Everyone ready for the Next-Gen console (us Sony people at least)?

CoryCory New Scotland
edited October 2017 in Gaming
PS5 release date, news and rumours and everything we know

If the PS5 does end up released that early (2018), isn't that fairly short between generations, especially with "in-betweener" consoles like the PS4 Pro and soon to be released X-Box One X?

PS5 release date - Could THIS huge game be a launch title for PS4 successor?

Comments

• I don't think PS5 is coming out in 2018. I'd be willing to bet 2019. 
  • edited October 2017
    No, it would actually be the normal time between generations, the last generation was just super long. In the US at least the Playstation came out in 1995, PS2 in 2000, PS3 in 2006, PS4 in 2013. The Xbox came out in 2001, 360 in 2005, XB1 in 2013.

That said I think the last gen sort of set a new normal for longer release cycles, so I would be kinda surprised if the PS5 is released at all in 2018, the earliest I would expect it is Q3/4 2019.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I'd imagine 2019 as well. 2018 seems pretty early. It seems like they just released the Pro not that long ago. 
  • I thought it was always Next-gen Console = what's been in my PC for an year

:)

darwinfeeshy
  • They released the pro a year ago, there's no way a PS5 is coming that soon. The way things have shifted over the last few years the whole 'next gen' thing might be done, we're probably looking at series of half steps like the pro and the scorpio with games that will run on multiple generations and eventually phase out old hardware. We're past the days of super specific custom hardware and cell processors and cartridges and shit like that, these things are basically just small purpose built PCs now.
    Cory
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    redlancer said:
    I thought it was always Next-gen Console = what's been in my PC for an year

There's always one in a crowd 

redlancerdarwinfeeshyMurderbear
  • Woah no way. Late 2019 or 2020 I think 
    Murderbear
  • edited October 2017
    While I agree that this recent trend of mid-generation upgrades (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X [stupid fucking name]) is only going to increase, I think we are still a ways out from being done with console generations. 

Console generations will still be a thing for at least another 2 generations, I bet. After that, I think consoles will start to adopt some sort of modularity where you can easily slide in a better graphics card, more memory, etc., but I think that's at least a decade or so in the future.

redlancer said:

I humble myself before thine superior graphical capabilities, but I must contest, dost thou not play any platformer, fighting, or couch co-op games? For they are easily more enjoyable on a console system.
    Frakkin T
  • As someone who owns a PC gaming machine, an XBox and PS. There's pros and cons to each. PC is definitely best for graphics and I play all my RTS on it. But I love my consoles for ease of use, playing with friends and reliability. There's no perfect system. Eventually we will get there when consoles become easily upgraded where you can take it into a store and upgrade graphic cards, processors, fans, etc. 

People who bash PCs or consoles are usually people just trying to feel good about the one they bought. 
    darwinfeeshyAlkaid13
  • I’m more curious about whether Nintendo is going to make a new handheld console or just go all in on the Switch being both home and handheld.  
  • @Alkaid13 It seems like they set themselves up perfectly to go all in on the Switch. I really hope they don't put out another handheld when it seems like all those kinds of games are perfect for the system they already have. It already sucks that new Metroid is 3ds only.
  • While I agree that this recent trend of mid-generation upgrades (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X [stupid fucking name]) is only going to increase, I think we are still a ways out from being done with console generations. 

Console generations will still be a thing for at least another 2 generations, I bet. After that, I think consoles will start to adopt some sort of modularity where you can easily slide in a better graphics card, more memory, etc., but I think that's at least a decade or so in the future.

What does next gen mean to you now? We'll probably still see numbered consoles for marketing reasons but the way these things are built now I don't think there's going to be any major hardware jumps breaking compatibility the way we think of like NES->SNES->N64->GC.
  • @bizmarkiefader
    I generally agree although the Switch isn’t exactly the most optimal handheld console. Like I can’t slip it into my pocket like a 3DS. 
  • @Alkaid13 I hope if they do go that route they at least keep the games compatible across both. Like a Switch pocket or something that has a smaller screen and can't dock but still runs the same games.
  • I definitely think the 3DS is nearing the end of its run. I can’t imagine they’ll be making many new 3DS games this time next year. I kind of think the next Nintendo console might just be an upgraded version of the Switch, it seems like the basic ideas in it are all solid. 

• redlancer said:

I humble myself before thine superior graphical capabilities, but I must contest, dost thou not play any platformer, fighting, or couch co-op games? For they are easily more enjoyable on a console system.

Actually, don't really play too many games anymore. My PC is relegated to more production level tasks like After Effects and 3D modeling for work and fun. My gaming is mostly screwing around with the Oculus Rift and the occasional round of Dirt Rally/4 when the buddies are around.

Just threw it out there as some friendly trolling since I know it will drive some folks off the deep end  :)  
    Frakkin T