republicans overall until we see if these priamary challengers actually amount to anything concrete in 2018 probably. I mean Moore beat Strange but that seems to have more to do with Strange being a bad candidate than Moore being a great candidate. 
    Well Remember Lisa Murkowski lost her primary election in 2010, but the candidate that beat her had some baggage and scandal and so Murkowski won a write in campaign. plus Alaska was Trump Country, I'm willing to bet she gets primary'd this year. 
    edited October 15
    But isn't she up for reelection in 2022? That's a long ways and another presidential election away. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    First page I have posted on. 
    Alkaid13 said:
    But isn't she up for reelection in 2022? That's a long ways and another presidential election away. 
    Yeah... damn you're right, I thought she was up this year for whatever reason.... Now all my years are running together. whoops. 
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    Not 100% US politics, but has anybody been following the on-going actions in Iraq?  Basically when ISIS rolled in, the Iraqi Army fled while the Kurds remained and/or eventually took back their home cities.  Now Iraq wants those cities back and has started fighting the Kurds in order to take them.  Just happens that the Kurds also voted to become their own nation recently too.  

While the Kurds have their own issues with radicalism, etc, they have been a FAR more reliable ally over the years in the fight against terrorism than Iraq ever has been.  Plus, their military isn't laced with cowards like a large part of Iraq's is.  Yet the US continues to allow them to be treated unfairly and favors Iraq.  Makes no sense other than oil.  Every time a major ISIS commander has been killed, it was Kurds fighting alongside the US.  
    edited October 17
    As far as I can tell, US middle eastern policies are mostly a series of confusing and counterproductive decisions and tactics sometimes punctuated by moderate successes which are usually undone within a few years. 
    edited October 17
    Alkaid13 said:
    As far as I can tell, US middle eastern policies are mostly a series of confusing and counterproductive decisions and tactics sometimes punctuated by moderate successes which are usually undone within a few years. 
    More like Great Britain royally f'd up and we are left holding the pieces 

and France, the Middle East was captured from the Ottoman Empire as spoils and the European empires simply divided it amongst themselves without regard to what they were doing, it's like the Israel issue, The British basically promised a Jewish state after World War One, causing tens of thousands of ziolnists to take up arms for Britain during the war, then backtracked immediately after. The British and French could've created a Kurdistan and in fact this was an issue after World War One, instead they rolled Kurdish areas into their respective mandates, Iraq and Syria 
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited October 17
    Is this the sort of regulation that should be rolled back according to truck driving libertarians??

LINK

I like my meat inspected, and bridges, and coal mines . . . 

• Thomas said:
    Not 100% US politics, but has anybody been following the on-going actions in Iraq?  Basically when ISIS rolled in, the Iraqi Army fled while the Kurds remained and/or eventually took back their home cities.  Now Iraq wants those cities back and has started fighting the Kurds in order to take them.  Just happens that the Kurds also voted to become their own nation recently too.  

While the Kurds have their own issues with radicalism, etc, they have been a FAR more reliable ally over the years in the fight against terrorism than Iraq ever has been.  Plus, their military isn't laced with cowards like a large part of Iraq's is.  Yet the US continues to allow them to be treated unfairly and favors Iraq.  Makes no sense other than oil.  Every time a major ISIS commander has been killed, it was Kurds fighting alongside the US.  
    The Kurds are the best of the bunch when it comes to that part of the world.  The US won't back them because they're partners with Turkey, and Turkey hates the Kurds - and definitely don't want a Kurdish country on their border.
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Anyways, I'm curious if Steve Bannon thinks his starategy of challenging sitting GOP members in run offs will work out. I mean I guess he must think it'll work out great or else he wouldn't be doing it. 
    The point is probably to scare them on board, this theory has come out that if republicans just cooperate more with democrats more people will like them, problem is, how much democrats like you as a republican member doesn't matter because democrats never vote for republicans. 

I know plenty of Democrats who have voted Republican. Growing up in New England there was actually often desire for more balance, despite the strong liberal population, hence Republican senators & governors in Maine, Mass, NH and even Vermont sometimes.  And definitely a lot of voters for both Bushes (before GWB dug in with the Christian-right), and McCain. Just within my family - my parents and aunts and uncles that were born in the 50's and early 60's were very liberal growing up but as they aged were open to voting for fiscally conservative Republicans who didn't push a hard-right social agenda.

And as someone in my mid-30's I know a lot of people my age who would likely identify as Democrat that have voted Republican sometimes in the last 15 years.

But certainly not as common in the last 7 or so years, because both sides have been more polarized, but specifically the R's becoming more influenced by the Tea party and now the so called "alt-right" has turned off many Dem's who may have on the past voted for a moderate Republican, at least the one's I know.
    KingKobraDaveyMac
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I've voted for both Republicans and Democrats and will continue to do so. 
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline

when is it going to be enough?
  • Frakkin T said:

when is it going to be enough?
    He waited 12 days to make that call...he had 12 days to think about what he was going to say and that's what he came up with.
  • 45 has zero common sense, decency, empathy, or compassion.

Not that I ever thought he had any of those things to begin with, but ... damn!  He sinks to new lows every day.

:s  :s :s
    CretanBull
  • edited October 18
    Look, I dislike Trump as much as the next guy, but the full quote is he “knew what he signed up for … but when it happens it hurts anyway”.

A little callous? Sure, but not as bad as only saying, "he knew what he signed up for.", which is what's grabbing all the headlines.  Also, the soldier was a Green Beret who's much more likely to be in the shit than your average soldier.

The more damning thing from this whole ordeal is Trump's trademark self-aggrandizing when he said, “So the traditional way, if you look at President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn’t make calls, a lot of them didn’t make calls,” which we all know is utter horseshit and Trump is just speaking out of his ass. Also, 12 days is way too long to wait to call.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/17/trump-to-slain-soldiers-widow-he-knew-what-he-signed-up-for/
  • Look, I dislike Trump as much as the next guy, but the full quote is he “knew what he signed up for … but when it happens it hurts anyway”.

A little callous? Sure, but not as bad as only saying, "he knew what he signed up for.", which is what's grabbing all the headlines.
    Ok, you're right, that is a bit better.
    I agree, still callous, but not *as* callous.
    They shouldn't have edited that quote.  He legitimately makes himself look bad enough all the time for real - they don't need to manufacture things.

All that being said - I still stand behind my previous comments about his lack of common sense, decency, empathy, or compassion though.
    darwinfeeshyCretanBull
  • Look, I dislike Trump as much as the next guy, but the full quote is he “knew what he signed up for … but when it happens it hurts anyway”.

A little callous? Sure, but not as bad as only saying, "he knew what he signed up for.", which is what's grabbing all the headlines.  Also, the soldier was a Green Beret who's much more likely to be in the shit than your average soldier.

The more damning thing from this whole ordeal is Trump's trademark self-aggrandizing when he said, “So the traditional way, if you look at President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn’t make calls, a lot of them didn’t make calls,” which we all know is utter horseshit and Trump is just speaking out of his ass. Also, 12 days is way too long to wait to call.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/17/trump-to-slain-soldiers-widow-he-knew-what-he-signed-up-for/
    I really don't think that qualifier changes anything.  It's not that he's wrong, it's who he said it to and the circumstances around it.  He said something that two guys sitting in a pub talking about it might say to each other...but he said it to the guy's widow.  Trump waited 12 days to make the call, played golf on the day his body was repatriated and then spoke to a grieving woman in the most casual of ways imaginable.  He's a vile person.
    darwinfeeshy
  • edited October 18
    I really don't think that qualifier changes anything.  It's not that he's wrong, it's who he said it to and the circumstances around it.  He said something that two guys sitting in a pub talking about it might say to each other...but he said it to the guy's widow.  Trump waited 12 days to make the call, played golf on the day his body was repatriated and then spoke to a grieving woman in the most casual of ways imaginable.  He's a vile person.
    we're totes in agreement about Trump being a vile person, and we can agree to disagree that the qualifier doesn't change anything.

I'm not gonna waste any more time quasi-defending Trump, lol.
    CretanBullakritenbrinkJaimieT
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    Look, I dislike Trump as much as the next guy, but the full quote is he “knew what he signed up for … but when it happens it hurts anyway”.

Green Berets are more likely to be in the shit, but they are also much better trained than the average service-member to react and handle themselves when in it. Plus, Green Berets are in countries like Niger, Jordan, etc training local forces how to defend themselves.  They aren't running around making contact and killing people, that is the job of the indigenous people they are training.  So family members don't EXPECT you to be more likely to be killed since you are elite.  

Trump dropped the ball waiting so long.  He never does the "right thing" until the media is hounding him to do so.  Pathetic.
  • And then when he gets called on not doing the expected thing he deflects and blames everyone and everything other than him. It’s not my fault I lack basic human emphathy, all the other presidents were worse, or it’s the generals fault for misinforming me, or it’s fake news CNN, etc. Way to respect the troops there buddy. 
  • Like you’d think that among the various duties of the President that he’s just piss poor at handling, making simple but meaningful public gestures would be one of the few things Trump would be good at but nope.